What to do in Japan for 2 weeks?

Soldato
Thanks again for the tip, I have signed up to Revolut now, did you get a physical card? You must have as you said you withdrawn money from it. How does it work? like a top up card through your current account and then withdraw it from your Revolut?

Thanks for the tip too regarding the Ferry. I think I will just buy a 7 day JR pass, my travels is basically Monday (Leave Fukuoka) to Sunday (arrive in Tokyo).

p.s. poo ice cream, actually, don't tell me....would make a surprise...but what is the store I get it from?

When you install the Revolut App there is an option to order a card, costs £5. It's just a balance card which you top up through your current account indeed, and when you withdraw cash from an ATM it will withdraw in local currency and you will get the best rate available at the time.

Poo ice cream you can buy from any of the shops that sell ice cream on Miyajima Island. When you get off the ferry you will head right and across the stream leading up to the water shrine, so across the road there are many alleyways which are full of shops, the corner ones are usually ice cream vendors.

Got some pics here of my trip to Japan:

https://goo.gl/photos/PJzMFz5BoN42we7F9

I'm going back again in 2020, we did Tokyo all the way down south to Yakushima in 3 weeks, in 2020 i'll do Tokyo all the way up north. I'm quite surprised we managed to do half the country in 3 weeks.

Oh and most places are drone friendly if you've got one. My friend brought his mavic pro with him it was awesome :)

Any more questions let me know!

Caporegime
OP
When you install the Revolut App there is an option to order a card, costs £5. It's just a balance card which you top up through your current account indeed, and when you withdraw cash from an ATM it will withdraw in local currency and you will get the best rate available at the time.

Poo ice cream you can buy from any of the shops that sell ice cream on Miyajima Island. When you get off the ferry you will head right and across the stream leading up to the water shrine, so across the road there are many alleyways which are full of shops, the corner ones are usually ice cream vendors.

I'm going back again in 2020, we did Tokyo all the way down south to Yakushima in 3 weeks, in 2020 i'll do Tokyo all the way up north. I'm quite surprised we managed to do half the country in 3 weeks.

Oh and most places are drone friendly if you've got one. My friend brought his mavic pro with him it was awesome :)

Thanks, I have ordered the card, cheaper rate to withdraw cash is always good :)

You have that photo of Miyajima that i want ! Which actually reminds me to bring a ND filter because of an effect that i want to do, I am hoping for good weather and a bit of snow on Mt Fuji.

btw, which side of the plane should I sit on when going to Tokyo to see Mt Fuji out the window and similarly, which side of the plane to sit on when flying to Fukuoka?

I would love a Mavic Pro but I don't think I can afford it at the moment, I need a new MBP more than a drone.

Soldato
Thanks, I have ordered the card, cheaper rate to withdraw cash is always good :)

You have that photo of Miyajima that i want ! Which actually reminds me to bring a ND filter because of an effect that i want to do, I am hoping for good weather and a bit of snow on Mt Fuji.

btw, which side of the plane should I sit on when going to Tokyo to see Mt Fuji out the window and similarly, which side of the plane to sit on when flying to Fukuoka?

I would love a Mavic Pro but I don't think I can afford it at the moment, I need a new MBP more than a drone.

I think any snow would have cleared up on Mt Fuji now as it's prime season for climbing, back in March/April we saw snow. My mate has a few drone videos heading towards Mt Fuji which I'm trying to get hold of from him!

Here's a hyperlapse video I done on my S7 Edge of Mt Fuji:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NKoaDm-LFc

We stayed at Kozantei Ubuya Ryokan at Lake Kawugichiko for this view :)

I'm not sure about the plane side mate, we arrived at 1am which in hindsight wasn't a good idea!

Flying to fukuoka? Take the bullet train :p

Caporegime
OP
I think any snow would have cleared up on Mt Fuji now as it's prime season for climbing, back in March/April we saw snow. My mate has a few drone videos heading towards Mt Fuji which I'm trying to get hold of from him!

Here's a hyperlapse video I done on my S7 Edge of Mt Fuji:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NKoaDm-LFc

We stayed at Kozantei Ubuya Ryokan at Lake Kawugichiko for this view :)

I'm not sure about the plane side mate, we arrived at 1am which in hindsight wasn't a good idea!

Flying to fukuoka? Take the bullet train :p

I am going in November…not prime climbing season lol

I am taking the Shinkansen up, i don't have time to train down and train up really.

How long was the time lapse in real time?

Last edited:
Soldato

Dont forget the new life sized (unicorn) gundam!

I went to japan back in 2014 by myself for 3 weeks (first holiday in 11 years) but mainly stayed in Koyto, Nara and Tokyo, still so much to see and do though.

I did go back for 4 nights in april for a wedding, i fault I told a mate who moved out there that he was a idoit for dumping his now wife after meeting her. The wedding was during cherry blossom season so everything was mega expensive hence the short trip.

I to plan to go back in 2020 but for the games hopefully, and try and mark off a few of the things I didn't do in 2014 and see the new life size Gundam (Im a massive fan), as well as see my old western and Japanese friends again who live out there.

Caporegime
OP

I went to japan back in 2014 by myself for 3 weeks (first holiday in 11 years) but mainly stayed in Koyto, Nara and Tokyo, still so much to see and do though.

I did go back for 4 nights in april for a wedding, i fault I told a mate who moved out there that he was a idoit for dumping his now wife after meeting her. The wedding was during cherry blossom season so everything was mega expensive hence the short trip.

I to plan to go back in 2020 but for the games hopefully, and try and mark off a few of the things I didn't do in 2014 and see the new life size Gundam (Im a massive fan), as well as see my old western and Japanese friends again who live out there.

I've decided to go to Nara for half a day when I'm in Kyoto, or head there on the way between Osaka to Kyoto...dunno yet. Crazy schedule in 2 weeks but I'm not sure when I'll be going back again. Next time I'm definitely doing it on a budget. This time almost all the rooms I've paid for are twin beds, it's cheaper than a double bed room. If I had travelled with someone my accommodation will be cut in half easily.

Soldato
I am going in November…not prime climbing season lol

I am taking the Shinkansen up, i don't have time to train down and train up really.

How long was the time lapse in real time?

About 5 hours in total I believe! Woke up at 5am and began the timelapse, was done about 10am after breakfast :)

There's a new life size gundam? Where abouts?!?

Associate
About 5 hours in total I believe! Woke up at 5am and began the timelapse, was done about 10am after breakfast :)

There's a new life size gundam? Where abouts?!?

They are building it in the same place as the last one (outside Diver City in Odaiba). It's supposed to be ready in the 'autumn'

Associate
If you're going to Hiroshima, you should check out Itsukushima shrine. It has a very large Tori gate in the sea and hiking up to the top was easily one of the best things I did in Japan. Hiroshima itself is a really wonderful city. One of my favourite places in Japan.

Associate
Very good choice my man. Don't puss out and take the cable car up the mountain. :p

Hiroshima obviously has the Atomic Dome museum which you should go to but another museum which I thought was amazing was the Hiroshima Museum of Art. Not sure if that's your thing but I loved it.

Finally, the boys and girls who worked at Guesthouse Roku were lovely and treated me very well. Obviously you should go eat Okonomiyaki as well.

Back
Top Bottom