xps 13.3" or xps 15.6"

Soldato
Hi there,

I have a budget of around £1100 / £1200 for a new work laptop

I will use it for:

- some development work i.e. Visual Studio / Netbeans
- others apps I will use are dreamweaver, photoshop and ms office suite.

I was looking at the xps 13.3" 9360 or xps 15.6" but cannot decide between the two.

Not sure how much extra weight the 15.6" will come into effect on a daily basis whilst carrying it around. Ideally I will connect it to second monitor as well

What would you go for?

Thanks

Associate
I've got the xps 13 9360 and really can't fault it. I guess for you it comes down to what's more important weight or screen size. If you buy the extra adapter both of them can run 3 X 4k monitors.

Associate
Absolutely love my XPS 13 9360. For portability its absolutely great but when it comes to more demanding tasks, struggles in that aspect.
But for me XPS 15 is too big, but it does have the horsepower to back it up, heck you can even game on it!
Also to get a decently specced XPS 15, you're gonna have to push your budget up a little. £1k to 1.2K is XPS 13 range.

Associate
15 has the "proper" CPU and 13 has a low-voltage model. I couldn't see myself living with 8GB RAM for day to day work either. Like others have mentioned, the 15 is the class above so not really the same price bracket.

Depends how much you're on the road really, the devices themselves are lovely though.

Soldato
OP
thanks for your replies

I went into the purple turtle earlier this afternoon and as some of you have mentioned it was before I even read your replies that for me despite the 13.3" being great the keys were too small for my fingers and I do not even have thick fingers. This is in comparison to the 15". I did not feel that much difference in weight either.

I was thinking of going for the xps 15" £1399 from their website, do you think I will regret it being 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor 2.5ghz ? instead of the i7 which has a 2.8ghz processor?

Also can the 1tb be upgraded at a later date with a samsung evo ssd? i dont know the insides of these machines so thought i would ask if someone has already done that? same with the RAM can I upgrade that? is the hdd and ram upgradeable?

thanks for your help

Associate
thanks for your replies

I went into the purple turtle earlier this afternoon and as some of you have mentioned it was before I even read your replies that for me despite the 13.3" being great the keys were too small for my fingers and I do not even have thick fingers. This is in comparison to the 15". I did not feel that much difference in weight either.

I was thinking of going for the xps 15" £1399 from their website, do you think I will regret it being 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor 2.5ghz ? instead of the i7 which has a 2.8ghz processor?

Also can the 1tb be upgraded at a later date with a samsung evo ssd? i dont know the insides of these machines so thought i would ask if someone has already done that? same with the RAM can I upgrade that? is the hdd and ram upgradeable?

thanks for your help
Almost everything that you could possibly want to upgrade on the XPS 15 is upgradable!
Seen as though on the XPS 15 they are real quad cores and even the i7 has hyperthreading, I would personally go the extra mile and get the i7.
The £1399 XPS 15 comes with the 1TB mechanical drive you mentioned, yes it can be opened, taken out and changed to an SSD no problem. HOWEVER, if you get this option, with teh 2.5" slow inside, you are shooting yourself as you will get a smaller battery.

RAM, M.2, Wireless card, 2.5" slot... changeable!

Man of Honour
Keep in mind the battery life on the 15 quad core may be significantly less than the 13 low voltage dual cores. Is this a factor?

Associate
Keep in mind the battery life on the 15 quad core may be significantly less than the 13 low voltage dual cores. Is this a factor?
Actually no, cause there is a much bigger battery on the XPS 15 than XPS 13. It's literally as close to the legal limit as you can get on the XPS 15

Soldato
OP
thanks for all your help and replies, I went for the 15.6" 512gb ssd version in the end although its a bit more then £1250 I got a discount from their website

cheers appreciate the help and support

Back
Top Bottom