Alienware 15 ordered couple questions

Associate
Well eventually got my alienware ordered when the dell sale was on yesterday so got 20 percent off from the outlet

I7
1 tb hhd
256gb ssd
16gb ram
Gtx 1070

Firstly i am sure i read that you should add new paste under the cpu fan from dell ?

Secondly i am sure i read people saying if you say sending it back often get more discount ?

Thanks dean

Associate
OP
I read somewere people saying the paste wasnt very good hwever jist watched vid on youtibe and looks quite involved loads to strip off haha and also read how some ppl say want to send back and get further discount ?

Very exited hopefully doesnt take lomg i ordered on 25th hope it arrives today or tomorro fingers crossed

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Dont think going to repaste the ecu as wont be over clocking but does anyone have any other advise on what to do with alienware should i add and antivirus etc as i usually just use windows free software ?

Also any advise on what to say to get any extra discount ? Threaten to send back i think i read ?

Coming monday apparetly so cannot wait then will install total war warhammer 1 and have a play before i pre order 2

Thanks dean

Associate
OP
Laptop arrived but havnt had much chance to play yet as working 4 days solod now so going to be friday night, very happy woth how solid it is, tried changing colours of lights etc but when apply they wouldnt change so not sure why,

Anyone think i should test temps etc and of so how exactly do i go about doing it ? And anything else should ve lookong out for on alienware ?

Downloading total war warhammer to the hhd when get a chance, i read that you can often get more discount if get in touch and say not happy is that correct?

Any help os appreciated
Thanks dean

Associate
If you want to take a chance ring up and say you're not 100% sure on it, you've seen an msi one at a slightly better price. It has been known for them to offer an extra 10% off.
as far as temps go definitely worth monitoring them whilst gaming and watching your fps counter. i get some stuttering on mine due to thermal throttling so will need to repad/repaste.

Associate
OP
Thanks for thats might see if i can live chat them amd see of can get anything off, just came in a dell box with charger and thats it is that normal from the outlet?

Also how do i go about monitoring the temperatures ?

Also when u change colour on the wheel on alienware software do they normally change straight away as even when i was clicking apply they never changed

Thanks dean

Soldato
I have the r4 17 had it for 2 days. Been playing Doom at 4k on ultra and no issues, not problems with heat i wouldnt touch the inners if its got a heat problem send it back. Machine is immense though

Associate
Yep outlet machines just come in a standard dell box with a charger and probably some manual no one looks at.
head over to notebookforums for lots of detailed info on the alienware machines. I'll check what the temp prog i've got when i get home, its the one everyone recommends.
As for sending it back if it runs hot, thats an option if you bought new, if you got a great deal from the outlet it's much better to just open up and repaste.

Associate
OP
Will see what program you use and keep an eye on it, been messing on for hours as when close laptop ot stops downloading on steam, changed all sleep settings etc eventually on advanced i changed tobii power presence settings and disabled them dont know if anyone else had that problem, it must put to sleep even though changed sleep time and do nothing when lid closed it was still putting to sleep but seems to have sorted it.

Noticed on the side of my laptop the 2 stripe leds there is a few small squares that seem to be noticeable and darker, not from distance but not a solid stripe anyone else have that issue?

Thanks dean

Associate
OP
Will have a look for that program, anyone else have the strip leds slightly dimmer in places ? Most ppl probably wouldnt notice and you cant at a distance but look close and you can see a few places were slightly dimmer looks like squares ? I have pics on phone but not sure how to upload onto here ?

Anyone had this at all, games downloaded so looking forward to having time to do some gaming tomorro,

Also anyone else have the isue with tobii power precense

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Also noticed one side of laptop the lid is slightly bowed and can be pressed down not a huge amount but think going to get in touch with sales tomorro see if i can get discount or some money back

Thanks

Associate
OP
Well got in touch and sent pichures , didnt bother me but when spendong 1300 poind on kaptop it should right and on phone they said couldnt do anything further so either send back keep as didnt effect functionality ,yesterday the G key started sticking so i sent another email sayibg if give extra 10 percent off and get the keyboard sorted i would keep but will see what they say.

Dont get me wrong love the machine plays total war effortlessly , if goes back i will have to wait for next time offers are on and maybe get cheaper 13 model , does the 1060 perform just as well ?

Its principle why i am sending back as like i say they just said couldbt do anything even though screen noticably bowed and leds dim in places

Thanks dean

Associate
OP
Dell jist been in touch and taking a further 7 percent off price so happy with that as no one would even notice the screen or the leds but will have to get in touch with technical about the G key sticking on

Happy with that anyway so get to keep the beast at a better price

Associate
OP
Brilliant service came and changed keyboard today , next day service was excellent very impressed and glad got one from outlet haha still not checked any temps on machine at all.

Will download the program you recomended when off sunday

Back
Top Bottom