Cheeky little upgrade

Soldato
Hey,

So current specs are as follows:

CPU: i5 2500k @3300ghz
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
GPU: ASUS GTX 1070

So to get into it... I essentially want more RAM so wondering what the best option is. Do I upgrade to DDR4 or just throw in more of my DDR3.

I mainly use my PC for playing MMOs or FPS... but I am steering towards wanting to play Destiny 2 in some pretty sexy graphics. I currently use my 50" Samsung UHD TV as a monitor so would ideally wanting to be going for some lovely 4k gaming.

Budget, well, I'm from Yorkshire so cheaper is better, however I don't essentially have a limit on it as it will just change how long I will be saving for.

Cheers in advance!

Soldato
You can only intsall DDR 3 into that system/MB.

Personally i would look out for 2 x 8Gb in the members market - will be considerably cheaper than buying new and turns up a lot (plus lifetime guarantees). Should full-fill your Yorkshire criteria :)

Also, clock the 2500K to get the most out of your GTX 1070 if you haven't done so already. 4.3GHz at 1.3V is a very simple clock with a semi decent cooler.

Soldato
OP
I know I can only go for DDR3. Was wondering if it was worth the dive into getting a DDR4 Mobo etc or should I just wait till I can afford to go the whole hog and full upgrade :)

16gb DDR3 was the way I was swaying though

Soldato
I know I can only go for DDR3. Was wondering if it was worth the dive into getting a DDR4 Mobo etc or should I just wait till I can afford to go the whole hog and full upgrade :)
Watching GP so probably missed that :)

I've done a similar upgrade to my 2500K - i'm at 4.5GHz with a GTX 1070 and 16Gb (the 1070 and 16Gb added a few months back) - totally reinvigorated my PC playing games at ULTRA as 1440p.

However, 4K gaming at ULTRA usually requires 1080/ti minimum coupled with a superior CPU - having said that you can still game at 4K with the 2500K clocked with the GTX 1070 at lower settings and still have a decent gaming experience.

I would try clocking your CPU to 4.3GHz - and see how it performs at the settings you find acceptable/FPS. If it's acceptable - upgrade to the 16Gb.

If your're unsure of clocking it's a simple process - happy to talk you through it if you have a decent cooler.

Soldato
OP
Brilliant thanks for the advice. You didn't miss anything from the previous post I just didn't say I knew that ddr4 would be a much bigger upgrade.
Well definitely settled it, will get more Ram and overclock the processor.

My cooler is an absolute beast. I had always planned to overclock the system but never got round to it. I had done some overcooking before in the Pentium 4 days, so assume the theory is all pretty similar :)

Soldato
Brilliant thanks for the advice.

NP.

Look at some of these clips for gaming at 4K with your spec with varying clocks on the 2500K - Clicky

My cooler is an absolute beast. I had always planned to overclock the system but never got round to it. I had done some overcooking before in the Pentium 4 days, so assume the theory is all pretty similar :)

Great - really is simple.

If you have a vague idea - it's as simple as upping the vCore to 1.3V and adjusting the multiplier to 43 across all cores. Usually does the job and you could push for 4.5GHz if you're comfortable with what you're doing.

Any questions when you're ready to dabble just holler.

/GREAT GP!!!

Back
Top Bottom