Teleportation

Soldato
Describing a single photon as an object is really pushing it.

I assume if you could trap an array of photons (billions or trillions of them), you could certainly have an imaging device... not sure how long it takes to entangle two of them, let alone 1e(9+) of them...
Got to start somewhere!

Soldato
I've never understood why people would want to use a teleporter like this. Your creating a digital copy, destroying yourself then reconstructing it in the other location. Its basically what happens in the prestige but instead of drowning the original your destroying it.

Soldato
I've never understood why people would want to use a teleporter like this. Your creating a digital copy, destroying yourself then reconstructing it in the other location. Its basically what happens in the prestige but instead of drowning the original your destroying it.

:confused::confused:

This is a huge step in long range instant communication, not really anything to do with 'teleporting' or 'copying' any person or object

Soldato
OP
Well I certainly don't like the sound of me being murdered and having a copy of me walking around lol

That said, I do like the idea of having two of me. God knows I need an extra pair of hands at work.

Soldato
When people talk about this, they forget that all our cells are replaced every 7 years or so anyway, so are we just a perfect clone of ourselves a decade ago?

Whoosh (kind of)... ;) I was joking based on the age-old philosophical arguments along these lines, for example Theseus' Paradox. Star Trek also opened up the can of worms and the debate continues to this day. By the way the '7 years' thing is a little misleading, as it's actually more of an average. Some parts of your body regenerate entirely much more quickly (for example your stomach), and others much more slowly or not at all.

Soldato
When people talk about this, they forget that all our cells are replaced every 7 years or so anyway, so are we just a perfect clone of ourselves a decade ago?

the difference there surely is between an ongoing process of change compared to a wholesale change.

it's the old "will my conciousness seamlessly transfer" question, which tbh until someone is brave enough to step into a teleporter we'll never know.

the same logic applies to transferring conciousness into an entirely mechanical body, is it "you" that falls asleep in one body and wakes up in another, or do "you" die and a clone is born in a different body.

the answer to both these questions in terms of "what happens when i close my eyes" will not truly be answered until someone tries it and relays their experience of the process.

Soldato
:confused::confused:

This is a huge step in long range instant communication, not really anything to do with 'teleporting' or 'copying' any person or object

You cannot communicate over distances with quantum entanglement, you will simply know that your particle is 0 and mine is 1, but we cannot communicate this to each other, nor can we change the state of the particle.

Caporegime
You cannot communicate over distances with quantum entanglement, you will simply know that your particle is 0 and mine is 1, but we cannot communicate this to each other, nor can we change the state of the particle.

And with enough entangled particles, it should be entirely possible that enough 0s and 1s to make a message, differentiating is impossible but i'm sure there's away to figure the message out.

Soldato
And with enough entangled particles, it should be entirely possible that enough 0s and 1s to make a message, differentiating is impossible but i'm sure there's away to figure the message out.

Not really. The two particles are entangled in that yes, if one is measured to be spin-up, then we can deduce that the other is spin-down, however in practice the measurement is probabilistic, so while we can know what the other is, we have no way of "setting" the spin of one photon without influencing it and therefore breaking the entanglement.

Say you had 8 pairs of entangled particles, that you create on earth, and 8 particles stay there, while you send 8 to the moon. On earth, you can then measure those 8 "bits" and generate a random number. Now the people on earth know what both the random 8 bit numbers are on both earth and the moon, and the moon people can also measure it and know, but it doesn't change the fact that the "information" is still random, there's no way to influence the result to actually transmit any meaningful information. Although, you can actually use it for highly secure cryptographic keys.

There is also no way of knowing if the other side have "checked" the particles, so you couldn't even do something like a 2xN grid of particles, and check one column. For each bit that comes out as what you want, check the next bit in the column over. Unless we discover some new physics, it's ultimately fairly useless.

Soldato
the difference there surely is between an ongoing process of change compared to a wholesale change.

it's the old "will my conciousness seamlessly transfer" question, which tbh until someone is brave enough to step into a teleporter we'll never know.

the same logic applies to transferring conciousness into an entirely mechanical body, is it "you" that falls asleep in one body and wakes up in another, or do "you" die and a clone is born in a different body.

the answer to both these questions in terms of "what happens when i close my eyes" will not truly be answered until someone tries it and relays their experience of the process.

If anybody has played soma, thats what it reminds me of.

Back
Top Bottom