Does nobody buy a car outright? Am I missing something?

Man of Honour
:confused:
You're not making any sense.

Let me try to make things clear, as it seems you're not picking up on my point.

Few on this thread seem to be able to pay cash for cars. You included. That's fine. My objection isn't societal nor personal; my objection is to your misplaced moral high ground when you're clearly just as guilty of keeping up with the Joneses as SDK is. And that's saying something.

Given the chance, you'll probably go on to talk about 'opportunity cost' and money you would rather invest to return more than you spend financing your gauche trinkets. Probably buy to let property. Or oil futures. Something you don't fully understand but sounds good posted here, to a braying audience of teenagers.

It happens on every forum across the internet. The cars are different, the audience is different, the excuses are (slightly) different. But the cost arguments are always the same and you know it.

*Shiver*

Nah, you wanted to make a cheap shot in my direction, now you are trying to elevate it to a debate. I have bought many cars for cash, I shared a couple of examples but you seem to want to put me in a box which is fine, won't be the first or last.

Soldato

Few on this thread seem to be able to pay cash for cars. You included. That's fine. My objection isn't societal nor personal; my objection is to your misplaced moral high ground when you're clearly just as guilty of keeping up with the Joneses as SDK is. And that's saying something.

Given the chance, you'll probably go on to talk about 'opportunity cost' and money you would rather invest to return more than you spend financing your gauche trinkets. Probably buy to let property. Or oil futures. Something you don't fully understand but sounds good posted here, to a braying audience of teenagers.

It happens on every forum across the internet. The cars are different, the audience is different, the excuses are (slightly) different. But the cost arguments are always the same and you know it.

*Shiver*

Surely one doesn't buy an Audi R8 just to "keep up with the Joneses"?

Man of Honour
I'm shocked and stunned you think I have people without double barrel surnames in my local vicinity.

Have I learned you nothing!

Soldato
OP
I think I'll make more threads in motors in the future - the hilarity of some of the most recent posts have not disappointed.

Soldato

*Shiver*

While you may have a point that some do indeed make "excuses" for their purchase decisions, it's unfair of you to assume there aren't valid benefits, just because you're not convinced they exist.

I stand by Housey entirely on this matter, and I'll demonstrate why.

I normally purchase all of my supercars and exotics outright, but there have been a few lately that I've financed almost exclusively. Let me show you a couple of examples here: My F430 Scuderia, paid $182k for it, financed all of it for 1.9%, used the money to make 4-6% per year, and the car was worth $220k when I sold it. My current Porsche GT4, paid $99k for it, 0.9% interest with 10k down, I make 6% on the money in the bank, and my car is worth $10k more than I bought it for.

You may argue that I "can't afford" to buy these cars then, and without showing you my bank statements (which isn't going to happen), you'll just have to take my word for it. One of the last cars I paid cash for I lost $120k in a year on, which wasn't a pleasant experience, and is why I'm tending towards cars that at least somewhat maintain their value.

There are instances, especially when we're talking about high end cars and the current financial market where using a finance agreement makes far greater sense than not.

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends on what's going on at the time.

I bought my motorbike and my wife's car for cash in January (19k between them) but if I had to buy a car now it would be on finance, because I spent 19k on a motorbike and car for my wife in janaury.

As well as last month paying for new double glazing, HTC Vive, 1080ti, 4K monitor, new surface pro for the wife (all in cash).

Finance isn't evil, I'm quite happy to do it.

My Brother in law, like the poster above is hugely wealthy and the last car he bought out right for cash is a new V8 X5 a good 4 or 5 years ago now, his new Mercedes is on tick because it's peanuts a month.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely one doesn't buy an Audi R8 just to "keep up with the Joneses"?
From the sound of some of Housey's trips, his pals certainly know how to party (if partying if having nice cars).

I'm shocked and stunned you think I have people without double barrel surnames in my local vicinity.
I thought your driveway was so long that no one at all was in your local vicinity? :confused:

One of the last cars I paid cash for I lost $120k in a year on
Flippin' 'eck, may I ask what that was?

Soldato
Well that surely depends on what the Joneses have on the driveway :p

From the sound of some of Housey's trips, his pals certainly know how to party (if partying if having nice cars).

My point was, the primary reason for buying one isn't image - of all the super cars, I think it's the one you'd least likely associate with being a flashy trinket to impress others. And Housey certainly doesn't come across as someone that shallow, so I think Backslice's attack is unwarranted.

Caporegime
Think some people need to get a little perspective on things, leasing/financing/outright however you want to acquire your average new car or even used within range puts you in the top percentages world wide, the quicker you stop basing reality around people more wealthy than you the better your existence will be.

Driving around in an expensive motor will always have an element of impressing others but the perception is usually on the other foot and not the the driver. Are some of those pushing their finances doing so? Yes, but most of them can comfortably afford them regardless of how they've chosen to purchase it and certainly aren't doing it to keep up with the joneses, that kind of behaviour is usually seen lower down the wealth ladder where people really are struggling to keep up appearances.

Caporegime
I looked at finance a SEAT Leon through my work scheme then banged my head against a wall and bought my M3 without finance as I realised it would probably be similar cost over 2yrs.

I previously had my S2000 for 11yrs and I preferred no monthly payments for a car. I don't think there is a right answer as everyone is different. The car ownership model will change more, its already moved from a ownership to 'rental' aka lease, in the future it may be like Jonnycabs with EVs around cities and renting a car for the weekend. Stuff like ZIPcar where people don't have to waste time driving and can use instagram instead.

Associate
I brought my car outright but i did the finance to negotiate an extra £2500 off , then 3 days after receiving the new car , i called up the finance and exercised my rights to 'withdraw' from the finance and they gave me a figure of settlement and i did a BACS over for the amount. The interest paid was like a tenner.

It might be worth doing if it was 0% , but it was like 5.9% at the time , and over the course of 3 years , it worked out like £3k worth of interest.

I did the same thing just to get a service package thrown in :). I really do not like the thought of having to pay out each month and am probably a bit old school in respect of the fact that I like to OWN something.

Soldato
No its not its full of idiots in S Line, AMG super sport, M sport, ST Line, R Line etc .
Back to this point :)

I think the reason why people go for sporty trim options without the high spec engine is for two reasons.
  1. Most people do not want high powered cars. Either through the extra running costs or are not interested in traffic light GP’s.
  2. On the road you cannot use the extra performance for the majority of the time.
I've found with my Golf R that 99% of my driving is done at a pace where the performance is wasted. I’m either sitting in stop-start traffic or following a long line of cars doing the speed limit. At least with the German sport line spec’d cars you can realise the benefits all of the time e.g. the looks and interior quality.

Soldato
Sounds like you couldn't afford it tbh if it was the cash for the car or holidays.

All a bit Daily Star if you ask me, except it's an R8 not a Zafira and presumably somewhere like Tuscany instead of Benidorm.

PAHAHA :D

Ignore the troll. He bashes people earning a 'pittance' then gets jealous and trolls those who earn more than him.

Back
Top Bottom