X-Rebirth VR Edition.

Associate
Never knew this was a thing. X-Rebirth tanked as a game but they've release a version 4.0 promising to have fixed stuff so maybe they have fixed stuff.
I'll wait for some reviews to come rolling in first.

Associate
Have to admit this is exacty the type of game I would love in VR, kind of gutted it only says Vive as I'm getting a Rift. Still got my limited edition box of x3 reunion

Associate
Have to admit this is exacty the type of game I would love in VR, kind of gutted it only says Vive as I'm getting a Rift. Still got my limited edition box of x3 reunion

Well, a game developer that wants to sell copies of any VR game will have to release for either, or they must be largely funded by Valve or Oculus ... as a platform exclusive would cost them money otherwise. As it is though VR platform exclusives are pretty rare as both Valve and Oculus seem to have come to the realisation that it's better for customers to have access to all the content.

I'm on the fence about this X-Rebirth VR edition, the release of the original game wasn't received well (so I stayed away from it) and this will be early access. I'll hold off for some reviews at the very least.

Soldato

I would be surprised if it doesn't work in rift because steamvr stuff generally does. If there's anything that doesn't work it's normally bad mappings to the touch controllers.

Associate
Technically there's no such thing as a Vive only game. Every Vive game on Steam uses SteamVR, so unless they actively try to stop in working on Rift, it should. The only problems you might see sometimes are controllers that maybe aren't rotated correctly, but even then I've seen games add options afterwards so they align more correctly to Touch, or allow you to rotate your ingame hands/controller so that you can align it yourself.

Associate
ah ok, just waiting for my rift package and as steam only mentioned vive in the compatability i was a little confused, going to be a bit of a learning curve.
Is there a good tutorial for adding steam vr to the rift anywhere?

Associate
ah ok, just waiting for my rift package and as steam only mentioned vive in the compatability i was a little confused, going to be a bit of a learning curve.
Is there a good tutorial for adding steam vr to the rift anywhere?
There probably is, but there's not really much to do. Make sure you have your Rift up and running correctly and then enable the "unknown sources" option in the Oculus desktop app. Then just load Steam, install SteamVR, and follow the setup process.

Every now and then I see people who say they have problems getting the correct height in SteamVR, but when it comes to the point during the SteamVR setup where you set the height, I go with the option of setting the headset on the floor in the middle of my play area, and choose 0 as the height. Seems to set it correctly for me using that method.

If you want to launch SteamVR directly from Oculus Home, use the Oculus Tray Tool to add a link to Home. You basically have to install something that you'll never use (there's an app called Discover WA that most people seem to use) and then use Oculus Tray Tool to replace the links and icons for that app with SteamVR. The tray tool also has other useful functions like easy super-sampling on a per-game basis, and ingame voice commands to show performance stats.

Associate
Thats really useful thank you, cant wait till next week for my system to be built ( and the rift to get back in stock so they can ship the package)
Have a feeling i may disappear for a while from the world when i get it.....

Soldato
If you want to launch SteamVR directly from Oculus Home, use the Oculus Tray Tool to add a link to Home. You basically have to install something that you'll never use (there's an app called Discover WA that most people seem to use) and then use Oculus Tray Tool to replace the links and icons for that app with SteamVR. The tray tool also has other useful functions like easy super-sampling on a per-game basis, and ingame voice commands to show performance stats.

Also, The next version of oculus home (in beta now so can be used if you subscribe to it) will automatically add a shortcut to your library for any non-home VR game that you launch.

edit: (I know you posted the thread on here with that info, surprised you didn't mention it ;))

Soldato
OP
Yep there's a dev active in the vive sub in reddit confirming that. There are two versions, an open vr and an oculus as they had to use the sdk for the touch controls.

Greater news, if you own the original, there's a 30% discount just gone live at £24.49. Thankfully my steam pot was bellow the asking price this morning:)

Associate
Vive compatibility on SteamVR just means the developer has actively tested on the Vive and guarantees it should work as intended. It will very likely work on the Rift as well, but as mentioned, there might be some inconvenient controller mappings.

Associate
The developer has said they will look towards the steam version being vive and rift, but no guarantees. So if you want the rift version, buy on the Oculus store. That also means no steam workshop though.

Associate
It's good to hear that there's another quality game coming out for VR. I loved the X games, but primarily because they filled the massive Elite shaped hole in my gaming experience. Now that Elite Dangerous is here (and Star Citizien with it's own fan base) I wonder how well this will do...

Soldato
OP
It's ace, I'm in game now, just taking a break. The game engine looks and runs flawless on ultra, the scale is huge, it's crisp and it's clear.

They really need to work on the controls though, the motion controls really aren't needed for flight control, and having to drop the hotas every other minute to nav the menu's is a pita. I'm doing my level best to map it all to my stick and throttle hat switches, but ego have made it very difficult.

If they sort out the menus and make them as fluid as they are in elite, then they have it sorted.

Soldato
OP
Deserves a bump.

They updated it to include the newer control method, it completely blows it away. Ill never touch a hotas or gamepad in an arcade space game again. The control you have using the left wand to pitch and roll with the strafing so easily done on the trackpad is amazing. With everything clickable on the left/right controller, this is the best use of the vive wand yet.
I'm taking out fast drones and small ships far faster than I ever could on my stick, dancing round capitals taking out turrets with motion avoiding flak better than my vulture in elite ever could.

Ego deserve all the creds. Like mouse and keyboard is to fps on a flat screen, this is how you control a space ship in vr.

Back
Top Bottom