The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
Its still 24mm (38mm crop), yet because its prime it makes sense, and the narrow tunnel comment you made doesnt apply?!

Yes :confused:

A prime makes you think about composition, allows you to experiment with DoF, and is usually much much lighter and inconspicuous compared to a 670g 38-168mm equiv F4 zoom lens. It's also easily changed when need be.

I wouldn't take only a 24mm prime on holiday as a walkabout lens on APS-C though. Maybe I would for a city break, but even then I'd probably want something wider too such as a general purpose zoom or a ultra wide angle zoom. I just don't see the point in buying a FF zoom like the 24-105L to only use on a crop camera. It's heavier than it needs to be, costs more than a sensible lens would, and isn't all that useful in terms of focal length.

When I had my old Sony APS-C setup my main lens was an old Minolta 24-85, so 35-127mm equivalent and I took it on holiday and it was nowhere near wide enough. I spent the entire time wishing I'd brought something wider. But it was cheap and weighed nothing.

I can see this is just going to go round in circles. My initial point was to offer a different view on the recommendations from people to use full frame designed lenses only on APS-C cameras. I think that's a bad recommendation and I think people with APS-C cameras will be happier in the long run buying APS-C designed lenses which are usually smaller, lighter and cheaper or FF lenses that also make sense on crop cameras (such as fast primes, telephoto zooms, etc).

I shan't say any more.

Last edited:
Associate
As the title of this thread suggests. It's about willy waving.

One of the reasons I will never post about my gear.

I simply don't have a big enough budget to compete.

(I'm really quite happy with my 16-50 kit lens on a A6000)

Toad_of_Lilly_Hall.jpg

Associate
The debate regarding APSC, prime v ff lens, what is good walk about lens, zoom ir not was interesting to read to get other people's perspective.
Though a separate thread might be a good idea for this.
I will post some pictures of a few DIY builds on here. Though technically it is new it will not be brand named product. As othets have mentioned the price of some lighting accessories are just ridiculous !

Associate
Have been looking to upgrade my 6D for a while, I use it for landscape/astro work mainly but with the 5DIV being so expensive and the 6D II being the same price if not more I decided to go for a Nikon D810 with a couple of lenses. Also have a new editing setup coming tomorrow. Have previously owned a D800 and the files were a joy to work with so pretty pleased.

Soldato
Have been looking to upgrade my 6D for a while, I use it for landscape/astro work mainly but with the 5DIV being so expensive and the 6D II being the same price if not more I decided to go for a Nikon D810 with a couple of lenses. Also have a new editing setup coming tomorrow. Have previously owned a D800 and the files were a joy to work with so pretty pleased.

Enjoy, the D810 is an amazing camera.. it's getting on a bit but still hard to beat in many things.

Associate
Enjoy, the D810 is an amazing camera.. it's getting on a bit but still hard to beat in many things.

Yeah, it was definitely the most bang for buck, especially with the rumours the D850 will cost more than the 5D4. I also picked up the Sigma 24mm 1.4 and the Nikon 50mm 1.8 which should cover most things I want to photograph.

Associate

The shutter on the D810 is so nice, it sounds so much quieter and dampened. It doesn't seem like a huge step up from the D800/800E but all the little changes (the new grip, added video features) Nikon made really add up. Might go for one depending on how the D850 turns out.

Soldato
36313549822_eee90c4c37_c.jpg

I bought this instead of the Spider Clip because it was cheaper and more versatile in that it can also be used on backpack straps while the Spider needs an extra converter. I'll be carrying it on my belt.
We're off to New York shortly and I felt it would be easier to carry around my m4/3 body/lens instead of Black Rapid strap or shoulder bag like last time. Also it will make a second body more accessible when I'm in the field with long prime on my main body on the BR strap.
Excellent delivery from Wex, free delivery (3-5 days), came within 24 hours.

Associate
The shutter on the D810 is so nice, it sounds so much quieter and dampened. It doesn't seem like a huge step up from the D800/800E but all the little changes (the new grip, added video features) Nikon made really add up. Might go for one depending on how the D850 turns out.

It sounds like a silenced pistol in comparison to most other DSLRs I've shot with, very nice.

Associate
36313549822_eee90c4c37_c.jpg

I bought this instead of the Spider Clip because it was cheaper and more versatile in that it can also be used on backpack straps while the Spider needs an extra converter. I'll be carrying it on my belt.
We're off to New York shortly and I felt it would be easier to carry around my m4/3 body/lens instead of Black Rapid strap or shoulder bag like last time. Also it will make a second body more accessible when I'm in the field with long prime on my main body on the BR strap.
Excellent delivery from Wex, free delivery (3-5 days), came within 24 hours.

I have been tempted to get one of these clamps for a while now. I do like the Peak Design click and slide button tags as well.

Back
Top Bottom