Spec my friend a 4x4

Soldato
Hi all,

A friend is after a big 4x4 that will carry him, his wife, his 2 kids, a pram and some golf clubs comfortably. He does barely 40 miles a week and would prefer petrol to avoid potential DPF issues. Fuel economy is not a concern.

He has a £15k budget. What would you guys recommend? He lives in the sticks so 4x4 is necessary. He was thinking of a Range Rover, but is worried about potential reliability issues as they are renowned for it. I recommended a Land Cruiser, but I haven't looked at prices.

Anything you guys would recommend?

Thanks.

Associate
Mitsubishi Shogun Diamond / SG3 - 11 plate. £15K. 2011 had cheaper road tax, 197bhp, 30+ mpg, 7 seater, good stereo. Reliable.

SBK

Man of Honour
Oh yay, a spec a friend thread. These never end up being random name a car threads due to the lack of any involvement from the person actually buying.

Soldato
You don't need an obese SUV for a 4x4 with lots of space. Get e.g. a Suburu Legacy estate, more capable offroad than most SUVs as well.

Range Rovers are a money pit.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wouldn't a mid size hatchback fulfil the needs posted?

Don't see anything posted that really mandates a 4x4 and when you say 4x4 does he really want/need 4 wheel drive?

Wouldn't a mid sized hatch fulfil most of our needs in here? Do you drive one? If not why not?

Perhaps he simply prefers them. If every car purchase was based strictly on need we'd all drive an Astra Estate.

Soldato
I'd always prefer a Discovery personally. There is something about the Disco 4 that I really just like. But I don't think you can get a petrol one.

I think, unless you are going for an early L322 Range Rover you are looking at supercharged V8's. Which while epic, would be incredibly thirsty. But, to be fair, so is every Land Rover anyway.

And you / he is right to be concerned with reliability. They can be a pig. But there are good ones out there too.

Maybe have a look at a Lexus RX? I don't know how well they fit in budget, but would surely be reliable.

The obvious choice, to me, for a nice but still reasonably reliable 4x4 would be a BMW X5. Again, not so sure about how likely you would be to find a decent petrol one though. To be fair, that'll be the same for virtually all big 4x4's though.

Caporegime
Grand Cherokee SRT8. *runs*

Normal Grand Cherokee wouldn't be a bad shout actually.

Or alternatively the obligatory CRV, it's popular for a reason and likely to be a lot more reliable than most of the above. It's not exactly a big 4x4 but it's big enough for what's in the OP.

Soldato
OP
Well he went and test drove a 4.2SC Range Rover HST and has decided that he must have it.. I provided him with all the options mentioned, but his heart has ruled over his head. He is buying a 3 year warranty for it also, so shouldn't cost him much apart from fuel/tax.

Back
Top Bottom