Ready Player One (2018)

Soldato

When the creator of an MMO called the Oasis dies, he releases a video in which he challenges all Oasis users to find his Easter Egg, which will give the finder his fortune. Wade Watts finds the first clue and starts a race for the Egg.

Spielberg. Much-loved book. Pop-culture, the movie!

Man of Honour
I've read the book, and from the trailer it looks good in the parts that have stayed faithful to it, and really nailed what I imagined. The stacks and Og's birthday party look perfect to me. I'm not so keen on the bit with the crazy car chase/destruction derby, that wasn't in the book and I can't help but think it's been shoehorned in to give it that "blockbuster" effect that is seemingly essential nowadays, given the popularity of Transformers/Marvel/DC/Insert City Getting Destroyed by Team of Good Guys vs Interdimensional Bad Guy Movie Here.

Soldato
Looks good.
The chase scene threw me as I can't see where that would fit in VR but as Cline was involved then I'm okay with it.
Wonder which parts they will cut?

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I'm just hoping they've managed to acquire enough pop culture cameos to make this as good as it should be. The trailer was good but rather lacking in that department (only recall seeing Iron Giant, Delorian, Light Cycle), hopefully they are just keeping stuff out of the trailer to stop spoilers.

Soldato
meh, i adored the book but this looks like cgi garbage ala transformers.

i hope they don't screw it up.

i wonder how much they have had to change it though, especially getting the rights to certain things.

Associate
This looks brilliant, looking forward to seeing this in IMAX.

Spotted a good few easter eggs in the trailer.

Freddy Krueger
Harley Quinn & Deathstroke
Tron Light Cycle
Akira bike (I think)
Iron Giant
Delorean

Caporegime
I've read the book, and from the trailer it looks good in the parts that have stayed faithful to it, and really nailed what I imagined. The stacks and Og's birthday party look perfect to me. I'm not so keen on the bit with the crazy car chase/destruction derby, that wasn't in the book and I can't help but think it's been shoehorned in to give it that "blockbuster" effect that is seemingly essential nowadays, given the popularity of Transformers/Marvel/DC/Insert City Getting Destroyed by Team of Good Guys vs Interdimensional Bad Guy Movie Here.

Agreed, both the two book set pieces look perfect, but that race scene...?

Considering the bunch of guys presumably working for IOI in the race it can only be as a replacement for one of the gate challenges?

Soldato
Agreed, both the two book set pieces look perfect, but that race scene...?

Considering the bunch of guys presumably working for IOI in the race it can only be as a replacement for one of the gate challenges?
That was my assumption, some of the gate challenges may not be thought of as good movie material so they replaced it with some more Michael Bay.

Soldato
The world before he puts the headset on is exactly how I envisioned it. The VR world however is not what I gleaned from the book at all and I'm not sure what to make of it. I think there will be quite a difference between book and film. This looks far far more Transformers than I had in mind.

I think they have aimed it at millennials and not 30 somethings who remember the actual 80s references.

Associate
That was my assumption, some of the gate challenges may not be thought of as good movie material so they replaced it with some more Michael Bay.
If you freeze frame the trailer at about 1:46 when the IOI avatars are getting in their cars, there's an orange text display on the right that says "win the copper key".

From what I've read elsewhere (and whether it's true or not), Wargames was one of the IPs they couldn't get (apparently why the Iron Giant has also replaced Ultraman).

At least Ernest Cline co-wrote the screenplay, so hopefully even though there are going to be changes (there was always going to be due to all the licensing), it will be ones he's had a hand in.

Soldato
I loved the book but I am really not sure what to make of the film from the trailer.

As mentioned already the city chase scene was a bit W T F?!

I am also concerned that some of the slower pacing at the beginning of the book (unravelling the mystery) will be lost in an attempt to shoe horn in more explosions.

Back
Top Bottom