Oculus Rift

Associate
Speaking of mulitplayer games, Played almost two of hours Of Eleven: Table Tennis VR against RockSteddie last night. It really doesn't feel like VR, it amazing how close to the real game it actually is. I love Table Tennis but there is nobody near me who plays, so it's fantastic to be able to play against some guy in another country :) Very Competitive games too, RockSteddie is pretty damn good!! I am ashamed to say that I took unfair advantage of the fact that because of the Rift cable he wasn't able to return properly on his backhand side. :p I'm a win at all costs kinda guy :D

Close games and good fun :) All we needed was some beer. IF anyone else wants a game sometime I would be up for it.

Thanks for the games Melmac, it was indeed great fun. I thought I started off really well but I think you were leading me in to a false sense of security as my winning streak was halted and reversed rather quickly, especially when you discovered my Achilles heel :D
Definitely up for some more games so any time you fancy a re-match let me know? Also anyone else who wants a game feel free to add me, I'm on most nights from 9pm usually.

Soldato
Does anyone else get a noticeable amount of judder on the ball?

Just grabbed the game and it does it no matter what settings I use.
I also can't seem to rotate the bat into a comfortable position.

Associate

I don't have any judder on the ball so I'm not sure what is going on with your set-up.

To edit the way you grip the paddle you need to go in to the settings menu and then it should allow you to remap the position of the paddle via the grip button (if my memory serves me correctly).

Soldato

Don't have any judder problems at all. Have you your SS settings too high maybe?

I take it that you know how to rotate the handle by going into the settings and pressing the right grip? And it does take a little bit of playing with to get it just right.

Associate
Well got mine delivered last night set it up this morning and before I knew it it was 5pm ha! Not had this much fun with gaming for a long time.

As others mentioned Google earth and that robot game is amazing but one thing that blew my mind was the demo with the Rex walking over the top of me. I do hope they release more games that have a bit of substance. ED is good but only had a Xbox controller so I still needed some keyboard bindings which was a pain

One thing though I struggled with was using Steam VR. the board wouldn't line up where I was sitting and running games wasn't as easy as it was with the rift page.

Soldato
Everything seems to be working now... I've in a very very small space so getting the two sensors happy with how close I am to them was a pain.

Is it best to have them at the same height?

I've got one about 40cm higher and 15cm further back than the other!?

Associate
Everything seems to be working now... I've in a very very small space so getting the two sensors happy with how close I am to them was a pain.

Is it best to have them at the same height?

I've got one about 40cm higher and 15cm further back than the other!?

I don't think it matters that they're not at the same height, just try to make sure they're not too close to your controllers if that's possible at all, minimum of about 2 feet. Can always mount them higher to increase that distance if needed?

Soldato
OK! Some help...

While playing some demos, eg: Toybox, the desk infront of you in VR is too far forwards in my space in my study. ie: If I reach beyond the very front things on the VR desk, I'm then going beyond my playing space, and into/onto my real desk.

Is there a way to adjust the VR play space so it's placed further back in my office space?

Soldato
OH! And the Oculus program is recommending I install Fresco USB drivers, I assume for my Inateck 4 port USB 3 PCI-E card? Wise? Anyone else done this? I assume I'm on Microsoft driver then for it?

Associate
You can reset the current application view which might help. Hit the Oculus button on the remote (if you have it), xbox button (on a controller), or Oculus button on the touch controller, and choose the 2nd icon from the top on the right to reset the view. You might have to step back as far as you can for example to bring that desk a bit more forward in the game or application.

Fresco drivers you don't need if you are on Windows 10. If you do install them then I'd highly recommend to also install Oculus Tray Tool as it does some tweaks to help prevent disconnects with these drivers.

Caporegime
OK so I had a play around with the sensor location and fooled the system into thinking
It's not really the sensors, it's the play area I have in front of my desk.

VERY basic room plan:

The stair indent has a flat top but it's about 2 1.2 feet tall. My back is to the door when I sit so as you can see, not a huge amount fo space. I was thinking of getting a piece of worktop and putting it on the right side.

The Stars are the sensor locations, I've had to sit one on top of the PC! qgu5fbN.png

OK so I had a play around with the sensor location and fooled the system into thinking I was facing my monitor when actually I was facing more towards the corner to the right of the PC. The left sensor is still in the same position but I mounted the right sensor in the corner where there's a windowsill and it works much better. Still not ideal but workable although I need to stand rather than sit. This gave me more room on my left and the stair indent is open at the top so I could move my arms much more freely. There's a lightshade directly above my right shoulder too which got a bit of a battering playing Robo Recall but it was ACE! Really immersive and to begin with there was a little bit of SDE but that went away within a minute or so and I got immersed into the game! Anything else free to play that is worth a go?

Really good fun though!

Soldato
So question,

If I move one/both of the sensors, even a fraction of a cm, do I then need to reconfigure the sensors all over again?

And if so, is there a quicker way than going thru:-
- Putting a controller at head height.
- Ensuring the sensors can see teh controller.
- Drawing out the entire save zone all over again.

Where my sensors are they risk being moved, nudged at times...

L33

L33

Permabanned
OK so I had a play around with the sensor location and fooled the system into thinking I was facing my monitor when actually I was facing more towards the corner to the right of the PC. The left sensor is still in the same position but I mounted the right sensor in the corner where there's a windowsill and it works much better. Still not ideal but workable although I need to stand rather than sit. This gave me more room on my left and the stair indent is open at the top so I could move my arms much more freely. There's a lightshade directly above my right shoulder too which got a bit of a battering playing Robo Recall but it was ACE! Really immersive and to begin with there was a little bit of SDE but that went away within a minute or so and I got immersed into the game! Anything else free to play that is worth a go?

Really good fun though!
I had to do something similar. My PC room is large enough but I have a corner desk, so when marking the area and then aiming at the PC to 'confirm' both oculus and steamvr try and place the playable rectangle at a 45 degree angle making it much smaller. If I point straight at the wall to the right of the desk they're both happy. It really makes no difference so I don't know why they do this, as you can reorient which way forward is for any sitting games.

There is a good list of free content here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/new_user_guide#wiki_best_free_content I'm not sure how exhaustive it is, but a few to try at least. Budget cuts and accounting are supposedly excellent.

I recently made this journey from the DK2. To manage expectations, don't expect to be blown away by the improvement in the image quality (although the CV1 is better). What really makes it worth the jump is seeing your hands come to life in VR via the Touch controllers.
As you said, touch is the biggest difference :) Honestly if I could, I'd use the DK2 headset with the touch controllers. While the CV1 has marginally better image quality, less SDE and inbuilt headphones, god rays are now a thing and it is significantly less comfortable for me as a glasses wearer - it pushes the nosepads hard into the bridge of my nose to the point where it is painful after 20 minutes, a problem I didn't have at all with the DK2. Looks like i'll have to consider having lenses made for the rift as this really ruins the experience.
I haven't had this issue with the DK1, DK2, either of the GearVR headsets I have nor with a friends vive.

Soldato
So question,

If I move one/both of the sensors, even a fraction of a cm, do I then need to reconfigure the sensors all over again?

And if so, is there a quicker way than going thru:-
- Putting a controller at head height.
- Ensuring the sensors can see teh controller.
- Drawing out the entire save zone all over again.

Where my sensors are they risk being moved, nudged at times...

It can deal with a little bit of movement. Though you will find your guardian is likely to move a little at the same time. If you move them too far it might get a bit weird and you should do setup again.
Lateral movement is better than rotational. The worst thing is if you tilt them after setting up because then it goes a bit crazy as it switches between sensors.

I recommend downloading the Guardian Boundary Editor (remember to run as administrator) then you can make your boundary nice and straight and if you need to adjust it you can select all the points and move them

Associate
It can deal with a little bit of movement. Though you will find your guardian is likely to move a little at the same time. If you move them too far it might get a bit weird and you should do setup again.
Lateral movement is better than rotational. The worst thing is if you tilt them after setting up because then it goes a bit crazy as it switches between sensors.

I recommend downloading the Guardian Boundary Editor (remember to run as administrator) then you can make your boundary nice and straight and if you need to adjust it you can select all the points and move them
Didn't realise this existed. Saved. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom