Celebrities you've met / seen randomly

Soldato
I've probably forgotten a few as I'm not really into celebrities, but as far as I can remember:

Spoke to Michael Palin on the phone.

Lewis Hamilton blocked me from pulling out of a junction.

Was sat at a set of lights next to Eddie Jordan, he smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

Passed Jack Dee a newspaper when I was on the tube.

Gave 10€ to Gordon Ramsay's homeless brother and had a good chat with him.

Spoke to the Prince of Monaco and complimented him on his car collection.

Stood next to my friend whilst he had a long conversation with Max Verstappen, didn't really know who he was until my friend explained afterwards.

Had some drinks with some friends in a bar on Edgware Road, David and Victoria Beckham pulled up at a set of lights opposite.

jkb

jkb

Associate
Clive Owen in the BA lounge at LAX and again on the plane. A couple of Newcastle footballers in the supermarket, Steven Taylor and Tim Krul who was also sat near to me on a flight to Amsterdam he didn't fly in business class but had extra leg room in the exit row. Played cricket against a few professionals the most famous were Courtney Walsh and Ian Bishop of the West Indies, Nicky Boje of South Africa and Ata-ur Rehman of Pakistan. My daughter was friends with Steven Harmison's eldest daughter and I sold my house to his sister in law.

Underboss
Saw Adam Jones (Harlequins and Wales Rugby) walking through Guildford in flipflops today - bloke is as huge as he appears on the tellybox.

Associate
Was a civil servant for a while so met lots of well known politicians (including nearly stepping on David Cameron's foot once as we both rushed round a corner ) but none of them very interesting.

My favourite celeb was meeting Terry Prattchett briefly at a book signing (he signed small gods for me). Least favourite was bring sat next to Richard Hill at dinner (ex saracens rugby player from the 2003 world cup winning squad) - he was a miserable bugger.

Caporegime
Oh yea, its a fireable offence to do anything other than pretend the VIP isn't there.

While it is fair enough that these people shouldn't be harassed by essentially colleagues while they're on private property and working it does seem that the way the entertainment industry treats 'talent' vs others can be quite dubious at times.

I don't work in the industry but got invited to some drinks recently by a friend who'd just finished a production and had been cast in a fairly prominent role(she's quite chilled but some of her stories about what goes on and the behaviour of other cast members were :eek:), I got to meet the rest of the cast and the producers who were paying for all the drinks... though some of the production team (a few young girls) who were still almost half in work mode, acting subservient around one of the main stars, were apparently unpaid 'interns' for weeks of work (which surely must break all sorts of union rules) yet the producers were happy for anyone to walk up to the bar and just order another magnum of whatever stick it on thier tab.

There was just this whole weird status thing that seemed to be worse than anything in the corporate world (aside from perhaps some story I once read about a US company where you couldn't talk to anyone more than two pay grades above you) - on one hand it seems like quite a cool industry to work in, on the other hand I was quite glad to just be there as a guest.

Man of Honour
Daley Thompson ( and family ) and Timmy Mallet on the same day at Chessington World of Adventures.

Daley was ushered to the front of the queue with his family, probably had a fast pass but was friendly and said hello.

Mallet i saw from a distance, so could have just been someone with terrible dress sense and crap glasses.

Soldato
While it is fair enough that these people shouldn't be harassed by essentially colleagues while they're on private property and working it does seem that the way the entertainment industry treats 'talent' vs others can be quite dubious at times.

I don't work in the industry but got invited to some drinks recently by a friend who'd just finished a production and had been cast in a fairly prominent role(she's quite chilled but some of her stories about what goes on and the behaviour of other cast members were :eek:), I got to meet the rest of the cast and the producers who were paying for all the drinks... though some of the production team (a few young girls) who were still almost half in work mode, acting subservient around one of the main stars, were apparently unpaid 'interns' for weeks of work (which surely must break all sorts of union rules) yet the producers were happy for anyone to walk up to the bar and just order another magnum of whatever stick it on thier tab.

There was just this whole weird status thing that seemed to be worse than anything in the corporate world (aside from perhaps some story I once read about a US company where you couldn't talk to anyone more than two pay grades above you) - on one hand it seems like quite a cool industry to work in, on the other hand I was quite glad to just be there as a guest.

Yea its a lot like that. Unless you get addressed you can't initiate conversation. They are there to work and that is fair enough. From a business perspective they are not gonna come back if they get harassed. We have had staff fired for posting things on facebook.

The flipside of that is going into the cafe area and seeing random famous faces, or worse that famous person you don't quite know and your brain goes "cousin? old school mate? Ooooooh...... *penny drops*".

Soldato
Went to Birmingham last week and was walking through the bullring when Travis Barker from Blink 182 was walking towards me!
That's awesome. He's a drummer hero of mine :cool:

Oh yea, its a fireable offence to do anything other than pretend the VIP isn't there.
Yea its a lot like that. Unless you get addressed you can't initiate conversation. They are there to work and that is fair enough. From a business perspective they are not gonna come back if they get harassed. We have had staff fired for posting things on facebook
Do you work in a Post facility? Even so that's pretty excessive. On the flipside the bit about US corporate culture is very true. The yanks are definitely more regimented and anti-social in their work etiquette, it's very strange sometimes.

Soldato
That's awesome. He's a drummer hero of mine :cool:

Do you work in a Post facility? Even so that's pretty excessive. On the flipside the bit about US corporate culture is very true. The yanks are definitely more regimented and anti-social in their work etiquette, it's very strange sometimes.

Yup client facing post facility.

The advantages of which because its client facing, loads of free food, drinks (such as a soda fountain) and really nice break out areas.

Associate
I'd have thought RaSP officers were better trained than that. Or are you just making that up for added drama?

Nope, the guy was scanning everywhere and had his hand in his jacket, clearly felt the situation required it when HRH was picking up some munch and beer :D.

Whether this was breaking protocols or some form of close protection etiquette is another matter.

Shawrey

Soldato
Yup client facing post facility.

The advantages of which because its client facing, loads of free food, drinks (such as a soda fountain) and really nice break out areas.
Ahh, been there done that. Although in LA you probably get treated a bit better than race-to-the-bottom London :)

Soldato
I've just seen Tim Peake. I'm working ar Red Bull F1 and he is visiting.

Before I've spotted Christian Horner here, not managed to find any drivers yet, I'm told they aren't here often, apparently Danny Ric was here yesterday but I didn't see him.

I'm also 99% sure I saw Jon Bentley from the gadget show at the Mall in Bristol.

Associate
Working in a petrol station during summer when at University, Craig from Big Brother swung up with his van.

The temptation to say "The Craig" in an Avid Merrion voice was very strong, look backing, wish i did it.

Soldato
Not really random since it was at a convention a few years ago, but I met Marina Sirtis (Troi from Star Trek: TNG). Was my first celeb crush, still would now too, chatted for almost 15 mins about how I had grown up with it (she was mortified that I was only 3 years old when filming started) and how it had shaped a generation of nerds like me.

Really nice woman all round.

Soldato
Done some fishing in Bobby Georges lakes and had numerous chats with him over those visits... Not sure if that counts since it was open for anyone to go there.. Very nice guy tho.

Back
Top Bottom