Which monitor calibrator for iMac?

Associate
Seconding the X-Rite i1 Display Pro. It's still a little more accurate/sensitive compared to the newer Spyder 5 Pro.

Like I mentioned in your TP thread, it's by far the most common calibrator I see on set and at post production places.

Soldato
Sorry to butt in.
I already have a Spyder 4 Pro and I'm using a LG 4K monitor http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-31MU97 with True Colour Pro (the calibration software that comes with it) on Windows 10.
Do you think it's worth spending £159 to get the Xrite Pro or don't you think I'd see much improvement?

Thank you.

No, try "Display cal" junk the spyder software.

Last edited:
Associate
I calibrated using DisplayCal. It's very slow, it took well over a hour to complete.
I can't see any differences from using the True Colour Pro software.
But, it does provide extra info after calibration.

Soldato
I calibrated using DisplayCal. It's very slow, it took well over a hour to complete.
I can't see any differences from using the True Colour Pro software.
But, it does provide extra info after calibration.

Did you install the color correction data for your Spyder.

You say there is no difference for example ? comparisons e.t.c.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you install the color correction data for your Spyder.

You say there is no difference for example ? comparisons e.t.c.
Yes. My Spyder shows up in the software.
No, real differences. Checking photos in Ps and online.
I think it was slow due to the number of patches it checks. It was set to default, but I've since read online that you can speed up the calibration by checking fewer patches, but it becomes less accurate.

In a way, it's good that I can't see any differences. It means the LG software is pretty good.

Associate
If you bought it from Amazon, I take full credit for saving you £30 off the new price and whatever amount off the Warehouse price.
Last week I told Amazon the competition were selling it for £159 (Amazon were selling it for £199), but I'm not sure why they didn't price match with the other stores.

If you didn't buy it from Amazon, I've just wasted your time reading this :D soz ;)

Caporegime
OP
If you bought it from Amazon, I take full credit for saving you £30 off the new price and whatever amount off the Warehouse price.
Last week I told Amazon the competition were selling it for £159 (Amazon were selling it for £199), but I'm not sure why they didn't price match with the other stores.

If you didn't buy it from Amazon, I've just wasted your time reading this :D soz ;)

Ahem …

https://www.wilkinson.co.uk/x-rite-i1-display-pro/

I actually called Calumet, ask them if they could price match as I never bought from Wilkinson Cameras before, Calumet told me that at £149 is less than their cost price!

I also alerted Amazon of this price, waited a bit to see if their price adjust before giving in and bought it from Wilkinson in the end. It came via DPD too.

Associate
Ahem …

https://www.wilkinson.co.uk/x-rite-i1-display-pro/

I actually called Calumet, ask them if they could price match as I never bought from Wilkinson Cameras before, Calumet told me that at £149 is less than their cost price!

I also alerted Amazon of this price, waited a bit to see if their price adjust before giving in and bought it from Wilkinson in the end. It came via DPD too.

Nice one. Bargain of the week :)

Back
Top Bottom