Royal International Air Tattoo 2017

Man of Honour
Hello - I'm off to this tomorrow morning and a quick google reveals lots of stories of people struggling to get in. We have some club tickets so have access to the 'VIP traffic' route... anyone have any experience of how good this is, in reality? Hoping we don't have to leave at 4am :o :p

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Haven’t been for a few years, but last time I went I timed it to get there just after the car parks opened, and the traffic was not too bad.
Was quite good actually as it was a good time to look at the static exhibits without crowds.
Getting there anytime 9am onwards will mean you get stuck in serious queues.

I’d also advise leaving as late as possible as well rather than straight after the last dispaly.

Man of Honour
OP
So just on my way back from this - rocked up about 8 in the VIP queue and it was fine. No waiting really, parked up in 10 mins from the purple signs.

Really enjoyed the show! Seeing the Lancaster bomber and spitfires was cool and I was wowed by the Offsprey so much that I waited to have a peak inside the static one. Not an aircraft person at all but could appreciate it all.

The club was decent to get out of the rain in the morning but nowhere near as impressive as some of the Ascot clubs food or otherwise. Food was alright but the experience really feel like it was value nor particularly plush... but it was alright!

Shame we didn't get to see the Eurofighter or the Raptor but you can't win them all. Loved that Turkish display with the guy on the tannoy - he was jokes :D

Man of Honour
OP
I'll be on the Pimm's flight deck tomorrow.
Nice - enjoy! I thought I better add that I'm not sure if the Pimms FD gets VIP traffic privileges so FYI your experience of parking might not be as smooth mine! (As in, don't rely on me saying parking wasn't an issue).

Hopefully you have better luck with the weather :)

Soldato
I only live 20 mins away so know all about the usual traffic issues, I'll be there for gate opening at 7.30 ish :D

Soldato
sadly no it doesn't get VIP parking either.
for £234 quid for two it should come with a heli flight and a reach round IMO!

Man of Honour
OP
sadly no it doesn't get VIP parking either.
for £234 quid for two it should come with a heli flight and a reach round IMO!
lol know what you mean... we had 'aviation club' which IMO wasn't as nice or exclusive as the price suggested... welcome coffee was 'instant from a jar type' and the biscuits must have come from the supermarket value range :o

Still, we then had nice seats indoors for the grim weather and the food certainly wasn't 'bad' - think I was spoiled by Ascot 'villiers club' tbh, that was ace.

Associate
I arrived around 7.50 on the red route & had maybe 20 mins of queue - Not bad really.
Have to say by around 3pm & was feeling a bit deflated with the weather & the F22 having been canned but after the Mirage, Rafale & Flanker displays all was well. Afterburners :cool:

Soldato
I arrived around 7.50 on the red route & had maybe 20 mins of queue - Not bad really.
Have to say by around 3pm & was feeling a bit deflated with the weather & the F22 having been canned but after the Mirage, Rafale & Flanker displays all was well. Afterburners :cool:
The Mirage display was easily the best for me - proper old school looking delta wings. Disappointed not to see the Raptor although we walked over to the RAF village and saw a couple parked up. Closest I've been to one. Made me laugh the Reds performed an aerobatic display in more or less the same conditions then the yanks wussed out! Especially after that massive build up with the music and all.

Thunderbirds were good, especially at take off with the low level stuff. Again, too much US patriotism with the music and continuous thanks to the servicemen and woman.

Best bit of the day, talking to a female Osprey pilot (while on board the Osprey). Also, an F15 engineer who said nothing made him more proud than an aircraft returning with no bombs on it. We though he was going to say plane and pilot. Other than that statement, top bloke.

RIAT is a class act. Managed to get onto a Chinook, Osprey, A400M and a Blackhawk. Awesome.

Oh and that SU right before the Apache wins noisiest.

Associate
Made me laugh the Reds performed an aerobatic display in more or less the same conditions then the yanks wussed out! Especially after that massive build up with the music and all. Thunderbirds were good, especially at take off with the low level stuff. Again, too much US patriotism with the music and continuous thanks to the servicemen and woman.

The Mrs and I lol'd hard at that also, all that build up about the "greatest air force in the world, dedication to service, unparalleled excellence blah blah blah...... We regret to inform you we're wussing out". The Thunderbirds take off on Saturday was also superb, but they took off in formation on the Sunday - I presume they did the first display that way as No 1 was already up to check the cloud base.

We attended Sat & Sun so were fortunate enough to see the Raptor put on an excellent display yesterday afternoon. Overall I thought this was one of the most varied - and therefore best - RIATs since the mid 90s. Despite the black cloud and rain on Saturday, I still managed to get sunburnt :D. Seeing a flying Su-27 was the icing on the cake though.

I went on the Sunday. Really enjoyed it as usual. Only slight negative was trying to get out afterwards.
Had to laugh at some groups on Facebook going ballistic about the weather etc on the Saturday and how they were entitled to a refund etc. Weather happens and the pilots safety is number one.

Back
Top Bottom