Upgrade ageing PC to VR ready spec

Associate
My current PC started life 9 years ago (previous thread). Its fine for what I use it for, but I'm tempted to try VR, specially with the current Oculus Rift offers. In particular iRacing in VR.

I'd like to reuse as much as possible, but clearly the mobo, CPU, GPU and RAM will need to be replaced. My case is an Antec Mini P180 so I'll need an mATX board. For the CPU cooler I'll keep the Noctua NH-U12P and will order the replacement mounts. The other important component is the power supply which is a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750.

Ideally I would like to spend around the £1000 mark. Initially I was thinking of an i5 7600k with a GTX 1070 and 16gb of RAM. However the GTX 1070 seems to be in short supply, so the cheapest boards are around the £450 mark. The GTX 1080 below is only £50 more, so probably makes sense to get that instead.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,295.05
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Clearly this is more than £1000, so if possible I'd like to trim down the cost. I could downgrade the CPU to an i5 7600k, a cheaper mobo and 3000 mhz RAM. I could also drop the M.2 drive as I already have a Samsung EVO 840 250GB drive. Something like this:

Total: £1,005.06

I'll most likely do some overclocking of the CPU, will the Asus Prime motherboard handle it just as well? Is there anything else I should be replacing after 9 years?

A Ryzen build could be an option, but Intel would be more familiar. Also apparently single core performance is important in iRacing, so Intel CPUs are generally recommended.

Soldato
Ryzen might be a good option for you. The IPC and core speed should easily be enough for iRacing

Total: £954.57

Soldato
Do you really need such an overhaul? Could you make do with just the GPU and overclocking your current CPU? How about upgrading the CPU to a Xeon 5650 / 5670 and overclocking that?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the inputs. Sounds like it would be worth a shot to upgrade the GPU and see how it goes. However, looking at other hardware requirements of the Rift, it says it needs 1xUSB 3.0 port and 8+GB or Ram. I guess I'll need to buy a PCIe adapter card for the USB ports. Any suggestions? I might need to ditch my WiFi card in order to fit it, but that shouldn't be a problem. Regarding the RAM, do you think 6GB will be enough?

Also, it seems overkill to fit a GTX 1080 with the other components that would be in the PC. Would a GTX 1060 handle iRacing VR well enough?

Soldato
For VR get the very fastest card you can afford. From what I've read, reprojection rates on the 1060 are too high.

Total: £562.45
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Get yourself that Xeon, overclock, and you're set. You shouldn't have to get rid of any expansion cards: the x1 cards will work just fine in the second x16 socket.

Associate
I've mentioned in another thread that I have a spare Xeon X5670 that I will sell on for £42+postage (which is what I've just paid for it) having bought a matching pair. First come first served. It's the cheap option I'm going for before a potential new build later in the year. RF2 seems to be the only problem I have with the CPU when trying to use the aggressive multi-threading graphics setting, which is why I'm trying this.

You really need 2xUSB3 ports one for headset and one for sensor with the rift. Headset USB is only really for power and you can get a USB3 to USB2 converter lead which might be ok. I got the Anitek card to help out because I needed 3 for Touch

Associate
OP
Well... I've gone for it. Ordered the Rift, GTX1080, PCIe USB 3.0x4 expansion card and 12gb of ram. Hopefully should all arrive tomorrow. I'm going to try it with 6gb of RAM first, if it works I'll return the new RAM.

I have a spare Xeon X5670 that I will sell on

By the end of the weekend I should have an idea whether its worth upgrading the CPU only or if I should upgrade the motherboard and ram as well. I might be in touch!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've mentioned in another thread that I have a spare Xeon X5670 that I will sell on for (which is what I've just paid for it) having bought a matching pair. First come first served. It's the cheap option I'm going for before a potential new build later in the year. RF2 seems to be the only problem I have with the CPU when trying to use the aggressive multi-threading graphics setting, which is why I'm trying this.

You really need 2xUSB3 ports one for headset and one for sensor with the rift. Headset USB is only really for power and you can get a USB3 to USB2 converter lead which might be ok. I got the Anitek card to help out because I needed 3 for Touch

You are not allowed to sell outside of the members market.

Associate
OP
Get yourself that Xeon, overclock, and you're set. You shouldn't have to get rid of any expansion cards: the x1 cards will work just fine in the second x16 socket.

Quick update, I decided to buy a used Xeon X5760. Everything has arrived now, except the thermal paste I'll need before putting the PC back together. Unfortunately I will need to ditch the Wifi card. The board does have 2xPCIe x16 slots and 1xPCIe x4 slot, but all 3 of them are together which means the graphics card blocks the x4 slot. The graphics card could go on the bottom x16 slot, but it would be very close to the case and all the cables that plug in to that edge of the motherboard (usb headers, power switch, hdd leds, etc). I would rather have plenty of airflow into the graphics card and I can use the ethernet powerline adapters anyway.

Associate
Would be interested to hear how you get on with the overclock. I've got my chip(s) but haven't got around to installing them yet...I'd forgotten to order paste, thanks for the reminder.

Associate
OP
Make sure you update the bios the the latest version.

Thanks, luckily I remembered to do that before taking it apart! Mild panic not being able to boot into Windows 10 after the update. I had to change the "Configure SATA as" option from IDE to AHCI. I didn't care about the rest of the settings since I'll start fresh with the new CPU.

Would be interested to hear how you get on with the overclock. I've got my chip(s) but haven't got around to installing them yet...I'd forgotten to order paste, thanks for the reminder.

I'll post an update when I've done it. Hoping to hit 4-4.2GHz initially.

Associate
OP
Cpu is in and it fired up fine, but.... My keyboard doesn't work any more. I can't hit F1, F2 or Del to get into the bios. Things I've done:

- Replaced the batteries in the keyboard
- Reset the CMOS using the on board button
- Removed the USB 3.0 PCIe adapter card
- Put in the old graphics card
- Disconnected all drives except the boot drive
- Disconnected all drives including the boot drive

I'm going to remove all but one stick of RAM (still the old one btw), and if that doesn't work then put in the old CPU again. Anyone got any ideas before I try that??

Unfortunately I don't have a wired keyboard and its too late to go buy one!

Associate
OP
Well luckily that seems to have worked! I downgraded the bios version for the Asus Rampage II Gene to version 1405 instead of 1701 and the keyboard works. Going to fit all the bits back in and continue.

Back
Top Bottom