Blame on both sides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Does anyone know of a UK equivalent to the commentator Ben Shapiro? He seems to be one of the only sane voices coming out of the US at the moment.

I heard him on the Joe Rogan podcast recently and started following him on YouTube.

Soldato
Guys in black? Hard to say without seeing more but it looks like one guy in black beating him up and another guy who's about to stop him. Not sure what the third guy is up to.

Yeah, it does look like that guy might be trying to stop him, it's from a old rally, so am trying to find the full video, if I find it, I will post the full version.

Soldato
My take on it is this. Both sides were at fault for the violence that occurred on the day. Whether than is a 50:50 or a 60:40 or whatever, we don't know and never will. But there is enough video evidence to see that both sides behaved badly and contributed to violence in the streets.

That seems about clear as fact, and should not be overlooked. Donald Trump has taken it upon himself to highlight this, which IMO he is right to do.

However, this fact, or stating it, does not in any way come close to defining a moral equivalence to both sides. What did do that, was the absence of Trump condemning in the strongest terms, the activities of white supremacist and Nazi followers.

Both sides were at fault for the violence. But that isn't the big issue. The big issue is that white supremacy is on the rise. And that's what needed to be condemned immediately, and it wasn't.

Soldato
This gif below isn't from the same protest, but a normal pro Trump rally, the guys in black are ANTIFA beating up a 80+ year old man.

http://i.imgur.com/EesNvOQ.gifv
But he must have provoked the lefties, just like you have accused antifa of provoking the Nazis yes? Even though they deliberatley deviated on their routes to ensure that they came up against the antifa protestors?
By all means criticise the anti fascists (they are a bunch of idiots on the whole) but don't bring your rank hypocrisy in here and assume that the poor Nazis must have been provoked while an attack on a trump supporter must have been unprovoked.

I have no problem with people standing up to Nazis with violence if necessary, just don't try and claim the moral high ground.

Soldato
When DO you attempt to stamp it out, if not straight away. Do we wait until the ethnic cleansing starts again?

What about at School? :D You know, get them when they are young. History was my favourite class and subject at school. I did pretty well back then.

I don't know what school is like these days, but it seems to be working better over here then it does over in America.

The old saying, history repeats itself because we don't learn from it is very true, the fact that people want to tear down statues screams to me that we not learning. They should remain so we are reminded of our mistakes.

Soldato
I have understood it, I'm just saying you can't interpret that phrase as meaning anything in isolation. Yes, you get many voices in protest marches, so they could have been for or against any number of things, but that phrase on its own is borderline meaningless.

Don't forget, it was the look of them as well she didn't like.....

Soldato
Does anyone know of a UK equivalent to the commentator Ben Shapiro? He seems to be one of the only sane voices coming out of the US at the moment.

I heard him on the Joe Rogan podcast recently and started following him on YouTube.

If you find someone, please let me know. Ben is literally the only logical person i know, outside of "sometimes" Dinesh D'Souza. Dinesh is a bit harder to appreciate, but he is great at making the audience think about what they are asking.

Soldato
Try to get rid of him, protest against him, write articles against him, watch his popularity plummet...

Protest, peacefully. Write your congressman. Attend rallies.

Even if he doesn't go you might be able to force his hand on specific issues. Trump isn't exactly in a strong position. He has enemies everywhere, even in the Republican party. Perhaps they might get the message, rather than continuing to support a president who is dragging the reputation of their party through the mud.

Or face the less attractive possibility that the US is still a deeply racist country, and enough people support Trump to keep him in power, saying what he likes. In that case, not much you can do, apart from fight grass roots level campaigns and involve yourself in shaping the attitude of future generations. Which takes time.

Well, there are times when violence is necessary and justified *shrug*

And democracy isn't always about the will of the people, just look at capital punishment in this country, the public have been generally for it in the majority for long periods of time, but thankfully the ruling parties haven't been.

Man of Honour
What agenda and who sets the agenda? Are you just rambling yet another conspiracy theory?

Almost every important Republican made a clear statement after the event and condemned racism and white supremacists. Trump didn't, that's why the media is on him, he deserves it. The media are doing their job.
Your anger clouds your argument.

I concur with your point about what he didn't that he should have done. It is clearly in my post, so let's park that...

The other point was about the general media approach to which i exampled with a couple of elements. A video and a statement about how the BBC position Trump.

Conspiracy theories are not something I have ever spent much time on, same as shouty people who like to be part of a crowd for whatever reason. If I see wrong in both sides I will highlight it, not just blindly chose 'my man' something Trump is emphatically not by the way but your silly conspiracy theory shows only your naivety or lack of life experience.

Caporegime
Geez is anyone really surprised that Trump had pretty much done a u turn on his earlier statement regarding the violence at the Charlottesville protest??

I am not at all surprised by his u turn lol. Blame the media, blame whoever the hell you want but it's so evident to see that Trump is a complete and utter clown.

The sooner the republicans ditch him the better, in 7 mths since he has taken over the Presidency he has desecrated the office with the utterly stupid things he tweets and says. He has not in any way, shape or form made America or even close to being great again.

Yet another among many other election promises he has gone back on.

If anything he will go down as one of the worst, if not the worst President ever.

Remember kids, don't vote for a to celebrity. It rarely ever works out lol.

Caporegime
It's worked perfectly, a lot of ex Republican's and perhaps not strangely current senators and congressfolk have their fingers in the security industry pie, this event has just increased their probable profits from a (rather ironic future for apparent Republicans) authoritarian/totalitarian police state.

Soldato
Yeah, getting in the way of a rapidly moving car. Disgraceful.

Well to be fair, they was on a road which wasn't blocked off and they shouldn't be using. The irony is that they are also blocking and slowing help coming like the ambulances and police.

Just how them anti-trump protesters crossed a busy motorway at night and got hit by one of the cars a while ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom