**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
Q5 update today on my sim free Samsung supplied S8+

Seems ridiculous considering it's a sim free phone and we are now on Q7 for other variants :rolleyes:

All the more reason I want to go Pixel XL2 to avoid all these delayed updates. Sim free phones should take priority over carrier phones as well!

It's a good thing Substratum etc have been keeping me busy lol.

Yep, I've had the same update land on my Amazon-supplied Plus today, too. Substratum had a bit of a fit but all sorted now.

Soldato
So grabbed one of these off Amazon from Amazon themselves at £599 (supposedly brand new) the other day and it turned up today. However it's clearly a refurb as there is a small mark on the back, and the accessories are all S7 accessories (micro USB charger etc.). Amazon gave me a £120 discount which is cool, but I'm a bit concerned where I stand on warranty. They told me it was all kosher but I'm clearly not the first owner and I wouldn't want Samsung to try and worm their way out of warranty support if something happened. Any thoughts?

Amazon in my experience are great for mobile phones, when my Z3 Compact developed a fault after 7 months or so they sent me a brand new device. You're good for a year with them when it comes to repairs etc so I can't see any issues if I'm honest. Amazon will sort everything for you :)

Soldato
Amazon in my experience are great for mobile phones, when my Z3 Compact developed a fault after 7 months or so they sent me a brand new device. You're good for a year with them when it comes to repairs etc so I can't see any issues if I'm honest. Amazon will sort everything for you :)

Thanks mate, that's good. Makes me feel a bit more at ease :)

Underboss
Bought myself a Spiegen Neo case, lovely fit and feels very nice, also got myself a screen protector - is it worth it for the S8 or is the glass a good enough quality to avoid light pocket style scratches?

Associate
Bought myself a Spiegen Neo case, lovely fit and feels very nice, also got myself a screen protector - is it worth it for the S8 or is the glass a good enough quality to avoid light pocket style scratches?

im in the same boat as you mate, new s8 user still trying to find a decent screen protector

Associate
I just bought the screenknight cheapo screen protector they have on ebay. While it isn't absolutely as smooth as having the tempered glass ones, it does the job for covering the curved glass.

Soldato
Something started do drain my battery... battery at 39% screen ate 12% with 1h20mins SOT and next on the list is google services with 9% android os and android system both 7% each...
Barely used phone today...been cycling since 6am and only took some photos and sent some messages....

Something is defo not on...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
https://www.xda-developers.com/sungstratum-samsung-substratum-touchwiz/

A really good write-up on Substratum and how it evolved into Sungstratum to allow Nougat level Samsung phones to be themed without root, even though Samsung didn't care about sharing their own code with AOSP like Sony do. It makes you really appreciate the mod community and the level of complexities between OEM ecosystems they had to work with to get this working so well.

Associate
Anybody care to take a guess on whether there will be a price drop on the S8 when the iPhone 8 is released?

The battery on my S7 has taken a bit of a substantial dive over the last 2-3 months so I'm looking at replacing. Does anyone know whether historically the Galaxy has dropped in price around the time of the newest iPhone launch? Wondering whether it's worth holding on another month or 2 before making the switch to the S8...

Back
Top Bottom