17" gaming laptop spec help

Caporegime
hey so been thinking about how im going to use the laptop and what it realistically needs (and trying some 15/17" screens to decide the size.)

main features im after

budget around £1,500
1070 for graphics
1080P Ips screen (best quality possible)
good speakers
fairly quiet with fan noise

not too concerned with battery life as will mostly be used near a power socket when I'm away at weekends.

weight isnt a major issue as it will only get carried twice a week. so as long as its not like 4kg+ thats ok.

And I'd like good build quality but I am aware of the budget.

Soldato
You can get an Alienware for that price. Mine was quiet when watching movies and doing general stuff. Sound was very good.

Noisy when gaming though, like all gaming laptops.

Caporegime
OP
looking at alien ware i can o ly find 1050/1060 in that price range 1070 seems to be 2k plus.

there's a few Asus ROG ones on Amazon that have 1070 for around 1.5k but what's the build quality like on them

Soldato
Have you tried the Dell Outlet? If you find a laptop you like, chat with them online and they'll (probably) give you a discount. Onsite warrantyis nice also.

Don't know about ROG I'm afraid.

Associate
You can get an Alienware for that price. Mine was quiet when watching movies and doing general stuff. Sound was very good.

Noisy when gaming though, like all gaming laptops.

My 17R4 has been repasted wth liquid metal and runs silent on full settings in any game including dark souls 3/ GTa 5. ambient temps are 20-25c. Load temps are 50-60c and that's with fans running at sub 2000rpm (inaudible).

Soldato
My 17R4 has been repasted wth liquid metal and runs silent on full settings in any game including dark souls 3/ GTa 5. ambient temps are 20-25c. Load temps are 50-60c and that's with fans running at sub 2000rpm (inaudible).

I'd like to see that in a video.

Is that on Notebookreview?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06VTWY8X5/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501545292&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=17"+laptop+1070&dpPl=1&dpID=41AtcY8i77L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

what do you guys think to this?

120hz ups gsync
i7
16gb ram

The 1600 quid option doesnt have an ssd though could i pick one up cheaper myself and add it or am i better off paying more and having it already.

they seem to bump the price up a lot

Yeah they bump the price that lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
OP

does opening it up and repasting not invalidate the warrenty?

btw @vargos have you got the tobii eye tracking on your alien ware?

having looked at some videos for casual gaming it looks like a great tool.

im thinking I might just spend the extra and go for a 17 r4

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The eye tracking was good. I didn't have the laptop long as it was sold here on the MM, I ended up building a desktop instead.

I had the 17R4 with a 1080. It had a gsync screen at 1440p, think it was also 120hz. Battlefield 1 and the Witcher3 was excellent, didn't play too many other games.

The lighting looks cool also

Soldato
Im have moved from a desktop setup to a laptop for work and gaming after desktop for 15 years, mainly because i need a machine i can use in office and house plus away.

Have just got an Alienware R4 17 from dell outlet

16GB (2x8GB) 2667MHz DDR4 Memory Non-ECC
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive
Primary 6-cell 99W/HR Battery
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK
NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB
17.3inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display

This was from Dell Outlet, priced up as new was £3200 from outlet it was £2,100 and it was literally brand new, still all stickers and pull off plastic. Gaming with Doom at 3840x2160 at Ultra its pretty much 60fps, fans ramp up but pretty much as expected. Hooked up to iiyama 40" 4k monitor the experience is amazing, the only issue i have had is the lights you cant seem to turn them off and can be a bit tempromental so i have disabled them but other then that i am blown away.

Caporegime
OP
other options seem to be the up omen 17 or one of the Mau ones but im wary of Mau having read some of the threads on here

at least alienware/hp/Asus seem to have good cs

Associate
Just ordered a 17" Omen for the wife, specs are: i7-6700HQ, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1070 for £1271.99 plus £12.49 for sunday delivery... Y3W47EA#ABU is the part number.

Its not perfect, but its cheaper than the 1060 spec machines I've been looking at and she will be fine with the included storage until the warranty expires.

Associate
I'd like to see that in a video.

Is that on Notebookreview?

I'm not sure if you meant a video of the repasting (which can be found on NBR - iunlock has posted several of them) or a video of a game running with the fans near silent? If it is the latter, I made a quick video for you in GTA 5. I'm not a pro at making videos I'm afraid so I don't know if it's any good but what I tried to do is mute the game volume so you can hear the ambient sound and you'll note that it's practically silent as there sounds of me coughing, clicking the mouse, and cars driving by outside which will appear much louder than the ambient sound of the laptop. Later in the video I alt-tab into windows and show you the HWInfo screen with temps and fan speeds. I manually adjust it to 7000rpm just to show you the difference between how it was running and what the laptop would sound like stock.

p.s. Don't mind the crap driving - it's seriously hard trying to hold a phone still taking a video while playing a game!

Link:
https://youtu.be/pY-S2hiAotk

Associate
does opening it up and repasting not invalidate the warrenty?

btw @vargos have you got the tobii eye tracking on your alien ware?

having looked at some videos for casual gaming it looks like a great tool.

im thinking I might just spend the extra and go for a 17 r4

Nope, repasting does not invalidate the warranty.

Associate
I'm not sure if you meant a video of the repasting (which can be found on NBR - iunlock has posted several of them) or a video of a game running with the fans near silent? If it is the latter, I made a quick video for you in GTA 5. I'm not a pro at making videos I'm afraid so I don't know if it's any good but what I tried to do is mute the game volume so you can hear the ambient sound and you'll note that it's practically silent as there sounds of me coughing, clicking the mouse, and cars driving by outside which will appear much louder than the ambient sound of the laptop. Later in the video I alt-tab into windows and show you the HWInfo screen with temps and fan speeds. I manually adjust it to 7000rpm just to show you the difference between how it was running and what the laptop would sound like stock.

p.s. Don't mind the crap driving - it's seriously hard trying to hold a phone still taking a video while playing a game!

Link:
https://youtu.be/pY-S2hiAotk

It's a short video (completely understand) but none the less it is really impressive. I bought a 17r4 back in February (v2) and it still was unacceptably loud and fans were blasting within seconds of loading up Doom and temps were at 95C+ causing it to throttle. I returned it a week later. I was aware of the results people were getting on NBR but I was too scared to open it up and do the repaste myself. Might have to buy another one and do it as having that kind of performance on near silent operation would be perfect for me. Can I ask if you did it yourself and if so, would you be able to help me do it?

Associate
It's a short video (completely understand) but none the less it is really impressive. I bought a 17r4 back in February (v2) and it still was unacceptably loud and fans were blasting within seconds of loading up Doom and temps were at 95C+ causing it to throttle. I returned it a week later. I was aware of the results people were getting on NBR but I was too scared to open it up and do the repaste myself. Might have to buy another one and do it as having that kind of performance on near silent operation would be perfect for me. Can I ask if you did it yourself and if so, would you be able to help me do it?

No unfortunately I was also unwilling to open it up and do it. I bought it from Dell US and had it shipped directly to Iunlock (the guy pioneering the technique) to his house in Seattle and paid him to do it as well as upgrade a bunch of components for me. (Dual Samsung 960pro's, upgraded subwoofer, upgraded keyboard and mouse pad and a few other things). I then had him ship it to Miami where I picked it up when I went on holiday in April.

I think he has a contact in the UK who does the repaste for about 150 quid. Maybe best to message him on NBR and find out what options would be available to you

Caporegime
OP
Alienware 17 - R4

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK (Quad Core, up to 3.90 GHz, 8MB Cache, 45W)

Windows 10 Home (64bit)

16GB (2x8GB) 2667MHz DDR4 Memory Non-ECC

1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB

Software

Killer 1435 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

LCD Cover Assembly

Power Cord : 250V

Primary 6-cell 99W/HR Battery

17.3 inch QHD (2560 x 1440) 120Hz TN+WVA Anti-Glare 400-nits with Tobii IR Eye-tracking

Internal Qwerty Backlit Keyboard

Internal Qwerty Backlit Keyboard

is up for 1600 on sell outlet listed as scratch and dent.

seems a really good price for the spec but as it brings a 1080 ingo my price range but im not sure about the screen i was going to go for the 1080 ips not sure how good the the 4k TN one will be as well as being a big drain on the gfx as it gets older for new games

how bad is the scratched/dent category?

Back
Top Bottom