Sale of petrol and diesel cars to be banned by 2040

Soldato
You lol,

But we already have it in three parking spaces at work, and converted Nisan Leaf's to use them, it is current technology it works and could be rolled out whenever you wish.

Just adds about £20K and 400KG to the cars currently but 23 years of work on it will make it work far better and smaller packaging, so cheaper to add to production cars.

Nissan would like it in production cars within 10 years.

I do lol. Councils barely have the resources to maintain their roads as it is, I can't see ripping up existing road networks to add inductive charging being a priority, especially not in more rural area but hey I guess we'll see

Soldato
You did read that the cars will be banned for sale in the UK, possibly Europe as well. That however doesn't account for the rest of the world. Can you see this happening in America? It simply isn't going to happen. I really do have to roll my eyes at the people who think the future is going to be some sort of magical clean glistening white panacea a bit like some science fiction film. The sad reality is that the majority of the infra-structure of the UK is Victorian.

What's stopping electric vehicles from being used with our Victorian infrastructure? It didn't stop the widespread adoption of petrol cars, electricity, home phones, broadband...

Soldato
I won't. No way :D

I think the government massively over-estimates the amount of people that actually WANT a self-driving car.

It's not really about what you want, self driving cars reduce congestion and pollution as people generally don't understand or care about traffic flow or driving in an efficient manner. They'll have dedicated lanes for self driving cars, especially during peak times, they'll probably ban human driven cars on motor ways at peak times I expect. It's expensive to build more roads and expand motor ways, this will reduce the need to do that.

Associate
It's not really about what you want, self driving cars reduce congestion and pollution as people generally don't understand or care about traffic flow or driving in an efficient manner. They'll have dedicated lanes for self driving cars, especially during peak times, they'll probably ban human driven cars on motor ways at peak times I expect. It's expensive to build more roads and expand motor ways, this will reduce the need to do that.

Also, once the technology is mature, self-driving cars will be much, much safer than human-driven ones. So expect insurance premiums to reflect that.

Soldato
Will still need oil.... It will just be at the plants generating electricity instead of petrol at the petrol station.

England is way behind on renewables....

We get about a quarter of our electricity from renewable sources currently and there's huge investment going into increasing this. They've put £1.3 Billion into an off shore wind farm just off the Brighton coast which is due to go online early next year for example.

On another note....
How many miles would a electric car do compared to an equal petrol car.

The Chevy Bolt is one of the first 'affordable' full electrics with a decent range and that will do 240 miles on a charge.

It's less than a current petrol/diesel car (350-400 for a similar sized hatchback), but how many people realistically do that every day?

Associate
Who thinks these electric cars will be cheap to run when the time comes ? Phase out all the petrol and diesel duty + vat and that leave a humungeous hole in the economy. They may be cheap(er) to run now but not then

Soldato
Also, once the technology is mature, self-driving cars will be much, much safer than human-driven ones. So expect insurance premiums to reflect that.

Yeah I mean the benefits are endless of electric self driven cars. Eventually your car could take you to work, then take itself home so you don't even have to park it up, or drive itself to a cheap bay outside of town, then come pick you up at a designated time. Or take itself home and ferry your partner around till it needs to pick you up. Door to door service. It could drive you on holiday as it wouldn't get tired so could drive for 24 hours. They might even raise speed limits for self driving cars as they'll be far safer so you'll also be able to get to your destination faster.

Soldato
I won't. No way :D

I think the government massively over-estimates the amount of people that actually WANT a self-driving car.

There will come a time when you have no choice maybe not in your lifetime but certainly the next generation. Like those that said they didn't want speed limits or seat belts eventually you have no choice!

Associate
What are they planning with hgvs and people who have to travel from 1 end of the country to the other in a work van

Stopping for an hour for a charge is not really an option for some companies

Soldato
The problem like I said is the generation/production of hydrogen.

Don't forget storage, everybody forgets storage!

It takes nearly half the energy that the hydrogen contains to liquefy it and the resultant liquid is intensely cryogenic and of a very low density.

It is a great fuel for Rockets, but not really for anything else!

The best thing to do with hydrogen is to stick it onto carbon (Ultimately, say atmospheric carbon, but in the mean time fossil carbon will do) and use it as a synthetic liquid chemical fuel in a conventional ICE. (Eg, Synthetic LPG is "Almost" as clean as Hydrogen, and far easier to utilise at all stages of the process)

Soldato
Just strap an AA battery hybrid system onto the new car and wayhey it's a hyrbid and can be sold!

I said something similar to my mate earlier. I also came up with something to kill three birds with one stone, a set of cycle pedals in the back linked to a dynamo and a storage cell (and possibly a VR headset) that children can pedal on those long boring car journeys. BOOM!, the car is a hybrid, the kids are kept quiet and childhood obesity is sorted.

I tell you, I'm a ******* genius!. Dragons Den won't know what hit 'em. :D

Back
Top Bottom