Stuff to do in Hamburg

Soldato
One of my friends managed to get return flights to Hamburg for all of us for £30 and a hostel for £60 each for three nights. Going on Saturday.

We are a group of 20 something year old lads. The plan is to go to lots of bars/pubs etc. Can anybody recommend any in particular? Our hostel is slap bang in the centre. Good places to eat also? Not looking to spend much on food but could have at least one nice meal whilst we're there.

I went to Prague recently and was blown away by how nice a city it was with regards to buildings etc. Does Hamburg have any cool places to walk to/any nice architecture to see?

I realize we should have done some research beforehand, but for the price, we didn't really need to!

Soldato
Well it sounds like you want to go and drink up the place, what else is there to suggest? Just go, drink lots, be loud and annoying in beautiful public spaces and generally keep up the 'Brits abroad' approach. Job's a good'un.

Man of Honour
Go to Burgerlich for a brilliant burger, walk down to the harbour area (where the huge philharmonic building is, that's impressive to look at). There's a few Hofbrau-type places around which are good fun, ie 1 litre steins of Oktoberfest-style beer, silly Bavarian dress, a bartender who almost threw us out when we tried to order tap water (and still wouldn't actually give it to us!)

Also check out the minature wonderland. Seriously. We went along thinking we'd be out in 15 minutes but were still there 3 hours later. It's a great hangover cure because it makes you forget you came to Hamburg for a stag do. There's so much to see. Bonus points if you find the cannabis farm. The airport is incredible.

When I say the above you probably wonder what kind of a stag do I went on but we also went to the same kebab place 3 times in one day (4am, 6pm, 11pm!).....I figure you don't need telling about the Reeperbahn because it's self-explanatory....

Caporegime
Well it sounds like you want to go and drink up the place, what else is there to suggest? Just go, drink lots, be loud and annoying in beautiful public spaces and generally keep up the 'Brits abroad' approach. Job's a good'un.

Have you been abroad, ever?

You do realise that every other nation at that age is the same? OK, we can be pretty awful. But the OP doesn't sound like some kid going to magaluf.....

Soldato
Miniatur wunderland is awesome! I didn't know what to expect going in but it's insane, there's a miniature airport and you can actually match up the arrivals and departures to the planes landing / departing.

The Hamburg history museum was really good, it's the one in the park by the reeperbahn. Also, we took a boat trip up and down the alster, it took about an hour and was just nice to sit back and relax.

The reeperbahn is good for ab evening, it's a bit seedy but in a very German way.

Soldato
I've been to Hamburg and I'd like to suggest something other than the Reeperbahn but that's where we spent our days and nights, mostly drunk

I do recall some museum with an H R Giger exhibit which was ok

Ps watch out for scams in the 'adult' places

Back
Top Bottom