• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
No problem :). Truly pants at mo :(.

A member has on OCN VEGA bios thread confirmed VEGA 64 AIR can be flashed to VEGA 56 AIR :( . SP don't lock, just like when I flash Fury X to Fury. AFAIK the locking table does not work on fully unlocked ASIC. So he can now enjoy lower base/boost/HBM clock and PL :p .

The OCN member who supplied RX VEGA 64 Liquid VBIOS it's incomplete, so I think that's why that failed to post on VEGA 64 AIR.

VEGA 64 AIR won't post on full VEGA FE AIR VBIOS either. VBIOS Device ID differ between VEGA FE AIR/AIO and RX VEGA 56/64/AIO, but RX VEGA all are same.

Same member also confirmed daisy chained PCI-E will trip PSU protection when PL increased via reg mod. So best to use separate PCI-E cables.

Please someone tell me that bios not being flashable from an air to a liquid bios is a training wheels idea so they dont get blown up like they did with ryzen and the massive temp offset. And is a restriction removed at a later date.

'rocks back and forth in the corner waiting for his ek waterblocked vega 64 to arrive'

Caporegime
What's the highest core/hbm overclocks that people have attained on Vega 64 AIO for long term stability, what voltage used, etc?

Disable Vega 64 VRM and Core voltage monitoring in HWINFO. Having them enabled causes stuttering when gaming and pauses while browsing.

In my testing of synthetics and games, HBCC (High Bandwidth Cache) consistently shows a performance increase vs having it disabled, even when not video memory limited.

Last edited:
Associate
What's the highest core/hbm overclocks that people have attained on Vega 64 AIO for long term stability, what voltage used, etc?

Disable Vega 64 VRM and Core voltage monitoring in HWINFO. Having them enabled causes stuttering when gaming and pauses while browsing.

In my testing of synthetics and games, HBCC (High Bandwidth Cache) consistently shows a performance increase vs having it disabled, even when not video memory limited.

If you supply everyone with working drivers I'm sure they will tell you :confused:

Associate
Been gaming on mine tonight, nothing heavy, just some path of exile. I capped the frame rate at 143fps as I have a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor, it's a blower model & totally stock on balanced profile but it didnt break a sweat and was totally silent. MASSIVE improvement over my reference 290 it replaced. Capping the framerate in this game it didnt even reach max clock speed :) 1400mhz or there abouts. I think the highest temp was 70c. This is with a Ryzen 1700 at 3.85 and some tight timing g.skill ram at 3333.

3dmark benchmarks are in line with everyone elses with a similar hardware setup, maybe a touch higher as I have really nice ram (on a cheap b350 board) so my scores are similar to the AIO scores at stock.

I'll have a play with overclocking it at some stage but im busy for a few days now so will have to wait until after then.

I've recently been playing PoE more and dx11 is finally great; haven't noticed any tearing above my fs range so a cap is OTT imo!

Associate

Random question, we know that infinity fabric speed on ryzen is based upon ram speed, now i have heard, dont know how true but hbcc right now isnt actually working as in using that additional memory, but vega also has infinity fabric upon it. So what im wondering is if what i have been told is true and its not actually using extra memory yet, could your ram speed be effecting the infinity fabric speed on vega when you have the hbcc toggle flipped ?

Soldato
I cant seem to get this itch out of my mind. Is it possible to run a Vega64 on my Seasonic 650W Gold PSU or its risky?

It is entirely possible to run a Vega 64 which uses 300-odd watts on a 650 watt psu.

The 300 watts left over is plenty for other system components.

However overclocking Vega 64 will cause it to use considerably more power and then it becomes risky.

Caporegime
I cant seem to get this itch out of my mind. Is it possible to run a Vega64 on my Seasonic 650W Gold PSU or its risky?
What CPU are you using?

Peak wattage for me overclocked on CPU+GPU with Vega 64 is 600W. Should be fine.

Random question, we know that infinity fabric speed on ryzen is based upon ram speed, now i have heard, dont know how true but hbcc right now isnt actually working as in using that additional memory, but vega also has infinity fabric upon it. So what im wondering is if what i have been told is true and its not actually using extra memory yet, could your ram speed be effecting the infinity fabric speed on vega when you have the hbcc toggle flipped ?
I've no idea.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Please someone tell me that bios not being flashable from an air to a liquid bios is a training wheels idea so they dont get blown up like they did with ryzen and the massive temp offset. And is a restriction removed at a later date.

Its nothing to do with AMD - its down to Intel designing the UEFI BIOS interface for improved security and speed of power up of servers/systems to take away all the IRQ/Interrupt hell we had before. Microsoft have something to do with it too since the O/S needs to know how to read it, but as its mainly implemented in hardware its Intel mostly.

Enterprise kit has used UEFI for the best part of 10 years and now like on your motherboards moved to UEFI over the last 3-4 years or so its coming to peripherals too now.

Its not going away any time soon - though as was seen with the FuryX which launched with a normal BIOS there was a UEFI version released later (which was more overclockable but that was probably down to code improvements than the interface) but whilst the motherboards still support "legacy" cards, I would doubt AMD would go backwards and remove it. Eventually motherboards will cease to support legacy mode but probably not for another 5+ years perhaps.

Someone out there may eventually provide a work-around but until then its life as it will increasingly become.

Associate
Same member also confirmed daisy chained PCI-E will trip PSU protection when PL increased via reg mod. So best to use separate PCI-E cables.
well that depends how the PSU measures the rails...

True, it was a heads up rather than full blown explanation, on hind sight I should have gone into more depth :p ; thank you for picking up the ball I dropped ;) .

I have used separate cables since Hawaii, as then loading is being spread over separate cables/connectors, HTH someone.

'rocks back and forth in the corner waiting for his ek waterblocked vega 64 to arrive'

It maybe possible, as soon as have a full VBIOS for AIO then will get it retested.

My Msi Vega 64 'Wave' AIO arrived yesterday.

https://ibb.co/c6vDSF

Sweet :D .

Any chance you can supply copy of both switch position VBIOS? grab AtiWinFlash v2.77 from this thread.

A member on OCN supplied incomplete copy, please make sure it's 256KB, cheers. A member who shared RX VEGA 64 AIR we have noted bios switch towards Display IO is higher PL and towards PCI-E is lower PL, VEGA FE also is this way, I would assume it is also the same for other VEGA cards.

Soldato

I've got a stable 1907 (+9%) core and 1075 hbm on my AOI - had a stable 14 hours using this for benchmarking, gaming, browsing, etc. Voltage control is still set to auto. I've just been using CPU-Z and Wattman to monitor the metrics when I've been tweaking, I assume that HWINFO is causing the issue and therefore you have to disable the VRM and Core voltage when using it and not that there is actual performance to be gained by specifically going in to HWINFO and disabling VRM and Core voltage?

Caporegime
I would not recommend touching HBM voltage for now, otherwise your HBM memory speed may get locked to 800Mhz. Switching to Power Saving and apply will restore correct speed. HWINFO64 will confirm if this happens, so use that tool to verify. I will add more information to this thread in due course.

Soldato
Anyone try witcher 3 with these launch drivers? I am getting about <50 fps @ 1080p. Review drivers reported +100fps
I'm getting an average of around 70 FPS with absolutely everything maxed at 3440x1440 - if I knock Nvidia Hairworks down from 8 to 4 it increases by 8-10 FPS. That's with an overclock of 1907/1075 but you should still be getting way more than 50 FPS at 1080p which suggests there is another issue somewhere, time to get the monitoring tool out and check your temps, CPU usage, etc...

Back
Top Bottom