How smart is your home?

Associate
My small z-wave setup; x1 Veralite, on/off plugs for HDMI Matrix + Raspberry Pi for tv/kodi, lights in the living room that come on just after sunset. Had my xmas lights on a schedule using the on/off plugs. Motion sensor on the stairs which commands an LED strip under the banister but only at night.

Soldato
Not very, i have airplay, that's about it. Oh and PIR in Bathrooms, if you count that, but that's not exactly "smart".

I will look at it when we get a new boiler in a year or so, maybe. But i don't want a standard Nest/Hive setup, i want WiFi/Remote TRVs for zone control, otherwise there's little point.

Just not sold on "smart" home tech, there's little that I'm interested in.

Soldato
Nest Thermostat
2x Nest Protects
2x Elgato Eve Energy Plugs - Apple HomeKit Smart Plugs: https://www.elgato.com/en/eve

I've got the Elgato Eve plugs on two lights currently, and will be looking to add more over time. I'm really impressed with them and love the ability of asking Siri to switch on lights by my iPhone/iPad or using the iOS Home app.
Looking forward to seeing more devices support HomeKit overtime.

Soldato
Raspberry PI running Domoticz controlling

All my lightwaverf light switches, motion sensors, bathroom fan.

Amazon echo connected to a HA-Bridge running on another PI controlling my AV equipment, amp, TV, xbox, virgin box.

Wireless CCTV connected to yet another PI :) running motioneyeos 24/7 motion detection outside.

Associate
We're just getting started on making our home smart. Bought Philips Hue colour starter set and an Echo Dot this week. Really impressed with it, so much so that I'm going to nip out at lunch today and get some of the standard white Hue bulbs for all the other rooms, and some motion sensors for the bathrooms.

Would like some wireless CCTV for outside as well, especially with a new car inc (probably being a bit over cautious but its as good an excuse as any to do it!).

I'd also quite like the new Harmony remote and hub so I can link that to Echo as well.

Soldato
Anyone fancy making a guide thread? I'm just starting out and it's a minefield picking stuff. I got the WEMO lights but apparently it discontinued etc.

Would be great to see exactly what works with what etc

Permabanned
Anyone fancy making a guide thread? I'm just starting out and it's a minefield picking stuff. I got the WEMO lights but apparently it discontinued etc.

Would be great to see exactly what works with what etc

This is what worries me, there is no standardisation as yet (which is what everyone is fighting for).

I don't think you can make a guide on this as everyones setup is different (that's what you get with a mesh network)

but I suppose they could do a guide on the general layout (controller > hub > devices), but they wouldn't be able to go into specifics as everything is changing so rapidly.

Lightwave were all the rage a year or so ago, now I don't really hear about them and their site has gone poop...

Soldato
I'm just not sure about some stuff. Like I put WEMO bulbs in and now I can't really use the light switch and it feels ridiculous using my phone. So do I need to put fancy switches in the wall? Also I want to get motion sensors for when I travel but which ones are best and work with the rest? Bit of a minefield. Maybe I'll wait till the market settles.

Soldato
The market requires research and careful selection at the moment.

There is no sole ecosystem to invest in and Home Automation won't be truly accessible until there is.

That being said I enjoy having ownership of my system, so tinkering with my own servers floats my boat.

Soldato
I'm getting smart :)

Dont have heating as such (2x2kw oil filled radiators via 13amp mains plug) which are on the tp link smart plugs,i have another smart plug plugged into my kettle which is one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001L5SSGQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1,i have it set up before bed and turn it on via echo dot when i wake up.

Also have 6 Philips hue bulbs (color) and 3 echo dots scattered around my flat.

Will be doing the kitchen next with the Philips hue led strip and gu10 bulbs.

Soldato
Slowly getting smarter
  • Nest for heating
  • Hue now in 90% of rooms
  • All media severed from a single location to all devices in the house (and away)
  • Security/CCTV integrated
Still not 100% sold on a device listening to what you are saying/doing 24x7

Associate
Solar panel array
Geothermal energy

used for

a/c units in the kennels and stables
heating units in kennels and stables
powering water pumps from various wells
sprinkler system
irrigation system for orchard, plants and veg garden
electric fencing
electric gates
+ other bits and pieces

Soldato
I have only got hue at the moment, primary functions are:

Turn on/off all lights in my study. LED strip, FADO lamps etc.
Turn on/off all lights in my Lounge. GO lights, lamps.
Motion sensors upstairs and downstairs for hallway lights.

I did have GU10 in my kitchen and a motion sensor there too, but turns out that my new house has these all in one GU10 bulbs, which means I'd also need to replace the housing for them. Too much effort at the moment so I am selling the bulbs and the motion sensor.

I'd like the Hive thermostats when I can get them installed for cheap enough, and when I have the cash to do it.

This place has quite a few windows compared to my previous house, the next most useful "smart" thing I would see a good use for, would be a control system to open/close windows at the touch of a button from a central location. And also for windows to close themselves if they detect rain (like how some car windscreen wipers come on automatically).

Associate
it would seem that LightwaveRF can only control a combi? I cannot see any further info on their website that suggests a dual channel traditional hot water/central heating version?

Am I missing something? I get the jist I can use a LWRF relay to control the immersion.

Back
Top Bottom