*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
Thanks man! The trickiest bit now is getting training availability. The company that've done my CBT and are doing my conversion day don't have any availability for mod 1 training for what looks like the rest of the month. They've got one mod 1 test booked in for 20th of this month, and my conversion day is 13th, so if I get on well enough, I could theoretically book 20th for my mod 1 test and get through it, but alternatively, I might need the 13th for training, and then to try and book another day's training + test in with another company. HASSLE! :(

Soldato
Had a day's riding on Thursday which included some time on the 600 I'll be taking my tests on.

Manoeuvres were definitely trickier at first due to the weight of the bike, and I found u turns were tighter because of it, but overall a lot easier to ride.

The instructor was happy with my riding, and so I've got 1 day's mod 1 training, followed by the test the next day. Booked for next month, because that's the first available date they had. :(

Soldato
Got my CBT done today!

I would say it was a close run thing but the instructor said I was a long way short of being the worst he's seen this week and I got my DL 196 so I guess I was good enough! Theory test is next on the list :)

Associate
So after riding round on a cbt for 4 years ive finally pulled my finger out and pass both mod1-2 passed with 2 minors on both, clipped the white line on the u turn and rolled of the throttle on the emergency stop (even though I was still doing over the speed required) before he put his hand up, Passed mod 2 with minors 1 for been to close to a car but he said I did realize and drop back and the second one for not indicating properly on a left turn roundabout. I'm glad its all out the way though, the day of mod 2 I woke up and looked out and it was tipping down, my instructor had to check with the test center they were still going ahead with it, now I'm a dry weather rider so I wasn't looking forward to my first wet ride been my test :eek: thankfully it stopped and was starting to dry out.

Got my licence back Friday so where would I stand on having some test rides from dealers? not that I'm looking to buy brand new but ive only ridden my 125 and the sv650 and hornet I learned on. I'm about 6,1ft but have long legs so I think sports bike might be uncomfortable but id like to try one anyway but I'm thinking of getting a yam Fazer or something along the lines of a 600-800cc bike so any other models I could look for, I cant afford much more than about £2500 and I'm not after anything flash really as long as its tidy id be happy.

Cheers

Soldato
Some dealers will be ok giving test rides, but mainly on demo bikes - not many places do test rides on used bikes.

For £2500 you could do a lot worse than a 5th gen VFR, like I have. Mines a commuter/touring bike but they'll do everything.

I'm 6ft 3 and you should fit on most things, you'll never have worry about not being able to flat foot a bike unless you get something like a KTM 990 adventure R :D have a sit on some bikes and that'll give an idea of how they'll fit.

Associate
I've actually been thinking of the vfr's as I really fancy a sports tourer, not sure if my budget would get a vtec model? What are the pre vtec models like. What are the vfr's like reliability wise in general?

Like you say I think I'm ok feet on the floor wise it's just I tend to get cramp/sore knees if I'm crunched up so I'm after something roomy.

Soldato
A lot of people think the pre-vtec models are better than the early vtec models - no costly valve adjustment, and you get the lovely straight cut cam gear whine over the v4 burble.

Reliability - it's a late 90's/early 2000's Honda, so they're made out of granite. Mine has done 24k miles and would be considered just run in :D Average mileage is around 40k and they'll do 80-100k miles without issues.

This is mine, picked up for £1900 a few months ago.

The only bad things are that they're heavy beasts, but you only notice then when moving it around by hand - and the linked brakes are a bit wooden, but then my other bike has 4 pot brembos with as good stopping power/feel as many modern 200bhp superbikes so I'm partly used to excellent brake.

All i've done to is is add a Delkevic exhaust and put a set of M7RR's on, and MOT it (passed with zero advisories). I'll be buggering off to the Alps on it in 4 weeks time for about 3500 miles in 2 weeks.

Soldato
Just want to clear this up, I'm 36, have done a CBT and theory when I was 21 (before the hazard perception came out) but before I could do the DAS the company closed and they moved to the states.

So, even with a full car licence, I'm looking at doing it in this order:

Theory Test (I find rather daft seeing as I've been driving for 18 years)

Then CBT

Then a DAS course/test

Then if I feel like I could benefit, advanced rider courses.

Soldato
Correct, although you can do the CBT before doing your Theory test, but any company will want you to have passed the theory before starting a DAS course.

The motorbike theory has more/different questions around biking which is why you need to take it again.

Associate
that looks mint for £1900, private or a dealer find? really stunning bike! What are the V4's like to ride are they different to the in line 4's? I did my training on a vtwin and inline 4 but I preferred to use the twin, I would like to buy something different instead of just sticking with the inline engines but I don't know of many sports tourers that use different setups.

Soldato
That was private, I had a choice of 2 bikes - one a later model with some changes (stainless pipes, HISS, auto idle control), less miles and very good condition vs a 1 owner bike from new in 100% mint condition with 37k miles for £2000. There's plenty about, I'd buy privately though you'll get a better bike and more choice.

The V4 has a bit more torque than an IL4 and they take off above about 7k rpm. Good fun to ride and they sound awesome.

Soldato
37 here and just passed, really wish id done it in my 20's tbh. don't think it really matters though
Congratulations! Now the fun starts!

43 and just about to go for my mod1. Waited for along time as had a a few good mates die on bikes so didn't want to go the same way. Older and hopefully wiser now.

Yeah I think it would have ended badly for me if I rode a bike as a teenager. Plus my mum would have kicked me out the house!

I'm slightly confused about the tests... Whats the quickest way to be able to ride a 400cc bike? I'd rather not wait 2 years tbh.

Man of Honour
You're old enough to do the DAS route so no need to wait around.
CBT, Theory, Mod1, Mod2 ride whatever you like.

I waited until I was 26 to get my full licence, wish I'd done it in my teens :D

Soldato
You're old enough to do the DAS route so no need to wait around.
CBT, Theory, Mod1, Mod2 ride whatever you like.

I waited until I was 26 to get my full licence, wish I'd done it in my teens :D

Ahh that's good news, I didn't want to be stuck with L plates and a small engine. Gonna be browsing the KTM site with even more enthusiasm now. :D

Soldato
CBT done
Theory on Wednesday

Mod one booking after that.

Already have my bike ZX6R. Biking will just be a hobby for me won't be using to commute..

This is the excuse I'm using once my parents find out LOL

I'm 28

Soldato
CBT done
Theory on Wednesday

Mod one booking after that.

Already have my bike ZX6R. Biking will just be a hobby for me won't be using to commute..

This is the excuse I'm using once my parents find out LOL

I'm 28

They'll get over it in time, my mum still hates the thought of me riding a bike, helps my case with my dad being a biker too!

Good luck. :)

Soldato
They'll get over it in time, my mum still hates the thought of me riding a bike, helps my case with my dad being a biker too!

Good luck. :)

Neither of my parents are bikers but I had a moped at 16 which I rode for a year or two they will get over it but I'm more nervous about breaking it to them than any thing else Lol

Anyways loads of practice done for theory and i keep smashing the test so should ace it I hope.

Back
Top Bottom