• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
I already have ideas about which fan to use, I'm more curious/clueless on how to do it as the fan cable is bundled with the cooling tubes and the connector is not visible/accessible.

You'd be voiding the warranty, I'd see if you get used to it over the next few days before modding it.

Associate
Can't say I've noticed the noise myself - the only thing bothering my with the card is that they put the tubing on the front of it - as I keep banging on about - but I mean who thought that was the best place for it?

No pump whine here either.

Agree with the tubing, the positioning and their length is just ridiculous and unpractical. I can't believe qualified engineers designed this and all agreed it was a great idea... :rolleyes:

Regarding the fan noise maybe it stands out more for me because the rest of my setup is on watercoolefand focus for my PC in general is silence.

Soldato
I've got the water cooled model, I've also had several no signal crashes where I've had to reboot the PC. I'll order a new psu tomorrow.

How old is the PSU? I can't see your PSU been the problem unless it's more than 5 years old.

Have you tried Swapping PCIe slots?

Updated your motherboard bios?

There are 4 graphic card power connectors on that PSU, can you try the other two?

Sorry if these are very basic tips and you have tried them already.

Soldato
Which is funny. Remember it was all the marketing for dual cards. How great it was to be. Well partially it once was.

Then all the faffing about arrived. Tinkering and tweaking and disabling through profiles. As well as some developers simply not supporting it.

Funny how 3D TVs and dual cards have things in common. Came back several times and died.

yep indeed.

How i felt again after disabling my 2nd card :D

Yep, I did the same with my 390 crossfire for the last 8-12 months, just got fed up with crossfire performance. You're ok, at least you had a Furyx to use single, having a 390 was painful at times.

i can honestly say im am genuinely impressed by this card, maxed out at 80c in benchmarking and in all honesty the fan noise wasnt enough for me to complain about.

7103 on timespy without any tweaking. Will have a proper fondle tomorrow.

Same here to be honest and I've not even got mine in my water loop yet. Got myself a 7609 in Timespy earlier running at 1632 core and 1000hbm.

+1

Was struggling to play with max details on my Fury at 2560x1440 now everything runs perfectly in the high 80-90fps all maxed out :cool:

Yeah no doubt. I played with the cap set to 144hz and was getting like 120fps out in the sticks. Then looked at temps and thought, hmmmm 84c is a wee bit to hot for me, I'll cap it to 72fps in menu, it still feels incredible at 72fps.

I know exactly how you feel - when I got my new system last year I originally had 390Xs in crossfire - I lasted for 10 days which were filled with pure disappointment and anguish - luckily OCUK allowed me to return them and replaced them with a Fury X. Never felt so let down as I did with Crossfire.

Crossfire used to be amazing, and I truly mean that, none of this fanboy crap. 2 or 3 years ago, I had 7950 was tearing the 780ti to pieces in every single game, everything just worked perfectly right out the box for me. Then just slowly went down hill.

Last edited:
Permabanned
How old is the PSU? I can't see your PSU been the problem unless it's more than 5 years old.

It is about 5 years old, I had to pull it out of retirement as the newer one was only 650 watts. It was a good psu but only a bronze rated one, It's a Corsair TX 850, It's never skipped a beat before, I only replaced it because I wanted a modular one.

I changed the power setting to Power save in Wattman and spent an hour in game with no problems so I think you're right, I'll have to order another psu and spend time with the card before the two week period runs out to make sure it's not an issue with the card.

Have you tried Swapping PCIe slots?

Updated your motherboard bios?

There are 4 graphic card power connectors on that PSU, can you try the other two?

Sorry if these are very basic tips and you have tried them already.

My mb bio's is up to date but I'll try the other cables and slots in the morning, Good thinking cheers.

Associate
Agree with the tubing, the positioning and their length is just ridiculous and unpractical. I can't believe qualified engineers designed this and all agreed it was a great idea... :rolleyes:

Regarding the fan noise maybe it stands out more for me because the rest of my setup is on watercoolefand focus for my PC in general is silence.

As much as I really liked the look and idea of the AIO version, I did wonder about whether that radiator (120mm wide, 60mm thick?) was going to be enough for quiet cooling under high load. With the AIO V64's TDP figures I'd have preferred a dual 120mm (i.e. 240mm) radiator instead, but I understand why AMD would have kept to a single as it has a much broader compatibility. I think that's also the reason for the hose length and exit position, as it maximises the reaching a suitable chassis mounting position. As with any non-trivial product, there are compromises; the tidiness of routing the fan cable down the sleeved tubing makes it neat, but also hinders one from swapping the fan out for another model. The ease, convenience and compactness of AIO water cooling is good, but there are constraints on radiator sizing, hose lengths etc.

I'm upgrading soon from an ancient Phenom II to a Ryzen 7, so even though I can reuse my AIO CPU cooler (nice and quiet with a Noctua NF-F12 on it!) I decided to bite the bullet and build a full custom water loop for both CPU and GPU. It's not cheaper overall (building a new loop, and adding a FC waterblock to an air V64), but I get to design and spec it to get the silence I want. It's probably not an option for you now, but you should be able to undervolt a fair bit to reign in power without hurting actual performance much.

Associate
It is about 5 years old, I had to pull it out of retirement as the newer one was only 650 watts. It was a good psu but only a bronze rated one, It's a Corsair TX 850, It's never skipped a beat before, I only replaced it because I wanted a modular one.

I changed the power setting to Power save in Wattman and spent an hour in game with no problems so I think you're right, I'll have to order another psu and spend time with the card before the two week period runs out to make sure it's not an issue with the card.

I see melmac's given you good suggestions for diagnosing your problem; with that PSU's specs I wouldn't expect any issues, but it's not impossible that your unit is marginal on quality (with power problems only manifesting at higher loads); I did see in jonnyguru's review that his sample had loose heatsink screws for example.

Soldato
Well I should hopefully be added to the owners list on Friday. Just ordered an MSI Vega 64 Air, paid a bit over the odds but shall get the VAT back, will make a bit of use of the compute side and will make use of the 2 free games as well so I was able to justify it. Was looking at 1080Ti's but fancied something a bit newer and as will only be at 1440p and am semi-looking for another monitor it will be nice to have the option of Freesync. Wasn't quick enough Monday but have been needing a new computer for 'work' so this with the rest of my order, Ryzen 1700, MSI Tomahawk B350, 16GB of 8pack 3200, Superflower 750w Gold, 500GB Samsung SSD all packed into a Fractal Define C case should serve me quite well!

Soldato
My mb bio's is up to date but I'll try the other cables and slots in the morning, Good thinking cheers.

The reason I asked the age is that Version 1 of those PSU's were buggy under loads. Can I ask what PSU is the 650w? It might actually be a better PSU than the 850 one :)

If you need a new one, I wouldn't go overboard, a good quality 750/850W one will be fine. There are two Superflower PSU's that are modular available here. One is £129 and the other is £132. They are both really good. You don't need to spend £200 :)

Associate
The reason I asked the age is that Version 1 of those PSU's were buggy under loads. Can I ask what PSU is the 650w? It might actually be a better PSU than the 850 one :)

If you need a new one, I wouldn't go overboard, a good quality 750/850W one will be fine. There are two Superflower PSU's that are modular available here. One is £129 and the other is £132. They are both really good. You don't need to spend £200 :)

There's also a Seasonic Focus Plus 750W for £110 here; looks nice and compact, 80+ Gold, fully modular, 10 year warranty too.

Man of Honour
OP
This one is mine,
SHgjGc8.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.
k0HZfc3.png

Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, mattyc123, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference Air, WhistleBlower07, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Chewie, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, nashathedog, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, heartburnron, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference Air, vanpeebles, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Morve, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Howling, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Apache14, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Dianbobo, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, ubersonic, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, AMDMatt, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, TonyTurbo78, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, MDPlatts, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Vega 64.

Associate
Mine arrived yesterday:

DSC_0303.jpg

.... now to patiently wait until I can install it....

Man of Honour
OP
Mine arrived yesterday:

DSC_0303.jpg

.... now to patiently wait until I can install it....

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.
k0HZfc3.png

Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, ChosenName, Link
Date 17/08/2017, Make Reference Air, mattyc123, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference Air, WhistleBlower07, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Chewie, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, nashathedog, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, heartburnron, Link
Date 16/08/2017, Make Reference Air, vanpeebles, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Morve, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Howling, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Apache14, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, Dianbobo, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, ubersonic, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, AMDMatt, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference Air, TonyTurbo78, Link
Date 15/08/2017, Make Reference AIO, MDPlatts, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Vega 64.

Back
Top Bottom