RYZEN & RX 580 LAPTOPS ARE HERE!!!

Soldato
I'm in gamedev, so chunky compiles and lighting builds. I'm definitely waiting to see how these review. If they stack up well and don't have any thermal issues I'm probably selling my desktop and moving to one of these.

Soldato
We currently have no plans to release a Ryzen/NVIDIA combo gaming laptop. I'm not privy to the exact reasons why unfortunately.

Doh, ok thanks Tom, much appreciate the reply - I'd imagine AMD wanting Ryzen/AMD Graphics combos

Any idea if you will release a vega / Ryzen laptop ? That would then have pretty decent graphics :)

Soldato
Bit-Tech have done a mini review / preview of the r1600 model and gaming performance is looking decent. Basically in line with a 7700/GTX1060.

Even if the performance isn't anything to write home about (as in it doesn't redefine gaming performance in its price bracket), it is nice to FINALLY have some competition in the sector.

Soldato
Yeah for sure, I'm just glad there is finally 8 core laptops, content creators have been screaming for this for a decade.

However, iv only the budget to spend big the once and I'm not sure the graphics card is good enough for me as I'll be driving a 4k monitor with it.

My perfect end all laptop would be this cpu or Zen 2 8core with at least 1080ti level graphics, I'd rather spend 2-2.3k on that than 1.6k on this, as I'm spending thousands already.

I'm considering SFF pc as well, if I'm on the road in my van, I can then remote desktop in to it from my laptop I have now if I need power and I'm hooked into leccy.... Otherwise I can just use the laptop when on battery

Soldato
The lack of GPU is certainly a issue I can see some people having. As you mention I would happily have one of these laptops (well the r1700) if it came with a GPU that could match the 1070/1080 (so basically a r1700 / 1080 combo... :p).

Capping out at 1060 performance is a major opportunity missed.

Associate
The lack of GPU is certainly a issue I can see some people having. As you mention I would happily have one of these laptops (well the r1700) if it came with a GPU that could match the 1070/1080 (so basically a r1700 / 1080 combo... :p).

Capping out at 1060 performance is a major opportunity missed.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-laptop---17t-gaming-8gb-gfx-1wc87av-1

Or the first AMD Radeon™ RX 580 Graphics (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated) laptop in USA retailing for USD1,600 Ladies and Gents

full specs (the more important ones):

Processor and graphics
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + AMD Radeon™ RX 580 Graphics (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

Display
17.3" diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080) with AMD FreeSync™ technology

Memory
16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

32 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)

Hard drive
2 TB 5400 rpm SATA; 128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

2 TB 5400 rpm SATA; 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

So I'd like to see this one with an 8-core Ryzen in time and preferrably 120 Hz 5/3 ms display and 64 GB RAM so I am waiting.

Last but not least , let us see Vega as it is to be retailed by end of August and we may very soon see new GPUs in laptops too

Associate
Any idea of the freesync range on these are? I wouldnt mind looking into one since the last laptop i bought from here is dying with graphical glitches going across the screen a lot.

Also do we have a solid date? Asus website wasn't too helpful with that. Seems a nice machine but i wonder if there is many other or better ryzen laptops coming soon too.

Associate
Am seriously considering the Ryzen 7 version of these laptops but feel it might be OTT for what I am looking for.
I am in desperate need of a new laptop, current one is a 4 year old dell i3 which is snail pace. I use my laptop for mainly browsing, spreadsheet and word processing work but I also like to dabble in photo editing my family photos. I am looking for something which is lightning fast, has a good screen, has good build quality (the dell has problems with the trackpad intermittently not working) and that I can move from one room to another in the house.
I was initially thinking about getting a dell xps 13 and buying a separate monitor so this would give me portability and also a large screen when needed but after having a look at the Dell xps 13 I found it a bit small and I don't really need to carry my laptop outside so size and portability is not that important. So I started looking at XPS 15 and also Macbook pro 15", both are these are at the same price and more than the Ryzen laptops which actually seems more powerful.
If I were to get a Ryzen 7 my justification is I get a good, large screen so won't need to buy a separate monitor and I get top end performance which should last a long time.
I rather buy once for it to last me ages rather than having to buy again after a few years, this was the mistake I made with the i3 dell.
How does the Ryzen 5 compare to Ryzen 7?

What do you think?

Michael

Back
Top Bottom