Password Manager Recommendations

Man of Honour
i still cant believe people put all their passwords in yet other software made by another company. Huge security flaw in my eyes
Why? The companies can't see the data - it's encrypted. No different to you logging into internet banking and putting in your details via ssl.

Soldato
Why? The companies can't see the data - it's encrypted. No different to you logging into internet banking and putting in your details via ssl.
big difference, some random company vs Your Bank.

Theirs no way you would know if they updated their software to read your encrypted data. Or worse A hacking group took over the software & released updated version which sent a copy of your data to the hackers

You have no way of knowing that before its encrypted its not sent somewhere or stored else where to be sent later on.
your trusting joe blogs. Then comparing Joe blogs Software practices to the likes of SSL ecnrypted Bank.

can the bank be unsafe, yes but lot less likely than random Programmer

and before you ask every site i visit i use a unique password with 2FA. i also do not use Mobile version of any apps.

all my passwords are changed every 2-4 Months and all the passwords are stored in my head. oh and where available their over 30 characters long

Man of Honour
big difference, some random company vs Your Bank.

Theirs no way you would know if they updated their software to read your encrypted data. Or worse A hacking group took over the software & released updated version which sent a copy of your data to the hackers

You have no way of knowing that before its encrypted its not sent somewhere or stored else where to be sent later on.
your trusting joe blogs. Then comparing Joe blogs Software practices to the likes of SSL ecnrypted Bank.

can the bank be unsafe, yes but lot less likely than random Programmer

and before you ask every site i visit i use a unique password with 2FA. i also do not use Mobile version of any apps.

all my passwords are changed every 2-4 Months and all the passwords are stored in my head. oh and where available their over 30 characters long
I'm sorry but a lot of what you've written is wrong.

Please provide evidence that someone like OnePass or Lastpass can just update their software to read 256 bit encrypted data. Because if they can, I'm sure the NSA would be knocking at their door as to how they do it.

Soldato
I'm sorry but a lot of what you've written is wrong.

Please provide evidence that someone like OnePass or Lastpass can just update their software to read 256 bit encrypted data. Because if they can, I'm sure the NSA would be knocking at their door as to how they do it.
im not saying Current Data, im saying Future data.

your putting all your trusted passwords into a program run by a nobody, if you want to do that go ahead. i will never do this

Soldato

your putting all your trusted passwords into a program run by a nobody, if you want to do that go ahead. i will never do this

What do you mean by "future data"?

Good article by Troy Hunt on password managers here:

https://www.troyhunt.com/password-m...y-just-have-to-be-better-than-not-having-one/

Soldato

The only way to ensure that data isn't leaked prior to encryption is to only ever think and never let it leave your thoughts. These password managers are secure, your larger risk is the safety of your host device as that makes the easiest target.

I doubt you'd be an interesting target mind, most malware doesnt hurt you directly, it turns your device into a weapon against someone worth attacking.

What you're talking about is illegal for the company to do. They're not some "random bloke" they're a company just like any other. In many ways i'd have more trust in a single bloke who's name i can find than the faceless generally pretty terrible banks of the world lol.

Soldato

https://www.troyhunt.com/password-m...y-just-have-to-be-better-than-not-having-one/

This argument is great, same for things like autonomous vehicles. They'll never be perfect but quite frankly humans are awful drivers and easy to replace lol.

Almost all the people I know bar the students who were on my software eng degree use the same password for everything or extremely bad passwords with no 2fa etc. A password manager can only do good for the majority of people lol.

Soldato

you have no way of knowing that future Passwords are not leaked before they encrypted

The only way to ensure that data isn't leaked prior to encryption is to only ever think and never let it leave your thoughts. These password managers are secure, your larger risk is the safety of your host device as that makes the easiest target.

I doubt you'd be an interesting target mind, most malware doesnt hurt you directly, it turns your device into a weapon against someone worth attacking.

What you're talking about is illegal for the company to do. They're not some "random bloke" they're a company just like any other. In many ways i'd have more trust in a single bloke who's name i can find than the faceless generally pretty terrible banks of the world lol.

if you guys want to use it go ahead, not stopping you. What i'm saying is i don't trust them & feel their not secure. i'm pretty unique case though every site i visit has a unique password made up of random characters/strings & symbols & as long as possible, my longest password is 51 characters . All of these are remembered in my brain through repeatedly using them over & over. Then All passwords are changed every 2-6 Months.

i know not everyone does this. so for me a password managers are pointless. I still feel their not secure though, to many variables where data could be breached for me.

regarding host breach, any sites related to Purchases go through a on the spot VM

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
you have no way of knowing that future Passwords are not leaked before they encrypted

He could monitor his network traffic, but the threat you're describing is rare. You need to focus on the bigger picture.

1) No need to remember many complex passwords
2) Less likely to have an account compromised

Then All passwords are changed every 2-6 Months.

Why?

i know not everyone does this.

Most people can't do that. Remembering tens if not hundreds of complex passwords is next to impossible.

regarding host breach, any sites related to Purchases go through a on the spot VM

Guests can't be trusted once the host is compromised.

Soldato
He could monitor his network traffic, but the threat you're describing is rare. You need to focus on the bigger picture.

1) No need to remember many complex passwords
2) Less likely to have an account compromised

Why?

Most people can't do that. Remembering tens if not hundreds of complex passwords is next to impossible.

Guests can't be trusted once the host is compromised.
why? - so if my password is leaked in a Attack on X business they are out of date.

i agree guests can't be trusted, but this PC only Plays games & visits a few Sites, Youtube,OCUK,Spotify. then all purchases are done in VM. Others are loaded sites are on another PC

Associate
So i have just installed keepass on a usb drive looks ok am curious though what would you NOT store on the drive by way of passwords?
would you store bank card details on it?
would you store bank login details on it?

at the moment mine are all stored in my head, the only passwords i have saved by way of keepass or lastpass are general websites etc

Soldato

Here is a 30-character password generated with LastPass:

gpSWR@w^R%EFq3eR*yxFS%Hun#%f6R

If you're telling me you can reliably remember a unique password like that for each website you use, without writing it down - I don't believe you.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Soldato
Here is a 30-character password generated with LastPass:

gpSWR@w^R%EFq3eR*yxFS%Hun#%f6R

If you're telling me you can reliably remember a unique password like that for each website you use, without writing it down - I don't believe you.
most sites wont allow you 30 characters but an example of something i would do would be:

(!!BF21@prdl*4582*Gemt!!_7757&8241Mat^us)

when i create passwords i use certain rules to make passwords easier to remember across multiple sites
for example here
each 4 characters is broke up by a Symbol.

is it as crazy as Lasstpass, no but its still very good

Permabanned
I use LastPass, and I only trust it with accounts I wouldn't much care to lose.

I would never trust any password manager with my important accounts, like Paypal, my main gmail account, etc.

Back
Top Bottom