Poll: ** The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Thread **

Which colour iPhone 7 or 7 Plus are you going for?

• Jet Black (gloss)

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • Black

Votes: 207 31.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 30 4.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Rose Gold

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • I wanted one, but the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

Votes: 76 11.7%
  • I'm not buying one

Votes: 236 36.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Got my AAW Capri cable I backed on Indiegogo last night - Apple certified Lighting cable to dual 2-pin connectors for IEMs/CIEMs that support it, so no more dongle. Has mic and volume controls and works perfectly, good stop-gap until someone invents a good 2-pin to Bluetooth 5 (and beyond) cable in the future. Also available with MMCX connector which is another popular standard.

Good option for people with good universal or custom in-ears that find the lightning to 3.5mm dongle annoying (I know I did).

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone whose used both 7 and 7+, is the better camera on the 7+ enough of an advantage to overlook the bulk of it (i.e. no more one-handed use)? Subjective opinions obviously. Also has anyone tried swimming with it (nothing deep obviously)? I'm just thinking of the viability of taking photos in the pool...

Soldato
Has anybody had issues with the Matt black finish flaking off and experience of apple support with such a problem?

My phone lives in the leather case and I never put it in a pocket with keys/coins etc. But a big flake of the Matt black finish has come off around the speaker holes at the bottom which is pretty annoying.
I’ve got some near the speaker holes too but haven’t taken it up with Apple support yet.

Associate
Anyone whose used both 7 and 7+, is the better camera on the 7+ enough of an advantage to overlook the bulk of it (i.e. no more one-handed use)? Subjective opinions obviously. Also has anyone tried swimming with it (nothing deep obviously)? I'm just thinking of the viability of taking photos in the pool...

Pretty sure the standard sensor is the same on both models, I would say, however, that the zoom lens is rather useful. As is the additional battery life and screen real estate.

Soldato
I’ve got some near the speaker holes too but haven’t taken it up with Apple support yet.

Finally got around to visiting the Genius Bar. Apparently it is cosmetic damage, but manager authorised a swap out given mine was in mint condition otherwise. It will be interesting to see if this replacement has the same issue.

Soldato
Hey chaps - just wondering if anyone can give me some advice please?

I have an iphone 5s and it is battered, on its absolute last legs. I get paid next Wednesday so am going to go get a new phone, most likely the iphone 7 as with the 8 coming out in Sep (no I can't wait, this phone is screwed), the 6s will already be two generations behind.

Any suggestions on how to go about it to get the best deal? I'm currently with three and pay £18 a month for 500 mins and unlimited texts and data. As I've been a customer with them for years, will they reward that at all or will I just have to take out a contract like a new customer?

I can see this deal on three's website - thoughts? iPhone 7 128gig

30GB Data.
All-you-can-eat Minutes.
All-you-can-eat Texts.
24 month Contract.
£49.00 up front cost.

£26.00 a month for 6 months, then £52 a month. It's £1141 over two years including the upfront cost of £49

Soldato
Correct me if I'm wrong but that deal works out at £1141 over 24 months?
If you bought the iPhone from Apple directly on the 0% iPhone Payments option (£49 upfront + 20 months @ £32.50) *Doesn't include the early upgrade or Applecare + and kept your £18/m contract that would come to £1131.

So possibly £10 cheaper, not a deal breaker I guess, but looks like you trade unlimited data but 500 minutes for 30Gb data and unlimited minutes.

You could also get the iPhone 7 on the iPhone upgrade program. That would be £49 upfront and then £38.45/m, basically 0% payment for the phone and Applecare + but it allows you to upgrade to the new handset after 11 payments (and the loan/program starts over).

Depends if you need the unlimited data, or depends on if you want to buy handset outright or finance it etc.

Finally, you might get good deals on the day when going into a 3 store and speaking to them? But I bet if anything you'd lose the unlimited data?

Soldato
Didn't I say £1141 ha?

I've just realised I've made a mistake, I currently get 30gig data, not unlimited.

Ha :) I swear that last line wasn't there when I replied :p but if you have 30gb I'd say at least speak with 3, see if they can do anything, then I guess after that it's seeing if buying from Apple direct has any value.

Man of Honour
Carrier deals look a lot better than they have in recent years. You could maybe switch to a decent provider (I found 3 terrible) and get cashback via Top Cashback.

Mobster
Soldato
Had Android and iPhone running simultaneously but ran iPhone as my primary phone for a few months. Been iPhoneless for a few days and am missing it massively, so I've ordered a refurb SE and I think I'll pickup an 8 or 7s when they come out.

My reasons for switching back are: better apps (even Google's apps are better on iOS), updates, consistency and fluidity, length of device support. I don't care about customisation like I used to.

I must say though, I did test iOS 11 and wasn't a huge fan of the new notifications system. I wish they'd just exactly copy Android's which is better IMHO but that's not enough of a reason for me not to switch (back).

Looking forward to being back on iOS on Monday :)

Soldato
Had Android and iPhone running simultaneously but ran iPhone as my primary phone for a few months. Been iPhoneless for a few days and am missing it massively, so I've ordered a refurb SE and I think I'll pickup an 8 or 7s when they come out.

My reasons for switching back are: better apps (even Google's apps are better on iOS), updates, consistency and fluidity, length of device support. I don't care about customisation like I used to.

I must say though, I did test iOS 11 and wasn't a huge fan of the new notifications system. I wish they'd just exactly copy Android's which is better IMHO but that's not enough of a reason for me not to switch (back).

Looking forward to being back on iOS on Monday :)

I was thinking moving to android other week but kind glad I haven’t now as I seen and played with a few and I found them not as polish as iOS even the apps for iOS are more polish too

Mobster
Soldato
I was thinking moving to android other week but kind glad I haven’t now as I seen and played with a few and I found them not as polish as iOS even the apps for iOS are more polish too

Massively so mate. The lag on my S7 is just annoying as ****. On the Pixel lag is non-existent but the apps make the overall experience sub-par IMHO.

Let me give you an example. Google Play Music on Android doesn't let you scroll to the beginning of the song. They put the play indicator so close to the edge of the screen it is impossible to put it at the beginning of a song. No problems on iOS, they've placed it much further over. Now this may make very little practical difference but there are subtle differences that clearly iOS developers (even at Google ffs) notice when compared to their Android counterparts.

Associate
Hi folks, I got an iPhone 7 plus as a gift, generally I stay away from Apple but hey-ho.
What cases are people using?
What dongles are people using that play well with cases? I like my headphones and I'm not going to change them but I don't like the flappy cable adaptor that comes with the phone so I'm after something with no floppy parts (hehe).
Can I do everything on the phone without needing a computer for setup etc? My laptop has been running Linux Mint since I saw the light so if not, I'll have to set up a virtual machine. My understanding is that iTunes is nonexistent on Linux.

Soldato
Hi folks, I got an iPhone 7 plus as a gift, generally I stay away from Apple but hey-ho.

I never bother with cases but there seems to be lots of nice 3rd party ones out there

What dongles are people using that play well with cases? I like my headphones and I'm not going to change them but I don't like the flappy cable adaptor that comes with the phone so I'm after something with no floppy parts (hehe).

I don't know how much luck you'll have with this part but personally I just used the donlgle it came with until I went for the AirPods

Can I do everything on the phone without needing a computer for setup etc? My laptop has been running Linux Mint since I saw the light so if not, I'll have to set up a virtual machine. My understanding is that iTunes is nonexistent on Linux.

You no longer need a PC/Mac in order to use an iPhone however if you want to back it up you will need iTunes. Assuming you don't go for their iCloud things (79p p/m for 50GB isn't bad)

Soldato

1) Pitaka Aramid case - good blend of grip, thinness and durability. Not the cheapest though.
2) I'm not using this one but I know Fiio make the i1 cable, which also gives you physical volume controls and a mic EDIT - whatever you buy, make sure it's got the 'Made For iPhone' label and so is officially certified, as 3rd party stuff that uses the Lightning port could end up not working after iOS updates if it's not officially certified.
3) Don't need a computer. Use iCloud and pay 79p a month.

Associate
noooo I've already bought a case off the rainforest, oh well I'll see how it goes.

Thanks I'll keep an eye out.

Is there some way to transfer WhatsApp backup chats from android to iPhone? I've backed up on my old phone but the new iPhone doesn't see anything, I think it's because it's looking for an iCloud backup which obviously doesn't exist

Back
Top Bottom