Nikon D850

Associate
GFX 50s uses the Sony IMX161 sensor. Go back and read my post again before relying to me.

Well, aren't you just a congenial ray of sunshine ? Perhaps you should take your own advice and learn to read. I never stated I use DMF purely because of dynamic range but fact remains that the GFX 50S does have better DR than the D810. The GFX holds highlight detail much better.

Anyway, lets not derail the topic of this thread which is the D850.

The hybrid optical / EVF viewfinder sounds interesting. I just hope that quality control doesn't let Nikon down on this model ...

Caporegime
Pictures have been leaked and that is the rumour. It looks like the built in flash has gone and they have made way for a Hybrid EVF/Optical!

If thats proves correct that is a great move by Nikon. I don't usually look forward to new cameras as such, especially when you consider what a mediocre upgrade canon did with the 5D4 but I have a feeling Nikon are going to nail it with this one.

Other things from the leaks:

Touch Screen
Tilt Screen
Illuminated Buttons

So far everything I wanted.... lets see what the specs are :)

If there is a Hybrid EVF/Optical then the D850 could well be a mirror-less camera, otherwise I'm not sure of the value of the the EVF

Soldato
fact remains that the GFX 50S does have better DR than the D810. The GFX holds highlight detail much better.

There is no evidence that the GFX holds highlight details much better. It's just your own delusional subjective feelings.

Verified by RAW files below: same amount of highlight headroom towards overexposure, i.e. in the controlled comparison they both have about 0.5EV headroom left (about 12000 out of 16383)

YE0EmIV.jpg

Associate
There is no evidence that the GFX holds highlight details much better. It's just your own delusional subjective feelings.

Verified by RAW files below: same amount of highlight headroom towards overexposure, i.e. in the controlled comparison they both have about 0.5EV headroom left (about 12000 out of 16383)

Like your delusional subjective feelings on a camera you don't even own ? DPR doesn't exactly have an esteemed reputation when it comes to quality testing ... but if you want to preach at their altar then be my guest, you'll fit in just right there amongst all the other internet trolls.

Soldato
Like your delusional subjective feelings on a camera you don't even own ? DPR doesn't exactly have an esteemed reputation when it comes to quality testing ... but if you want to preach at their altar then be my guest, you'll fit in just right there amongst all the other internet trolls.

I'd apologise if any of my wording was/is unfriendly, since when discussing technical details I hardly take care about others' feelings.

DPReview did not perform the data analysis. I ran the simple analysis with RawDigger as shown above to disprove your claim regarding highlight headroom. That's controlled light condition with comparable parameters, much more convincing than your words without proof.

I don't need you to teach me that I needed to own something in order to comment. I have owned the IMX161 sensor since year 2014 (Phase One IQ250) and I know how it performs, for longer than you do, if you were new to medium format digital. I contributed many data gathering for Bill Claff's charts (which you linked in a previous post). There are error margins, but I assure you that IMX161 does *NOT* have better dynamic range than IMX094, while the D810 has ISO64 as an advantage, at least not to a degree that one is drastically better than the other just like Sony is better than Canon or Sony is better than any CCD.

Caporegime
If there is a Hybrid EVF/Optical then the D850 could well be a mirror-less camera, otherwise I'm not sure of the value of the the EVF

If it allows the mirror lock up for full silent shooting, and other mirrorless advantages that comes with it.

To be honest, it'll be like shooting via LCD on my Canon. The problem is that Nikon's AF when shooting video sucks, Canon has dual pixel AF which is insane, it hits it 99% of the time, compare to the "regular" one which is no where near. So unless Nikon can (and they should) design a good solid phased detect AF, shooting via the EVF is going to be a PITA.

Caporegime
If it allows the mirror lock up for full silent shooting, and other mirrorless advantages that comes with it.

To be honest, it'll be like shooting via LCD on my Canon. The problem is that Nikon's AF when shooting video sucks, Canon has dual pixel AF which is insane, it hits it 99% of the time, compare to the "regular" one which is no where near. So unless Nikon can (and they should) design a good solid phased detect AF, shooting via the EVF is going to be a PITA.

Nikon have some of the best in class on-sensor phase-detection AF in the Nikon 1 series, Continuous AF was superior to the Sony A7 cameras for example. Nikon have pretty much abandoned the 1 series and Sony has slowly iterated some improvements so Sony might have caught up by now. So it would certainly be possible for Nikon to have good on-sensor PDAF.

Maybe the camera will be really hybrid mirrorless + mirrored. E.g. it has a full on mirror mode with dedicated phase detect AF with the mirror down for the best Af accuracy and speed with optical viewfinder but a slower frame rate and mirror slap. Or you can swing the mirror up, use the EVF, faster shooting and no slap. The trouble is with the resolution of the D850 I'm not sure the frame rate would ever be high enough that it is limited by a mirror.

The sD810 is already completely silent when sed in it quite mode, in fact even its normal mdoe was supposedly quiter than the 5Dmk3. So that in itslef is probably not a big deal

Soldato
OP
Well the Nikon Rumours site says that it will be DSLR and not a hybrid. Although that would be a shame as the idea was good I wasn't expecting that in the first place so if it ticks the boxes I want then I'm still looking forward to getting one.

Soldato
The sD810 is already completely silent when sed in it quite mode, in fact even its normal mdoe was supposedly quiter than the 5Dmk3. So that in itslef is probably not a big deal

It's quiet.. yes.. for a DSLR. Still far from 'silent' even in quiet mode.
Haven't looked at the a9 much.. but from what I have seen.. it likely performs better in terms of AF than D810.. and is actually silent.

If they release a slower a7iii -a7riii version.. I think the D850 will struggle to compete in many areas. Sony seem to be finally getting to the point of outclassing DSLR's in many ways.

Soldato
OP
Looks like official announcement next week but specs have been leaked :

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/11/translation-of-the-leaked-nikon-d850-slides.aspx/

The specs look really good, 45.75M pixels and around 9 fps (with grip) is pretty impressive but all the other features and upgrades as well this will be a very good camera!

I'll be putting my pre-order in next week assuming you can immediately after the announcement.

Caporegime
Dan it, so many expensses in the next few months I don't think I could pre-order. Going to be paying $10K in rent for an apartment that is sat empty just so it is secured for when I move end of the year. If my house sells for above the expected value then i treat myself next year.

Soldato
OP
Forgive me if I'm ill-informed, as I've only started looking into FX bodies recently.... But the 850 will only be a little slower than a D5, but with a much larger pixel count?

In a way yes, which is why Nikon said the D850 would cater for Sports and Wildlife photographers, and with the same focus system as the D5 the D850 looks like it ticks a lot of boxes for a really good option. There are differences though for example the buffer, the D5 can take a fair bit more but at 51 the D850 is still pretty impressive considering the size of files from a 45.75MP.

Soldato
Lol doubt it
They will 'wake up' when it hits the sales figures which so far hasn't happened to a significant enough extent, I've always thought the real truth is that under real world shooting conditions in the hands of a decent tog any of the current crop of cameras will producing mind blowing results and while you may get a small improvement by moving system outside the test lab it just isn't worth it for most togs. (note I said most, before people wade in saying how they sold Canon to go Nikon!)

Back
Top Bottom