Canon 6D MKII Announced

Associate
Warranty on imports has always been my concern !
I purchased a 70-300L IS ISM and it stopped working 2 weeks out side ots warranty.
I aent to canon at Hatfield, herts for repair and tbey mentioned they would repair it free even though it was just outside it's warranty. However when they checked it was a grey import the free repair was with drawn. ....dam, i then had to pay.

Soldato
I very rarely have anything go wrong, and what is canon's warranty, 1 year?? should be 2 really like in the rest of the eu.

I sent my sisters 70-300L off the other week to canon, 2 years out of warrany, the front element went all funny , like the coating went bad, never happened in 10 years of L lenses, they wanted £240 to sort it, i rang up complained and they knocked £50 off.

Associate
I very rarely have anything go wrong, and what is canon's warranty, 1 year?? should be 2 really like in the rest of the eu.

I sent my sisters 70-300L off the other week to canon, 2 years out of warrany, the front element went all funny , like the coating went bad, never happened in 10 years of L lenses, they wanted £240 to sort it, i rang up complained and they knocked £50 off.

That was a good result by you.
I tried arguing that this is a L lense regardless where it was sold. As all the 70-390L come out of the same factory. Just the distribution centre is different. I believe all European L lense are shipped vis anterp, Netherlands. So not much of difference if sold in Europe or UK !
I might even buy a used Tamron Di 70-300 as that is 95% as sharpe ( in most focul lengths ) as the EF 70-300L at a 5th of yhe cost !
I use mind for portrait and sport events. However if i travel abroad i would sooner use something like the Tamron.

Soldato
OP
Well I was all set to import one of these but the reports of the loss dynamic range and lack of flexibility and exposure latitude in the RAW files has given me some pause for thought.

I do tend to expose for the highlights and pull the shadows back so I fear this is one for me to avoid. I have downloaded a few RAW samples and am quite shocked by the low amount of adjustment needed to introduce noise and banding.

Any thoughts anyone?

Associate
I've just been through the 6D Mark II dilemma when looking to upgrade my 6D1. Although it improved on the original 6D in every area I wanted (except IQ) it was just too much money compared to other cameras. If the price was lower I would have given it more consideration but for very similar money you can buy a Nikon D810 or a D750 for £500 less, which both get you way more camera for the money. It's a shame because the original 6D was great for the money.

Soldato
I've just been through the 6D Mark II dilemma when looking to upgrade my 6D1. Although it improved on the original 6D in every area I wanted (except IQ) it was just too much money compared to other cameras. If the price was lower I would have given it more consideration but for very similar money you can buy a Nikon D810 or a D750 for £500 less, which both get you way more camera for the money. It's a shame because the original 6D was great for the money.

I was all set for the 6DII but now I'm unsure, IQ is key for me.

Given I have to sell all but my 70-200 F4LIS, which I might sell anyway, means that I could go Nikon...

Might get a 5DIII instead...

I think I'll wait for the DXOMark tests before deciding.

Soldato
Check out a A7mk2 and grab lenses of your choosing or get a D750

Associate
Check out a A7mk2 and grab lenses of your choosing or get a D750

Already picked up a D810. I've used the Sony's before and aside from the battery life and lack of native f/1.4 lenses they currently exhibit a star eating issue during long exposures which is no good for astrophotography, or so I've read!

Associate
I'm not really interested in having to fork out another 3/400 for an adapter but that aside the main reason for not going Sony is the star eating issue I mentioned. Apparently Sony's noise reduction algorithm in the latest firmware will remove stars from any exposures of 4 seconds, so not ideal for astro! With Canon body pricing I was left with Nikon, couldn't be happier so far.

Soldato
The DPReview review is quite negative and they didn't even give it any sort of award:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-review

Conclusion
Pros
  • Updated 26MP sensor with good high ISO performance
  • Pleasing JPEG color
  • Generally good ergonomics and controls
  • Effective Dual Pixel autofocus
  • Polished touchscreen operation with fully articulated touchscreen
  • Weather-sealed
  • 6.5 fps burst shooting through optical viewfinder
  • Updated autofocus system
  • Wi-Fi with NFC and GPS
  • Effective video stabilization system
Cons
  • Less low ISO dynamic range than even crop-sensor competitors
  • Limited autofocus spread in optical viewfinder
  • Viewfinder autofocus system accuracy lags behind competition
  • Very slow burst shooting with autofocus in live view
  • 1080/60p video is soft and lacks detail
  • Lacking headphone port
  • Rear control dial is mushy and imprecise#
The final word
After five long years, the 6D Mark II has some big shoes to fill. The original 6D had it a little easier, with a less mature market willing to forgive its shortcomings somewhat in favor of a full frame sensor in a well-priced body. But things have changed a bit since then.

It's true that nearly every objective specification of the 6D Mark II has been improved upon when compared with its predecessor, while the release price has remained the same. Unfortunately, unless you're a die-hard Canon user with an investment in glass and you just need an affordable backup body, it's difficult to look past all that competing cameras have to offer.

For the same price, Nikon's D750 offers nearly the same resolution, loads more dynamic range and a far more sophisticated autofocus system. Same goes for the Sony a7 II, though that camera is even cheaper. The Pentax K-1 is an incredible value and gives you even better build quality, unique and innovative features like Pixel Shift, and far more resolution. The only thing that makes the EOS 6D II stand out is Dual Pixel AF, which turns out is only of real value in this camera when shooting single shots of slow-moving subjects or HD video.

Let's be clear: The EOS 6D Mark II is, like so many other cameras, capable of outstanding images in the right hands. But even considering all the traditional Canon bonuses like great color, ease of use for video capture and comprehensive lens ecosystem, the 6D II falls too far short for us to recommend it over the competition, and therefore it doesn't merit our highest awards.

Back
Top Bottom