Consumers have paid too much for electricity and gas transmission and distribution

Soldato
It would be an incentive to reduce usage through insulation and turning things off. Less power demand and power generation required.

Agreed it is not a greenhouse gas, but the waste heat has to go somewhere, absorbed by land, sea, atmosphere. Therefore it does contribute to global warming.

It only contributes because the mechanisms that would ordinarily deal with excess surface heat get compromised by the increasing levels of greenhouse gases. So your statement is technically not correct as a standalone comment.

Soldato
it's a nice idea, but if we're talking about implementing something unpopular in order to reduce emissions from energy why not simply ignore the nimby's and build some more nuclear power?

Yeah, why not? Do we actually need nuclear power, though, if we can reduce energy consumption dramatically across the country?

That would mean admitting renewable energy is a failure. :D

It's not. You're just wrong.

Soldato
It's not. You're just wrong.

It's making nice strides don't get me wrong.

I see we (the UK) set a record last month... during a 30 minute period on one of the hottest days of the year... although some of that was still imported. Still reliant on biomass (which is technically renewable, but burning wood? hmm.) and nuclear.

This push for electric cars will make for interesting times... Charge a car overnight during an off peak tariff? Renewables will only ever get you so far...

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, why not? Do we actually need nuclear power, though, if we can reduce energy consumption dramatically across the country?

even if we reduce power consumption by a chunk there's still going to be massive power demand, and that's not going away any time soon.

simple thing is until we can get energy storage cracked on a large enough scale renewables are going to be limited in effectiveness. (power only when it's sunny, windy, or the tide's going rather than corresponding to load)

Soldato
I don't understand the mentality of try to reduce prices everywhere, at least for those who aren't living in poverty or on the edge. One massive issue in terms of energy that we have in this country is that there is absolutely no incentive for homeowners to make their homes more efficient. It costs too much and energy is too cheap for them to bother.

We have a country of poorly insulated and inefficient homes, and unless they're new builds, this is not going to improve. This is one of the major points (among very few) that I disagree with Labour on - we should not be capping energy prices.

Well I live in a well insulated new build with features to reduce water and energy use, why should I still pay more for electricity and gas?

Caporegime
OP
things are changing massively, national grid is no longer the system operator, that is now a seperate company. Their monopoly is soon to be challenged as other firms will now be able to tender for work that previously was done only by them. competition is coming and that will drive down prices.
No, National Grid is still the system operator. It's going to be a separate legal company in future...within the National Grid group.

Back
Top Bottom