My Log Burner...

Soldato
The difference may not be as minimal as you think. A mate has a cheaper steel stove which is great but he's burning through logs twice as fast as me. We worked out that one season of buring alone puts his total spend level with mine. Year 2 onward it's costing him much more.

Associate
I've just pourer 100litres of insulation material down my chimney (not down the flue liner!) to fall on top of my register plate to help keep heat in the room

... it started coming into the living room around the register plate, turns out the clown who fitted it hadn't sealed anything.

Hopefull be a lot warmer this winter!

Associate
I've just pourer 100litres of insulation material down my chimney (not down the flue liner!) to fall on top of my register plate to help keep heat in the room

... it started coming into the living room around the register plate, turns out the clown who fitted it hadn't sealed anything.

Wouldn't fancy cleaning up the mess if you ever needed to change the stove or remove the register plate... Also hope it's fire safe!

Soldato

Did you check your chimney for leaks before adding the insulation? If water can get in at any point the insulation can expand causing damage to the chimney. I was all for adding insulation until I found out about that, especially as we live in an old house.

Associate
There's a few things that affect the price, the first like anything is build quality/where it's made.

Then the other two main things is burn chamber technology, there's new regs coming in 2022, for more efficient burn chambers, these stoves are already available from decent manufacturers, either branded SIA ready or ecodesign.
The last thing is just style, things like curved glass, side glass, fancy colours/finishes etc etc.

Soldato
Cheers

We've got an independent guy coming tomorrow to sweep the chimney and give us a fitting price. Our open fire in the other room needs sweeping too so can get it all done together. £90 for 2 chimneys seems good too.

Zarnage, what are your thoughts on the "Neo" i posted above?

Associate
Cheers

We've got an independent guy coming tomorrow to sweep the chimney and give us a fitting price. Our open fire in the other room needs sweeping too so can get it all done together. £90 for 2 chimneys seems good too.

Zarnage, what are your thoughts on the "Neo" i posted above?

Price sounds right for 2 sweeps, when an open fire is involved.

Cant say ive heard of a Neo. Not sure if you in a smoke control area though, as that doesnt seem to be Defra/smoke controlled.

Soldato
Well that went different to planned.

We've ended up seeing an Ex-Display model in the local shop which is £1400. The look and feel of it compared to the cheaper ones we saw was night and day. Just need to work out whether we can justify spending 3x what we expected!

One thing he mentioned was that on top of the stove it would be about £300 for the registry plate and piping etc. Does that seem reasonable? I hadn't considered these extras before when looking at prices and thought those bits would be included.

The breakdown was

Stove - £1200
Registry plate and extras - £300
Fitting - ~£200
Flue liner - ~600

Said there might be some wiggle room. Wondering whether you thought the above seemed reasonable? I think the fitting and flue seem very reasonable. It's just that £300 which sticks out a little.

Soldato
Can't remember the model but a Charlton and Jenrick Purevision one.

Not fully decided yet but we did like it. I think now we've started looking at more expensive ones it's given us more to look/think about.

Just looking and i'm wondering if something like this is worth buying. If the liner is included then thats a winner

https://www.stovesaver.co.uk/product/stovesaver-installation-pack-offer-50-percent/

How tall is a regular terraced house? I think 9m might just be a little short.

Soldato
Also, i imagine these things are fairly easy to disconnect and move?

We're likely to move house in a couple years so if we spend the extra for a branded model we'd prefer to know we can take it to the new place.

When I installed my Hunter I used a telescopic flue - just push it up a few inches and stove will slide out. - in fact on all the stoves I have had ( 5 - I think) the flue has always been able to be raised above collar on top of stove.

I didn't take anyone of them with me.

dal

dal

Associate
I'm in the market for a woodburner, need about 4.5 - 5 kw, I'm looking at spending about £500 on one, had anyone got one in this price range ? Any issues with it.
Also is it a requirement to have your chimney swept before installing one ?

Soldato
Having looked. The best one around that budget seems to be the Flavel Arundel.

They'll usually sweep during installation.

As for me. I've changed again and decided to go with the Mendip Woodland.

Our opening is pretty big so anything smaller would be lost. This one seems quite tall 620mm compared to a lot around the 450mark.

Back
Top Bottom