• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
more nonsense from AMD apart from the performance

on Anandtech they are saying liquid cooler version will only be available as a pack purchase which has $100 extra cost on top of the RRP.

If you want this get ready to pay £700 although you get 2 games and some extra nonsense.

Easily worst fail from AMD in regards to graphics performance, availability, marketing and price. So many flops.

Associate

on Anandtech they are saying liquid cooler version will only be available as a pack purchase which has $100 extra cost on top of the RRP.

If you want this get ready to pay £700 although you get 2 games and some extra nonsense.

Easily worst fail from AMD in regards to graphics fare performance, availability, marketing and price. So many flops.
Exactly like i said nearly all departments somehow managed to do terrible job at the same time lol

Soldato
The power they need is also for me disappointing, I could run it fine but amd need to get it under control all ready they got the rx series finally down to decent levels yet with veg thought sod it.

I don't even see nvidia dropping price on there cards based on amd prices imo.

Fury users least have an upgrade path now though which is good and it's also good amd can provide an alternative to 1070/1080 so it's not all Doom and gloom

Associate

Easily worst fail from AMD in regards to graphics performance, availability, marketing and price. So many flops.
Those free games are like nothing when you can get a 1080ti in that range

Man of Honour
The power they need is also for me disappointing, I could run it fine but amd need to get it under control all ready they got the rx series finally down to decent levels yet with veg thought sod it.

I don't even see nvidia dropping price on there cards based on amd prices imo.

Fury users least have an upgrade path now though which is good and it's also good amd can provide an alternative to 1070/1080 so it's not all Doom and gloom

Bit of an odd position for nVidia - no real reason to react in response but at the same time the longer they stay on the current line up the more it favours AMD versus a new release which would relegate Vega to last gen performance.

Associate
On a bright side pro versions look much more competitive. Seems primary target was pro market, makes sense actually considering their pathetic r&d budget they simply can't afford fighting on all fronts

Soldato
It's annoying cause amd can make good cards even though my experience of rx series was awful they are good. The 7 series was good as was the 5, hell I loved my old gto2. Sometimes I feel they would have been better if they remained a single company like when they were just ATi.

Associate
Seems for now the packs are the only way to get the liquid cooled version. Bad thing is, it isn't just a card with a $100 premium and some coupons; you actually have to purchase a Ryzen chip, motherboard, and monitor along with it to get the deal.

Bad press will most likely make them offer the AIO as a standalone later, if they have stock.

Edit- Ah, looks like AIBs are announcing their own versions already. Reference design, but the water cooled version, nonetheless.

Soldato
Looks like I'm waiting til next year for a GPU upgrade or picking up a 980ti.

Sad.

I'll wait and see what benches and retail prices are like though, but the lack of performance metrics in the slides tell you all you need to know.

Last edited:
Associate
Am I right they're comparing this to a 980 Ti? -.- also I bet it's stock clocked? So given the power consumption and the performance when you take into account a heavily overclocked 980 Ti will draw less power whilst being on 28nm vs 14nm it'll also be nipping on its heels in terms of performance whilst being over 2 years old :/

Associate
Analysis:
  • 1080 ti 12b transistors/ rx vega 12.5 billion transistors
  • 1080 ti is a gaming specific card/rx vega is an AIO card
  • Hence, ~20% of the 12.5 billion will never be harnessed in gaming apps - so effectively the rx vega is a smaller chip than the 1080 ti
  • Have no reason to believe that future drivers will unlock any meaningful performance for this chip
  • Finally, the gtx 1080 ti is a mature chip with mature drivers
Anyone who'd like to add any more observations to the above ?

Soldato
These are very dire times for graphics card consumers. Nvidia launch 1080 end of May 2016, the only competition finally launch something ~equal in August 2017 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom