World Athletics Championships (Potential Spoilers)

Associate
If there was any conclusive evidence that doping gives you an advantage for life, Gatlin would have been banned for life, but there isn't and so give the guy a break. He's won through hard work and for someone who's most likely being dope tested at every turn he makes, he deserves more merit than the guy who pretends not to hear the door bell when the inspectors turn up.

Caporegime
If there was any conclusive evidence that doping gives you an advantage for life, Gatlin would have been banned for life, but there isn't and so give the guy a break. He's won through hard work and for someone who's most likely being dope tested at every turn he makes, he deserves more merit than the guy who pretends not to hear the door bell when the inspectors turn up.

Where's the conclusive evidence of no benefit?

Soldato

I don't really follow athletics that much - I thought the bloke had recently come back from a ban so decided to read up on all of it. It was in 2006,and his coach,Trevor Graham, had doped loads of the athletes under him - if anything I would be asking more serious questions of the US athletics administration themselves. If one coach had already done it,what about others - we might never know who got away with doping.

However in the end,he is probably going to be under even much scrutiny,and all this crying is hilarious when Bolt hugged the bloke and said congratulations to him - its funny when fans are more angry than the actual man himself. Bolt could have easily just ignored him and walked off.

Soldato
OP
Does lane discipline rules only apply to the shorter races? I noticed Mo putting one foot outside the track when he tripped up on the 10k.

Either it was missed which is unlikely or it was dismissed as a DQ for him either being tripped (not sure, looks like he caught his own foot) or for being forced off track, or because it's Mo in England :)

Soldato
Love crunchee telling us to give him a break. Caught cheating twice yet is still able to compete. He shouldn't be allowed 100m within a race track let alone on one.

Associate
I don't really follow athletics that much - I thought the bloke had recently come back from a ban so decided to read up on all of it. It was in 2006,and his coach,Trevor Graham, had doped loads of the athletes under him - if anything I would be asking more serious questions of the US athletics administration themselves. If one coach had already done it,what about others - we might never know who got away with doping.

However in the end,he is probably going to be under even much scrutiny,and all this crying is hilarious when Bolt hugged the bloke and said congratulations to him - its funny when fans are more angry than the actual man himself. Bolt could have easily just ignored him and walked off.
that was his second drug ban btw. His first being in 2001. Hell he could still be cheating now for all we know, the cheats are usually way ahead off the tests. The amount of Olympic athletes who get busted 4 to 8 years later when samples get retested is proof of that. Do you really want sport to be full of cheats who only get caught years after they've profited? Just have to hammer the cheats hard. Cheat and destroy your career forever if caught.

Associate
Obviously running better than you ever have in your mid 30s is in no way connected to doping in your early and mid 20s......... Give the guy a break lol.
I know right. Bolt one of the greatest ever sprinters slowing down and retiring at what 31. Gatlin running as fast or faster than ever into mid 30's.... Not proof of guilt or evidence that his previous cheating continues to aid him but it's pretty f'ing sketchy.

Soldato
tbh i feel they all cheat thats the impression world athletics portrays to me. inc bolt, farah unfortunately. Gatlin should never have been allowed to compete again...twice he was caught lol. I have no concrete evidence re bolt and Farah i just have suspicion and i cant watch it and enjoy it if i feel smt dodgy is going on....thats why its hard to watch footie now same story.....

Caporegime
In the grand scheme of things, that result means nothing. Gatlin has absolutely no credibility in the sport and he'll always be considered a loser whether he wins or not.

Sad to see a legend go out in that way but Bolt, conversely, will always be considered a winner and that respect is what Gatlin will want more than anything.

Associate
people tend to forget that colemen also beat bolt
Don't think it's about bolt not winning, it's more about gatlin winning. The significance of the race just adds more of a spotlight to it. Old time great narrowly losing to up and comer is a story everyone can accept. Him losing to a cheat 4 years older than him? That just doesn't sit right.

Soldato
My jaw hit the floor at the end of the race. Not so much about Gatlin, but I truly TRULY didn't expect Bolt to lose. And not only lose but to come 3rd! :eek: I mean, wtf happened to him? Clearly his complaint about the starting block yesterday was more about him than the block.

Something wasn't right with him. Seemed to have lost his mojo, or his hunger, or too old, or too much expectation and pressure for him. So utterly disappointing, I was really hoping and expecting Bolt to go out with a flourish and remain unbeaten, just like Mo did. Although Mo still has the 5000m to run.

It's very sad. Had he quit after the Olympics he could live happily ever after as the unbeaten legend. And as he didn't win gold, he wasn't even able to perform his famous arrow pose. Well, I think he's got a 4x4 relay to run, so no doubt Jamaica will storm that and Bolt can still end with victory.

Soldato
He still ran a season's best I believe, just everyone else was more invested because it was the final. I don't think he'll be too disappointed,

One thing I don't get about people who just shrug it off and say "they're all doping" - does proof not matter at all? No matter what hunches you might have from your armchair, at the end of the day there has to be a difference between a proven, convicted and admitted cheat, and people for whom there is no supporting evidence to say they've cheated. I can't believe that 100% of sportspeople are dopers. The real proportion is almost certainly between that and the number of people who have already been caught. But some people are clean, and it's a dangerous situation to be in when you can be clean but not have it count for anything if everyone just believes you're dirty regardless.

Caporegime

While I'd have loved to see Bolt win his last race, truth is he didn't run fast enough. It isn't about Bolt. Everytime a cheat wins, it degrades the value of sport. The pathetic levels of tolerance shown are a disgrace.

Soldato
They found a new undetectable drug :)

Well how "detectable" depends on how competent the drug testing agency is lol....for instance if you compare Jamaica's JADCO with British anti-doping stringency...they are not even in the same ballpark. Its all lolworthy tbh.

What is banned in one country is given exception in another.... The whole thing is a sham.. surprised some of you guys still believe in it.

Back
Top Bottom