So I just got an iPhone 7 and want to throw it out the window... advice please.

Soldato
Hey chaps, so I got a new iPhone 7 128gb today and just got home to upload my back-up from my previous phone. All was going swimmingly, or so I thought....

I'm playing around with it and up pops up ENTER YOUR ITUNES ID. So I think, balls, can't remember it. Oh well, not to worry for the mo...

I go back to navigating through the phone and up it pops again, and again, and again, and again until I can't do anything with my phone but close this message until it pops up again.

So I decide it would be wise to reset my password. I go onto the Apple website and it asks me to enter my phone number so it can send me a pin code to verify its me, I get the code via text and enter it. Next thing it's asking for card details - well the card I'm prompted with is an old card and I don't have access to it.

Next thing....

Thank you for helping us verify your identity.

When your account is ready for recovery, instructions will be sent to +MY MOBILE NUMBER

Your request for account recovery is still being processed.

When your account is ready for recovery, instructions will be sent to the phone number you provided.

Account recovery will take a few days. You can check the status of your request at iforgot.apple.com

WHAT!? Apparently this can take a few days to recover your account.....

Someone please tell me this isn't true? I have a new phone here and can't do ANYTHING with it.

Slightly mad

Last edited:
Soldato
You've put your old back up on the new phone. The old back up linked to your apple ID, of course it's going to ask for your password. It's not their fault you haven't kept any of your account details up to date and went to buy an Apple product.

Soldato
Everything is linked to your itunes account, including your apps etc. so it is a bit of a disaster to forget it.

Best thing to do in the mean time is set up as a brand new account and go with a 'fresh' iphone without your backup until your account is recovered.

Man of Honour
So you want to throw a device out of the Window because you forgot your password? I guess we should all blame Apple and the iPhone 7 for being secure.

Soldato
Had this exact same problem and you do indeed need to wait a few days, my dad forgot his password and then didn't have access to the card on the account so it was a nightmare. Apple do email you and you can reset your password and add a new card and then everything is fine but it does take a few days.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

They are doing this for your own security. It's to stop hackers from gaining access to your account through social engineering. Introducing a multi-day delay gives the owner of the account a chance of cottoning on to what's happening and get in touch with Apple to make sure the hackers aren't successful. A guy at work had money taken from his account because hackers had some basic details of his identity, called his mobile company and managed to get them to move his number to a new SIM, they then used the password recovery of his bank which involves sending a text message for confirmation, bingo in his online banking and transferring out his money!

He got his money back, but it's a pretty scary world we live in. Apple is at the forefront of security and privacy, and although this may be frustrating for you, it's for the overall good.

And as stated above, you just need to set it up as a new device with a temporary account, and once the account gets unlocked you can re-set it up with the real account.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Also... once you get it working, set up two factor authentication (which I'm guessing you don't currently have).

Associate
Good luck ever getting it working again. I had to do account recovery, took them 3 weeks to get back to me, you will have to enter a new password on the link they send you. But then the magic happens, new password doesn't work and you are stuck in an infinite loop of account recovery where every 3 weeks the new password fails to work. Talking to a real human in support and they can do nothing. My iPhone 6p is an expensive brick now. I keep it on my desk as a reminder not to buy anything apple for the rest of my life!

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Good luck ever getting it working again. I had to do account recovery, took them 3 weeks to get back to me, you will have to enter a new password on the link they send you. But then the magic happens, new password doesn't work and you are stuck in an infinite loop of account recovery where every 3 weeks the new password fails to work. Talking to a real human in support and they can do nothing. My iPhone 6p is an expensive brick now. I keep it on my desk as a reminder not to buy anything apple for the rest of my life!
Why is it a brick? Why can't you wipe it and set it up as a new phone on a new account?

Back
Top Bottom