• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
It was mentioned that someone was on the phone to them and they said there were 30 aio cards on launch day. Seen the post last night on here somewhere.

Ah ok, so hearsay. Remember OCUK sold thousands of cards on launch day, as confirmed by Gibbo, so 2 reported faulty cards (that we know of) is probably within the normal figures for complex electronics.

Caporegime
Ah ok, so hearsay. Remember OCUK sold thousands of cards on launch day, as confirmed by Gibbo, so 2 reported faulty cards (that we know of) is probably within the normal figures for complex electronics.

Possibly 3, just a bit odd they're the higher clocked liquid cooled versions. Also, they said they had about a thousand cards for launch which is a bit less than "thousands" :p (which i still find a dubious claim as they were out of stock in minutes despite limiting numbers).

Soldato
Possibly 3, just a bit odd they're the higher clocked liquid cooled versions. Also, they said they had about a thousand cards for launch which is a bit less than "thousands" :p (which i still find a dubious claim as they were out of stock in minutes despite limiting numbers).

No, Gibbo did not not say they had "about" a thousand, he said over.

Yes we have over 1000 of these boxes, no idea whats in them, but everyone seems uber excited and 8 Pack ran off with a load in his arms, screaming ELITE TIER. :D

Fact is there have been over a thousand cards sold at one retailer. I'd imagine hundreds of thousands worldwide. We'd know by now if Vega had high numbers of faulty cards, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Caporegime
No, Gibbo did not not say they had "about" a thousand, he said over.

Fact is there have been over a thousand cards sold at one retailer. I'd imagine hundreds of thousands worldwide. We'd know by now if Vega had high numbers of faulty cards, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Over a thousand still isn't "thousands" as you said, 1001 is over a thousand, still a long way off "thousands". As for the faulty cards, i just find it interesting its a few of the high clocked cards that have developed faults. Not saying there's some kind of problem with them, they're just harder to come by and the people waiting on replacements could be waiting a while. :)

Permabanned
Aw, that sucks. At least you know it was your card that's faulty. Perhaps the next one you get will be a silicon lottery winner!

Oh man, that's a pain. Is there any chance you could try it in a different computer before you send it back?

I've only one got the one and don't know any gamers locally.

That sucks nasha :(

We'll get new cards one day. :)

2 duds in a batch of around 30, (yours and matts), gonna be a pain in the ass waiting on replacement.

Jeeze you've been through the wringer trying to get your Vega! I'd be close to tears if I've been through what you have! You're luck has to change from here though...

Are you using two separate power cables from your PSU to each of the two 8pin PCI-E power connectors on the card?

If you want a Vega, I'd highly recommend not getting a refund, as you'll have to purchase it again when it's much more expensive. I highly doubt we'll ever see the AIO model for the £638.99 that we paid on launch day.

The OCUK gent on the phone said I was best off getting a refund due to the lack of stock, I paid £780 for a Powercolor model which was too much but I was willing to live with that if the card had worked properly, I wish I hadn't cancelled my day one order for a £640 Sapphire one, Now I'll wait for the aftermarket models and see what's on offer.

It was mentioned that someone was on the phone to them and they said there were 30 aio cards on launch day. Seen the post last night on here somewhere.

I think you mean me, One of the phone guy's at OCUK told me there was only 30 of the Aqua packs at the reduced price the day after the release when I phoned to see why I hadn't got a DPD delivery email.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Are you using two separate power cables from your PSU to each of the two 8pin PCI-E power connectors on the card?
. . .

Yes two cables should be used from separate outputs on the PSU.

People also need to check the PSU specs (often shown on the sticker on the PSU or on its box/manual) as some PSU's can deliver sufficient current (Amps) only on different rails and hence the card should be spread across 2 or more (mobo too) rails where you plug the end of the cable into the PSU.

Whilst some high current PSU's can deliver it all on one rail where it doesn't matter - but you should still use two cables - no daisy chaining even if using Molex/SATA to 8-pin PCIe adaptors.

Man of Honour
OP
2 duds in a batch of around 30, (yours and matts), gonna be a pain in the ass waiting on replacement.

I bet it is to do with the HBM memory as it is very delicate and a nightmare to work anywhere near when fitting waterblocks for example.

This is based on my time with the Fury Xs and I am hoping that HBM2 is a bit more robust.

I had 2 dud Fury Xs out of 6 in total, both due to faulty memory chips.

Associate
Nice to see people enjoying their cards :)

I was at work when they launched, managed to get my order in by 14:10 or so for £638.99 for the Sapphire Liquid Cooled one, though obviously missed out on the initial stock allocation.

Kept my order in, which has now turned to a pre-order, can't wait for mine to arrive :)

I read on Reddit that the AIO's fan is very loud, a member there simply disconnected the supplied fan (unscrewed the shroud, no warranty stickers removed) and connected a Noctua fan to his motherboard instead. The stock fan uses a tiny connector, so you can't easily connect a normal fan to the GPU's board.

I'll likely do this as well if the stock fan is that bad, as the rest of my case has all Noctua's and is extremely quiet etc.

Hoping that Sapphire manage to deliver a truckload of Vega to OCUK next week!

Oh forgot to mention, was also kind of surprised at the 2 year warranty. I'll probably be upgrading to Navi when it releases, which will probably be 2 years from now, so this GPU only has to last 2 years for me. I won't be selling it after that time, as I love how it looks too much for that!

I wouldn't say it's very loud no, just that on load you can hear it as it doesn't have a pleasant acoustic signature. I'm also thinking about replacing the fan, just haven't figured out what would be best way yet.

Regarding putting the rad in a push-pull configuration (with one of the fan being the default AMD one) as it was suggested earlier in this thread I've tried and it's not worth it. Only gain 1-2°C and noise wise it hasn't changed the behaviour of the AMD fan in any way :(

Last edited:
Associate
Due to the no signal crashes I've been getting I got a new PSU delivered today. Yesterday I made a couple of calls to OCUK and two different gent's told me that a Vega AIO will be fine with a good quality 750 watt or above PSU so I ordered a Corsair HX 850 which is a Platinum rated model, I paid extra for a Saturday delivery and it came early which was great, I spent an hour taking the PC apart and fitted the new PSU. I then turned the PC on and loaded a game, Within two or three minutes I got a no signal crash forcing me to reboot the PC, I then booted up and tried two different games and got the same result with both, a no signal crash forcing a reboot. I obviously got a dud. I phoned OCUK and as expected can't get it replaced due to a lack of stock so I'm getting a refund. I suppose I'll just have to wait for stock levels to improve. I'm still planning on getting a Vega so I'm going to keep the psu they delivered today.

Have you tried running it with the secondary BIOS (which makes the card run basically as a non-AIO Vega 64 power wise)? Apparently the difference is minimal performance wise but it drastically reduces power consumption and so helps a lot when it comes to stability.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who would have it on anything other than the default RED colour? :D

Me - to match my blue theme of course! Shame about the big red Radeon!

Anyway some more thoughts after playing for 2 hours. System is:

4790K @ 4.4 Stock volts
16gb 1866 DDR3
MSI Z97
VEGA64 air - was an RX480 8GB
2560x1080

Benchmarks - much higher numbers - about a 50% improvement e.g. Heaven score 1450 odd to 2200. Firestrike etc the same.
Games - PUBG was running around 50-70 fps, same settings now 90-140 fps - 85C. BF1 MP stuck at the max 60 online, but never dips and AB shows VEGA running at about 70% usage, sitting about 70C.

From Corsair Link - having been running the above max power in 520W max out 495W. GPU temp max 85C min 35C, GPU Fan max 2440 min 623 (even though a blower, very impressed with the lack of noise).

It's definately the boost my freesync setup needed, if a little expensive (I bought the £579 Powercolour). My gsync setups were there about 2 years ago though. Still overall, I'm happy!

PS: not fiddled with anything yet, all stock.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've only one got the one and don't know any gamers locally.

Ah, well, it was just a suggestion. At least you are getting your money back. It might work out better for you though, if you decide to buy another Vega when they are next in stock they will probably be cheaper.

Sometimes people are just unlucky too. When I bought my MST 680 GTX, I had to return 3 of them before I got a working card :( I was using onboard graphics for the most part of 2 months.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Me - to match my blue theme of course! Shame about the big red Radeon!

Heretic!!

I think I read somewhere you can remove the shroud without removing any warranty-void screws (but not all manufacturers might be the same) - the RED might just be a piece of RED plastic and you could change it to something BLUE instead. But it could be some RED LED' too :(

Maybe look for some disassembly pictures to see if that might be a route.

M.

Soldato
I bet it is to do with the HBM memory as it is very delicate and a nightmare to work anywhere near when fitting waterblocks for example.

This is based on my time with the Fury Xs and I am hoping that HBM2 is a bit more robust.

I had 2 dud Fury Xs out of 6 in total, both due to faulty memory chips.

How do you know they had faulty memory chips? Did you get a report from the repair/RMA centre, or are you just assuming?

Did the cards only become faulty after you removed the stock thermal solution and fitted waterblocks?

Soldato
The OCUK gent on the phone said I was best off getting a refund due to the lack of stock, I paid £780 for a Powercolor model which was too much but I was willing to live with that if the card had worked properly, I wish I hadn't cancelled my day one order for a £640 Sapphire one, Now I'll wait for the aftermarket models and see what's on offer.

Ah I see. I was also considering cancelling and waiting for a aftermarket one, though I like the look of the blushed aluminium shroud and backplate far too much to contemplate waiting. Plus initial reports of the Asus Strix 3 fan cooler aren't that impressive - still runs very hot. These cards need water for low temperatures and silence imo.

I'd consider paying £700 for a Gigabyte Liquid cooled card, due to the 3 year warranty, though £800 is out of the question, so I'll just wait for the Sapphire one to come in at £640 on my preorder now.

Associate
Due to the no signal crashes I've been getting I got a new PSU delivered today. Yesterday I made a couple of calls to OCUK and two different gent's told me that a Vega AIO will be fine with a good quality 750 watt or above PSU so I ordered a Corsair HX 850 which is a Platinum rated model, I paid extra for a Saturday delivery and it came early which was great, I spent an hour taking the PC apart and fitted the new PSU. I then turned the PC on and loaded a game, Within two or three minutes I got a no signal crash forcing me to reboot the PC, I then booted up and tried two different games and got the same result with both, a no signal crash forcing a reboot. I obviously got a dud. I phoned OCUK and as expected can't get it replaced due to a lack of stock so I'm getting a refund. I suppose I'll just have to wait for stock levels to improve. I'm still planning on getting a Vega so I'm going to keep the psu they delivered today.
That's really crap mate, sorry to hear, which board vendor did you purchase from? Hope I don't get back from holiday to my dk04 and a doa vega 64

Soldato
Heretic!!

I think I read somewhere you can remove the shroud without removing any warranty-void screws (but not all manufacturers might be the same) - the RED might just be a piece of RED plastic and you could change it to something BLUE instead. But it could be some RED LED' too :(

M.

Thanks matey - for that the "botherometer" needs to move past the "can be arsed" marker!

Permabanned
Have you tried running it with the secondary BIOS (which makes the card run basically as a non-AIO Vega 64 power wise)? Apparently the difference is minimal performance wise but it drastically reduces power consumption and so helps a lot when it comes to stability.

I haven't but I'm not interested in spending £780 on a card that can't be run at it's stated spec so even if I could get around it that way I wouldn't want to.

Ah, well, it was just a suggestion. At least you are getting your money back. It might work out better for you though, if you decide to buy another Vega when they are next in stock they will probably be cheaper.

Sometimes people are just unlucky too. When I bought my MST 680 GTX, I had to return 3 of them before I got a working card :( I was using onboard graphics for the most part of 2 months.

I wish I hadn't sold my Fury Tri-x when I did but luckily I haven't got around to putting my 1060 on the MM yet so I'm okay for now.

Ah I see. I was also considering cancelling and waiting for a aftermarket one, though I like the look of the blushed aluminium shroud and backplate far too much to contemplate waiting. Plus initial reports of the Asus Strix 3 fan cooler aren't that impressive - still runs very hot. These cards need water for low temperatures and silence imo.

I'd consider paying £700 for a Gigabyte Liquid cooled card, due to the 3 year warranty, though £800 is out of the question, so I'll just wait for the Sapphire one to come in at £640 on my preorder now.

AMD didn't hold back when designing the card's casing, They look amazing, So I'm likely to buy another reference AIO if they're made available before the non reference land.

That's really crap mate, sorry to hear, which board vendor did you purchase from? Hope I don't get back from holiday to my dk04 and a doa vega 64

It was a PowerColor model, I've got my Fingers crossed for you.

Thankyou to everyone for the suggestions

Caporegime
I haven't but I'm not interested in spending £780 on a card that can't be run at it's stated spec so even if I could get around it that way I wouldn't want to.

Can't blame you man, I'd be pretty peeved if I'd have spent that much for it to not work as intended. Feel for ya :(

Glad you still have the 1060 though!! Not ideal but it's something :)

Associate
Heretic!!

M.

The only warranty void sticker is one of the the 4 main screws holding the heatsink; you can take the shroud off without the heatsink but its a PITA!

Back
Top Bottom