• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade pondering - 4790k

Associate
Been running a 4790k for around 2 years now... Maybe more? Feels like less! Bought it for £230 on release, which seems like peanuts compared to what high end i7s go for now.

Anyone know if it's worth the upgrade to a new DDR4 platform? My motherboard is a Maximus VII Ranger, which has red accents. My case is a white S340 Elite and I want a black/white build for a new home. Hence, want rid of the red RAM and mobo.

Just unsure whether to wait for Coffee Lake or whatever. I've been out of touch with the market for a while now so am unsure what people's thoughts are in terms of waiting/upgrading/rebuilding.

Anyone who has done an upgrade from 4790k to 6700k or 7700k?

Associate
I'm in the same boat but pondering over the 8 core threadripper which should offer a good upgrade path to the next iteration as the socket should remain the same.
Josh.

Associate
OP
I'm in the same boat but pondering over the 8 core threadripper which should offer a good upgrade path to the next iteration as the socket should remain the same.
Josh.

Threadripper you say? Ugh, just when I thought I'd caught up with the latest in the industry. Time to get back on the Google. I'm guessing Threadripper is true 8 core, not excavator/piledriver again?

Edit: Guessing in the current climate $549 will translate to £549, which I think is past what I'd pay for a CPU! Plus it looks like a super high end mobo is required.

Associate
Threadripper you say? Ugh, just when I thought I'd caught up with the latest in the industry. Time to get back on the Google. I'm guessing Threadripper is true 8 core, not excavator/piledriver again?

Edit: Guessing in the current climate $549 will translate to £549, which I think is past what I'd pay for a CPU! Plus it looks like a super high end mobo is required.
You can get 90% of the performance though with around half the pcie lanes in the form of B350/X370 and Ryzen 1700. You do get more pcie lanes than budget intel boards as well however that may change with their new 6 core but I doubt it.
Josh.

Associate
I really can't see a 1700 (or any cpu for that matter) being a decent upgrade (sidegrade? Downgrade maybe in some games?) over a 4790k, unless you are using applications that need and utilise the cores.

Wait for coffeelake, or even longer. Not a huge point upgrading right now (unless you can make full use of the cores/threads).

Soldato
As I said in another thread. I have 2 gaming PC's, main one is an 4790K and my second one is an R7 1700. I cant tell the difference in performance between them so stick to the 4790K a few more years.

Caporegime
wait for coffee lake.ryzen would be similar performance apart from extra cores.many people just realize that more cores does help finally.

coffee lake should have better single thread over ryzen and oc higher so basically better for gaming and have enough cores of what games use.

there wont be massive jumps in cores vs single thread towards amd anyway from what we have now for 3-5 years.so just get best single thread performance and 6 cores or above.

if ryzen would clock to high 4ghz 4-7-4-8 there wouldnt be a debate.realistically they only do 4ghz so even most modern i5s beat them ingames.

Caporegime
yeh, see what coffee lake brings. 4.7ghz single core boost with 4.3ghz all core at stock, 2666mhz stock mem support and with a bit of luck some IPC increase over kabylake could see it being a brilliant cpu. If Intel can price it under £300 as well it could be a very good release.

That might be a big ask, but doing all of the above is the only way for Intel to make themselves a no brainer option again compared to Ryzen.

Back
Top Bottom