*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
Really? Didn't know that.
In a huge number of countries it is perfectly legit to install a play 1 in a bathroom uk wiring regs make it difficult for two reasons firstly it isn't ip rated which means it can only be installed in the area classed as outside the zones of a bathroom which a large number of uk bathrooms don't have as they are not big enough similarly power is tricky as we don't alllow socket outlets in any of the zones meaning most people need to supply power from outside the bathroom.

Interestingly if you have a cupboard in your bathroom you can install a sonos inside it as the wiring regs treat this as a different room hence boilers biting allowed in bathrooms. Interestingly the same also applies to the space under a Bath if you have a fixed bath panel.

Associate
Two play 1s in a stereo pair with the Sonos sub here. They sound great and so much flexibility, if I want to play music in the garden its very simple to move a single play 1. I did have to adjust to the sub and turn it down a notch.

Man of Honour
If it were the 1st Gen Play:5 then I would say get two Play 1's, but the Gen 2 is substantially better. It depends on the room, if it's small and you can achieve good stereo separation then perhaps two speakers would be better than one. I have a Play 5 (Gen 2) in my kitchen and it's excellent, I quite often end up having house parties in the kitchen after a night out and my mates love it.

Associate
Recently got the 2nd Play 1 and just today got an email for 15% off any Sonos item till the 15/09 for their 15th anniversary so tempted by their playbase/playbar. Anyone got just the 5.0 setup and can comment on the sound? I don't see myself buying the Sub due to the size of it and feel it would be overkill for the flat.

Man of Honour
I have the playbar and two play 1 rears in my bedroom, plenty powerful enough although I have been tempted by the sub especially with the 15% off offer.

Associate
Having just bought a new TV, I was happy to sit and wait before ordering a couple of Play:1s (or a sub) to match my Playbar. Now Sonos have dangled the 15% off carrot so I'm thinking of diving in. The question is, 2 x Play:1s (which would double up for other duties around the house) or the sub? I won't be buying both right now.

Permabanned
Anyone had this issue.

Had a party saturday and ended up with about 15 people on the wireless dicking with sonos songs, eventually it all just stopped working, nobody could play music, speakers vanished from the network. (Had to switch to separate speakers with spotify).

In the morning was all working fine again. Was too drunk to track down if WiFi issue or Sonos. :p

Man of Honour
Probably some kind of denial of service on the sonos network somehow, if it's working now I wouldn't worry too much.

Either that or did someone perhaps update the system on their phones if it was out of date?

Soldato
I have the playbar and two play 1 rears in my bedroom, plenty powerful enough although I have been tempted by the sub especially with the 15% off offer.

Do it. The sub is amazing, totally transforms the Playbar. I now have Playbar+Sub+2X Play 1's in our lounge and it's fantastic.

Soldato
Anyone had this issue.

Had a party saturday and ended up with about 15 people on the wireless dicking with sonos songs, eventually it all just stopped working, nobody could play music, speakers vanished from the network. (Had to switch to separate speakers with spotify).

In the morning was all working fine again. Was too drunk to track down if WiFi issue or Sonos. :p

This is one of my only gripes with the platform, anyone on your wifi can access it with the app installed, I know you can separate it with a different SSID / network but surely it would be easier to associate a controller to your network and none approved has no access.

Permabanned
Dont mind that people can access it, so long as they follow the party rule of "dont skip other peoples tracks and only add to the queue" :)

Seems like its related to a recent upgrade to a family subscription, just doesn't seem to play very well with the spotify connect service. Having issues at work with the sonos/devices too.

Cancelled family till its resolved.

Man of Honour
Do it. The sub is amazing, totally transforms the Playbar. I now have Playbar+Sub+2X Play 1's in our lounge and it's fantastic.
If it were my living room I'd get one without hesitation, but I have a 5 figure setup in there so I'm not sure Sonos would be much better. :p

For the bedroom and light viewing, I think I'd rather have the money in the bank.

Man of Honour
Dont mind that people can access it, so long as they follow the party rule of "dont skip other peoples tracks and only add to the queue" :)
Works fine until later in the day when people decide it's amusing to whack things up to max volume :/

Guest network FTW but sadly the culprits know my wifi password now, rookie error....

Back
Top Bottom