The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Was feeling fairly hungry towards the end of my 10pm finish at work. Decided to go online and order myself a Dominos to go collect and take home. They were doing a deal, buy any pizza, any size, get a second free. I know I could have gone for a large, but honestly I didn't want that much pizza at this time of night, plus lugging two large pizzas home on the bus is a pain. So I went with a personal size pizza instead.

Kmt7AN.jpg

8i5lB5.jpg

Got Mexican Fiesta, with the red onions swapped out for extra chicken. And for the free one I got a Meteor with the bacon rashers swapped for extra ground beef. Perfect size for one person :)

Permabanned
The best curry I have ever made! Better than any restaurant curry I have had. I think its down to the base sauce, I tried a new recipe using celery and without adding tomato and its much better than my usual 'the curry secret' one i use imo. I also left it overnighjt in the fridge before blending and freezing, so maybe that helped.

Any chance of the recipe?

Man of Honour
Piri piri ribs, cellery, blue cheese dressing, piri piri sauce. Amazing it was and due to Tesco selling a whole load of ribs off cheap today, probably going to be having them for the next 5 days.

Man of Honour
Nice, home made @Glaucus ?

I just had a ton of chicken thigh, de-boned, doused in garlic powder, onion powder and ancho. Fried off skin-side down to crisp up then chopped and served in wraps with onions, tomatoes, chillies, sour cream, hot sauce. Pretty damn delicious.

Man of Honour
Yep, not really your recipe. Just used it as a guide. Used lime, ginger and some oregano as well and no idea about qauntities just threw it what I thought looked right.
As a marinade baked on to the ribs it was fantastic, as a sauce pretty good, but needs a bit of balancing.

Mmm crispy skin and garlic.
Have you watched everyday sous vide and there experiments with different types of onion and garlic. Essentially powder or dehydrated giving the best flavour to steaks.

Also ordered 500g of New Mexico red chilies. As I want to make some red sauce to go mainly on omelettes but probably smoother most things in it.

Man of Honour
Oh...not sure I have though I've definitely had thoughts before about how to use garlic and onion powder (vs their fresh counterparts). I'll have to check it out.

I'm not that familiar with new mexico chili sauce. Sounds interesting though. I'm a bit obsessed with sour hot sauces at the moment (not fussed about the heat level as long as it's got at least a mild kick). Sounds interesting though.

Soldato
I could all of that. In one go.

I don't think I could. I'd give it a bloody good go though.

Went to Largs today for a little day out. Went to 1890 for lunch, which is an Italian restaurant attached to Nardini's.

P2zD2c.jpg

Starter was homemade meatballs in a curry, cheese and mushroom sauce, served with seared bacon and crostino bread. Loved this! The meatballs were great. The creamy curry sauce worked great with the salty crispy bacon. And the toasted bread was nice too. One tiny little niggle is I wish the potion was perhaps a bit bigger. 4 or 5 meatballs would have been the ideal size for me.

aIGOik.jpg

Main was half lobster with tagliolini in a creamy tomato and lobster sauce, with a hint of cognac. I've eaten lobster before, but this was the first time when it was still in the shell. Gonna be honest, I found the process of getting the meat out more trouble than it was worth. And they went way overboard on the pasta. I didn't come close to finishing it. Ironic that with the starter I longed for more and with the main I longed for less. It was decent enough, but I wouldn't get it again.

gb6gef.jpg

Dessert was a step back in the right direction. Hot chocolate fudge cake with a creamy milk topping and a scoop of hazelnut ice cream. Very rich and very delicious. Had it with a glass of really nice dessert wine. Sweet, but not too sweet :)

pIM0K0.jpg

And since I was at Nardini's, it would have been a crime to leave without some takeaway ice cream. Got a tub with two scoops, creamy coconut and mango tango sorbet. Lovely! Went and sat at a bench on the shoreline to enjoy this and took in the view :)

Man of Honour
wings are amazing, generally have them several times a week, if doing at home check out serious eats oven baked method.
then I normally throw on a sauce of franks red hot, butter, chilli flakes, ginger, garlic, other hot sauce.
then blitz together some set greek yoghurt and blue cheese and a few lengths of celery, or ditch the blue cheese dressing and celery and swap with coleslaw(home made).
Although ran out of franks red hot 1gallon bottle last week, I know some on here don't like it, but I think it makes a great base.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom