Astro Turf worth it ?

Associate
Artificial grass is on my list of things I want from the garden.

Where I live is marshy with heavy clay soil and drainage is very poor. I have a toddler and a dog so having a water logged lawn most of the year is not what I'm after. Currently we have gravel which at least is low maintenance and at least provides drainage. I know other people with kids who have it who love the fact that pretty much as soon as it stops raining you can go out and play on it, which wouldn't be the case for a water logged lawn.

Edit: Our garden is north facing and doesn't get much sun either.

I understand it's not for everyone, but I'm coming round to the idea.

If you are going to fit it, be sure to do all the prep work properly. It needs a good base to go on to for it to look and work at it's best.

Dave

Last edited:
Soldato
Choosing between grass and astro turf is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. With one you have a natural beauty and a place to learn about the birds and the bees. Coupled with that sweet, sweet smell when freshly mown, it's the perfect place to spend a summer's evening. With the other you get a sterile experience with an artificial sheen which fades with each passing day. Oh, and it's easier to wipe clean of poo and urine if that's your thing.

Associate
OP
Artificial grass is on my list of things I want from the garden.

Where I live is marshy with heavy clay soil and drainage is very poor. I have a toddler and a dog so having a water logged lawn most of the year is not what I'm after. Currently we have gravel which at least is low maintenance and at least provides drainage. I know other people with kids who have it who love the fact that pretty much as soon as it stops raining you can go out and play on it, which wouldn't be the case for a water logged lawn.

I understand it's not for everyone, but I'm coming round to the idea.

If you are going to fit it, be sure to do all the prep work properly. It needs a good base to go on to for it to look and work at it's best.

Dave

Our grass has failed to grow properley for the last two years. The back garden is okay but the front looks more like a desert. I hate gardening generally, and tried seeding last year and hasnt improved it at all. Our front garden isnt used for anything as it faces a main road. my partner said gravel it but were still thinking about both

Soldato
Outside my flat there is a large flat roof that I can walk on,next year I'll be getting fake grass for it with some chairs ect.....better than nothing :)

Caporegime
If it looks better than my current lawn and i dont need to look after it then chavy taste it is. ;)

i don't think astro turf looks better. you can clearly tell an astro turf lawn from a real one very quickly and blatantly. it's plastic after all. i get that it's low maintenance which makes it very appealing to a lot of people.

i decided to seed my lawn as IMO grass is better. I am thinking though of sticking astro turf down on top of my decking. decking is just too much maintenance. i'm thinking of painting it to try and stop rot then astro turf over the top. i get that paint will deteriorate every winter but so long as it prevents the rot for longer it's worth it. as just now it looks pretty bad. astro turf over the top of it would make it look nice again plus more appealing to sit down on if need be.

kai

kai

Soldato
Worth it, 100% we love ours. The dog loves the grass, its low maintenance and with zero mess.

The wonderful condition of new builds!
image1.jpg

The photo was taken literally 30 seconds ago, its been down for a few months.

IMG_2094.jpg

>

Last edited:
Associate
Whatever i do with mine i need to rotivate the entire thing and get it leveled, it had a decent lawn when we moved in but 9 years of neglect and me basically letting my huskies used it as a toilet have made it a bomb site lol

Associate
Astro turf is definitely worth getting if its in your budget, Looks good all year round and if you have kids they can play out in the garden all year round without making mess in your house when they come back indoors :)

Back
Top Bottom