Destiny 2

Associate
splatoon 2 running 60FPS/1080 with 10 players on a worst CPU/GPU :)

GFX sells games, will never change.

Maybe I had too high expectations, but the more I see of D2, the less I want to play it. The new crucible is pretty awful, it's neither slick and sweaty (oo-er) or fun action, it's just a horrible mishmash of in between.

Should have stuck to 6v6 for casual play and 3v3 for sweaties.

i agree :(

Destiny 2 Official Coldheart Exotic Pre-Order Trailer
LOL really :(

Last edited:
Soldato
The console CPUs are obsolete laptop processors that were outdated even back in 2011. It's a worse downscaled design of the AMD Bulldozer architecture which was obsolete the day it went to retail. I don't think people actually realize just how weak and poor they are. Every single game that comes out on PS4 and Xbox One is a feat of miraculous programming. A lot of the games have no right looking and running as well as they do. Both consoles try to put as much of the workload on the GPU as possible instead, since it's much more modern.

It's why a PS5 and Xbox Two that's a huge upgrade over PS4 pro/One X is actually a lot more feasible than many realize, using a Ryzen console design for example would see an enormous jump in power.

Soldato
They aren't that bad for the time..you just need to use all the cores effectively which never has and never will be as easy as developing for mostly single threaded engines.

Caporegime
The problem with 60 fps is that similar games in the franchise achieved it by cutting down on resolution. Games like battlefield have engine's that support dynamic resolution scaling meaning it can cut back on the resolution when needed to hold a steady 60fps. Destiny's engine doesn't have this and Destiny 2 uses the same engine so no fancy resolution scaling. The other issue of course is that they chose to focus on 4k for PS4 pro. CPU or not i'm sure they could have achieved 60 FPS if they were willing to drop the resolution low enough. The focus on 4k is what killed 60 fps for Destiny and it's a real shame.

With regards match making, after seeing what happens in the incursions in the Divison, i'm glad it won't have match making. So many times I got dropped into games with people that weren't using voice comms who were just poor at the game. People would leave as soon as they realised the game wasn't an easy carry and I would have a cycle of team mates constantly dropping in and out as we wiped and wiped again. It's a team based incursion with a difficulty level so high that you can't solo it unless your insanely good at the game, which nobody was which is why one after another came and left. I'm glad it won't have the match making that some seem desperate for. Its a recipe for disaster.

Soldato
PvP felt bad in the beta. Its just reduced into a boring game, it doesn't really feel competitive, skill seems to matter less and less. Overall I don't see myself sinking a lot of time into it.

Time to kill is far too high. If you are a smart player it is close to impossible to kill someone solo, it takes over 1second to kill someone, destiny is very mobile game, limit 1 hit weapon, limited abilities. Basically means no flanking, no one really gets punished for bad positioning, skill plays are almost impossible. The game just felt like unless your in a party you have almost no control over how the game will play out. Also why even keep supers, you get your super in the last 30 seconds were whatever you do will likely have 0 difference to the game.

On top of that networking is still subpar, I still had laggy people, I still faced a lot of people in the US no matter what time of day I played, 4vs4 is boring at times, I think removing 6vs6 was a really bad idea. They removed a lot of features we already had like FFA, Private games and no real excuses for it, or reasoning. The PvP as a whole feels really bad at this point, and unless they implement major changes I think it will be worse then destiny 1 which is very disappointing.

PvE on the other hand felt mostly good, the levels are nice and big, a lot of nice game play, the boss did take awhile to kill, and the 'power ammo' system is annoying in PVE.

Final note, why even have snipers anymore, that 1 sniper felt worse then D1 snipers, you get it once a match, still has huge amounts of flinch. The shotgun/FR both felt very strong and I really see no reason to ever use the sniper in PVP.

Overall PvP felt ****, PvE felt good but needs some changing on ammo/super.

Soldato
The problem with 60 fps is that similar games in the franchise achieved it by cutting down on resolution. Games like battlefield have engine's that support dynamic resolution scaling meaning it can cut back on the resolution when needed to hold a steady 60fps. Destiny's engine doesn't have this and Destiny 2 uses the same engine so no fancy resolution scaling. The other issue of course is that they chose to focus on 4k for PS4 pro. CPU or not i'm sure they could have achieved 60 FPS if they were willing to drop the resolution low enough. The focus on 4k is what killed 60 fps for Destiny and it's a real shame.

Resolution has almost nothing to do with FPS when the CPU is hitting 100% usage. The consoles can't do 60fps, because their CPU isn't strong enough to do its job. That's why it can do 4k30 but not 1080p60. It's what's known as a bottleneck.

They couldn't have done 60fps if they dropped the resolution. Even if it went all the way down to 480x320, it would not reach it.

Bungie's project lead even spells it out this way

This occurs with my system for example, I can't run The Witcher 3 at 1080p200 because my CPU reaches 100% on all four cores and the game maxes out at 170fps or so. If I drop the resolution to a paltry 480x320, it's still stuck at 170fps - precisely because the CPU's four cores are being worked to 100% still. If I drop shadows (which is a CPU intensive job) then the frames go up to about 180 on both 1920x1080 and 480x320. That's just one example. (I play all my games at 4k60 anyway)

There's more to technical performance than the GPU. The CPU plays a massive part too. The chain is only as strong as its weakest link and everybody knows the CPU in the consoles are by far its weakest aspect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah the raids and pvp "nights" we do are a right laugh. That is what makes the game tbh.

I can't wait to get my mitts on the next relic so I can troll everyone off ledges again.... :D

I still miss the warlock knockback melee :( It was so much fun when anyone went AFK on VoG :D

I should be a lot more active again once D2 drops so I'll be in for some more raids. It will be nice to have a new raid and going for (and failing at) being the first group to complete the raid.

Soldato
I can't decide whether to buy it on pc or PS4? What's everyone's thoughts on pc Vs console for destiny 2?

I was going to get it both on PS4 and PC but I just cancelled my PS4 pre-order and will stick to PC only. Was going to play it until the PC release but with the price hike on PS+ it’s just not worth it to me.
My main concern will be player-base. I made a lot of good friends on PS4 through playing Destiny and as a result I had a huge list of players I could frequently drop in on. I just hope PC will have a decent enough player base so that I can do that again.

Most of my friends play on PC and I know 2 of them have said they’ll buy it but god knows if they’ll stick with it until end game content whereas I have 2 friends on PS4 who I know will stick with it as they really enjoyed D1.

TL;DR – I’m getting it on PC but I’m a bit worried about player numbers.

Soldato
I'd be more worried about cheating scumbags on PC.

That old chestnut again

There were plenty of cheaters on the console version of D1, using ethernet port exploits to kill certain raid bosses and disconnect players in Trials. The liklihood of cheating is equal on every platform since all the important stuff such as item information and character positioning is done on Bungie's servers and is thus immune to manipulation.

Every single person with both a gaming pc and a console will be moving to the PC version; nobody likes to be stuck in the sub-30fps badly frame-paced dark ages on their cheap boxes with second rate laptop parts and shoddy controllers.

Soldato
Every single person with both a gaming pc and a console will be moving to the PC version; nobody likes to be stuck in the sub-30fps badly frame-paced dark ages on their cheap boxes with second rate laptop parts and shoddy controllers.

Yep. I only bought my PS4 for Destiny (worth the money, imo) however 99.9% of the time I spent playing that game I had 3 thoughts that went through my mind frequently.

1. "Man, hand cannons and scout rifles would be amazing with KB&M"
2. "Woah... That autoaim is strong"
3. "Why do i feel like I'm playing in a cardboard box?"

All 3 of those thoughts will be gone soon :)

Soldato
I also currently have it pre-ordered for both PS4 and pc. I'll probably see what the pc beta is like before deciding. With the PC version delayed 2 months after the console launch. I might just pick it up on ps4 first and see how I get on with that version.

If I want to switch to pc I figure I can sell the console version for near what I paid for it in the run up to Xmas anyway.

Last edited:

Si.

Si.

Soldato
I really really really want to play the PC version, but all my mates are playing Xbox.. very disappointed there is no cross platform play, even if it was just for PvE content and PvP was PC to PC.

I refuse to play the PC beta as I know it will be so much better than the crappy Xbox version :(

Back
Top Bottom