Samsung 49" CHG 90 UltraWide HDR QLED Freesync 2 144hz

Soldato
I'm totally unfamiliar with widescreen monitors, even though it's 1080p how much extra GPU grunt is required to drive the width? What sort of GPU would be a good partner for this?

Associate
I'm totally unfamiliar with widescreen monitors, even though it's 1080p how much extra GPU grunt is required to drive the width? What sort of GPU would be a good partner for this?

Just take the pixel count as a general guide. This monitor has 100% more than 1080p and 11% more than 1440p.

Associate
Hi there

Samsung visited today, with one of their new king of gaming monitors, the 49" as big as a desk, were gonna need a bigger desk monitors.

Though the monitor supports FREESYNC1&2, it also has some new techology where it has a sub 1ms response rate without inducing flicker and everyone was blown away by it. Infact it seem to rule out the need for FREESYNC or G-SYNC as in the fastest mode the fluidity was amazing and tear free. So much we opted to play games in fastest mode, how it works I do not know but here is a couple of videos where the Samsung guy is explaining it:

:)

This is just the same backlight strobe (which does induce flicker) as all their other recent '1ms' VA 144hz monitors. I can't use my 24" version in faster or fastest modes as the flicker with strobe is awful (I know some people don't notice, but I do) and the brightness eyebleeding.

AFAIK, all their 1ms VA products work in exactly the same way, which is a shame.

A 'true' 1ms GTG SVA would be incredible, but it doesn't exist.

You can even see the strobing in the videos when it's switched from normal to fastest. You can see the flicker at the top of the screen.

OcUK Staff
This is just the same backlight strobe (which does induce flicker) as all their other recent '1ms' VA 144hz monitors. I can't use my 24" version in faster or fastest modes as the flicker with strobe is awful (I know some people don't notice, but I do) and the brightness eyebleeding.

AFAIK, all their 1ms VA products work in exactly the same way, which is a shame.

A 'true' 1ms GTG SVA would be incredible, but it doesn't exist.

You can even see the strobing in the videos when it's switched from normal to fastest. You can see the flicker at the top of the screen.

Only the camera picks up the flicker, not the human eye.

Caporegime
Sorry, that means nothing to me.

I'm not sure any AMD card at the moment will power it well enough for the latest titles maxed out, but then if you go for a 1080ti nVidia you lose freesync, I'm not quite sure what Gibbo said about not needing freesync/gsync because of that new flickerfree thing is true either, pretty sure the monitor will feel better using freesync unless you play competitive fps but this isn't really a screen for fast twitch shooters anyway.

Associate
Only the camera picks up the flicker, not the human eye.

Not in a way as immediately visible as the camera, but certainly enough to cause eye strain, focusing issues and headaches. It's certainly a much more problematic frequency range than PWM backlight brightness adjustment - which many people refuse to go near now. Also, you should be careful claiming that it does not induce flicker ... what if an epileptic takes your word for it, and the strobing induces a fit?

Bottom line, it does induce flicker, because the 'flicker' is how it achieves the result.

Soldato
Hi there

Though the monitor supports FREESYNC1&2, it also has some new techology where it has a sub 1ms response rate without inducing flicker and everyone was blown away by it. Infact it seem to rule out the need for FREESYNC or G-SYNC as in the fastest mode the fluidity was amazing and tear free. So much we opted to play games in fastest mode, how it works I do not know but here is a couple of videos where the Samsung guy is explaining it.

Hi there

Have you tested it with an 10 series Nvidia card?

Associate
Hi all,
Delighted to be a member of Overclocockers
Having just purchased the 27"
I only have a One S ,
Hopefully a PS4 Pro to follow,
Mixed thoughts on this panel.
Got her from Amazon, £ 590 all in ,

Really don't think I'm using full potential of the Monitor.
Would be nice if it came with remote.
The cursor thing on back is quite unresponsive.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Hi all,
Delighted to be a member of Overclocockers
Having just purchased the 27"
I only have a One S ,
Hopefully a PS4 Pro to follow,
Mixed thoughts on this panel.
Got her from Amazon, £ 590 all in ,

Really don't think I'm using full potential of the Monitor.
Would be nice if it came with remote.
The cursor thing on back is quite unresponsive.

Please share your "mixed thoughts"!

Soldato
With the price they want for this, it needs to be 1440p, not 1080.

It's a good idea though, does away with the bezels for people who like multi monitor setups.

21:9 ultrawide is wide enough for me though :)

Soldato
£100 less on one in clearance right now. I've bought many items from there without issue.

Though tempted my sim setup only has a single RX 480 which I can get 75 fps consistent in Project Cars 2 by using FXAA rather than MXAA and turning off the enhanced rear view mirror on a 35" UW 2560 x 1080 monitor but this would put it over the edge and require a better GPU unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom