Compatible extension cables

Soldato
I was going to post in the Rift thread but I guess this also applies to Vive and with this subsection being so niche, a new thread can't do much harm!

If I'm looking to extend the headset and sensor cables, do I need to look out for anything special with regards to the HDMI and USB specs?

Soldato
Can be a bit picky judging by reports. For the headset I'm only extending 2m which helps to reduce the chance of issues but still really helps reduce the amount of tangling in echo arena (plus I can just quickly unplug both cables, untwist them and plug them back in in about 15 seconds between games)

Can confirm that for me the 2m UGREEN usb 3.0 extension & HDMI extension are working for the rift itself with no issues. If you go much longer you'll need active cables.

Before that, for the front sensors I bought 2 x 2m cateck usb 3.0 extensions - one of them reports as USB 2 and the other reports as USB 3 but I only actually needed one in the end anyway.

I also have a UGREEN 5m active usb 2 extension for my third sensor which works fine (I thought I was going to need to extend it a bit further so the monoprice one that came with the sensor is still in its box)

Soldato
OP
Thanks, that helps. Probably do want a bit longer than 2m else the extension pretty much ends at your feet! I'm tempted by a small hook in the ceiling to take the cable straight up as well but not sure that'll pass the OH's QC since the setup is in our lounge...

Soldato
I was going to post in the Rift thread but I guess this also applies to Vive and with this subsection being so niche, a new thread can't do much harm!

If I'm looking to extend the headset and sensor cables, do I need to look out for anything special with regards to the HDMI and USB specs?

go on reddit (/r/oculus or /r/vive) each HMD has a wikki with what cables to buy that are confirmed working.

Soldato
I have bought the same USB 3.0 cables as Zogger, haven't got them yet, so I am glad to read that they work. But, I am only getting the 2m ones. I am also getting the same brand of HDMI cable, from UGreen. It's the 4K one.

If you want to go longer than 2m, the 5M Monoprice USB2 ones that come with the sensor are fine. If you feel you must have USB 3, then the monoprice USB 3 ones get good reviews as well when used with the Rift.

Lastly, I am buying a retractable cable management system that uses hooks on the ceiling. To be honest, it doesn't look that great in the pictures, I can't see it passing the wife test if you use it in the lounge. For me, the looks don't matter as long as it works :)

Won't be getting these for the next couple of weeks, if you haven't bought by then I can give you a review of it.

Soldato
OP
Lastly, I am buying a retractable cable management system that uses hooks on the ceiling. To be honest, it doesn't look that great in the pictures, I can't see it passing the wife test if you use it in the lounge. For me, the looks don't matter as long as it works

Yeah I saw you mention that, I think you inspired me. I don't think I was thinking of any kind of 'system' though, just a plain white hook to lead the cable upwards with some slack for movement.

Soldato
Yeah I saw you mention that, I think you inspired me. I don't think I was thinking of any kind of 'system' though, just a plain white hook to lead the cable upwards with some slack for movement.

It was only £20 and got great reviews, so I will chance it :)

Associate
For my Vive I have 10m cables and I'm using:

UGREEN USB Extension Cable, 10m USB 3.0 Male to Female Active Repeater Cable with Signal Amplifier Repeater for Printers, Oculus Rift, Wifi Antenna, PlayStation VR, HTC VIVE,Keyboards, Game Console, loudspeakers, scanners, displays, headsets etc.

and

StarTech.com 10m (33 ft) Active CL2 In-wall High Speed HDMI Cable HDMI to HDMI M/M- 2x 19 pin HDMI (A) 1080p - Audio/Video, Gold-Plated

Back
Top Bottom