Monitor Suggestions? 25/27" 144Hz

Associate
I've a PC build with an Nvidia 1080 and need a monitor along with it that can fit the bill. 25/27" seemed best and I'm guessing 1440p resolution is too. The budget I have is around £350.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
For that budget, your main options would be:

AOC AG241QG (G-Sync 165hz 1440p) - 419.97

AOC AG241QX (FreeSync, 144hz, 1440p) - 318.99

AGON AG271QX (FreeSync 165hz 1440p) - 419.99

Acer Predator XG270HU (FreeSync 165hz 1440p) - 428.99

There aren't any 27in, 1440p, 144hz monitors directly within your budget. But there are a few free-sync 27in 1440, 144hz monitors for around 450. These monitors use FreeSync, which won't work properly with your 1080. I have linked 1 g-sync monitor which would though, but it is 24in not 27in.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
For that budget, your main options would be:

AOC AG241QG (g-sync 165hz 1440p) - 419.97

AOC AG241QX (free-sync, 144hz, 1440p) - 318.99

AGON AG271QX (free-sync 165hz 1440p) - 419.99

Acer Predator XG270HU (free-sync 165hz 1440p) - 428.99

There aren't any 27in, 1440p, 144hz monitors directly within your budget. But there are a few free-sync 27in 1440, 144hz monitors for around 450. These monitors use free-sync, which won't work properly with your 1080. I have linked 1 g-sync monitor which would though, but it is 24in not 27in.
Would the free-sync make much difference?

Associate
Would the free-sync make much difference?
It can make a difference if you find things like screen-tearing really annoying. But it also depends on the games you play, the FreeSync/G-Sync benefits are more pronounced in games where you often get low fps (below 60).

FreeSync is basically identical to G-Sync, but FreeSync only works with AMD GPUs and G-Sync only works with Nvidia GPUs. G-Sync monitors cost roughly 100 more than their FreeSync counterparts. By getting the FreeSync monitor you would certainly save some money, but you would also be locked out of features. Also, the G-Sync monitor I linked has a slightly higher refresh rate and benefits from NVIDIA ULMB - which makes game play even more responsive by reducing motion blur. It's also 24in, which I find is best for gaming. One thing I do often read is that once people try G-Sync/FreeSync, they never want to go without it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2974...rate-displays-make-pc-games-super-smooth.html

The bottom line is that G-Sync costs around 100 more, but does offer more features especially with your 1080. By choosing FreeSync you save money, but you can't use certain features on the monitor as you cannot use FreeSync with a GTX 1080. You also get a slightly lower refresh rate and no NVIDIA ULMB.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm interested in this thread a friend demo 'D 144hz and it's like day and night.. I wish I'd not seen it... Even after seeing 30s of game play on the same game on the same monitor.. He just forced 60hz initially.. Free sync is the generic standard? Or do I need Gsync and Nvidia?

Associate
I'm interested in this thread a friend demo 'D 144hz and it's like day and night.. I wish I'd not seen it... Even after seeing 30s of game play on the same game on the same monitor.. He just forced 60hz initially.. Free sync is the generic standard? Or do I need Gsync and Nvidia?
G-Sync only works with Nvidia cards. AMD is behind FreeSync, and it is an open standard, but until Nvidia supports it you can only use it with an AMD card.

Associate
You want G sync for Nvidia Freesync only works with AMD. I've been playing with Gsync @ 27" 1440P for about 8 months now and it is spectacular. I could never go back to 60Hz. It's very much a pandora's box, once you open it cheap monitors will never suffice again.

I suggest you go with the suggested 24" G sync monitor. Not worth losing G sync for 3 more inches of screen space and losing adaptive sync.

I'm so much better at overwatch since playing at 140Hz vs 60Hz I get like 2x as many kills per match- just from the monitor change.

If you want to stretch your budget have a look at the Dell SD2416DG and SD2716DG.

Associate
OP
@southernorth @mistersprinkles

I've realised it's going to be a real pain to get the monitor I want on that budget and have decided to increase it because I know it will be worth it in the long term. So just wondering if you have any other recommendations too for below £500? Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
The ViewSonic XG2703-GS could be an option. - A review

Unfortunately, basically all 27in 1440p IPS G-Sync monitors suffer from 'IPS glow' and often bad backlight bleed. The Dell S2716DG you have linked is probably the best gaming monitor, due to low response times and a strong implementation of ULMB, but it is TN and therefore has worse colours than any of the IPS monitors.

For purely a better gaming experience (low pixel response times) TN wins. But IPS offers better colours. It depends on what you prefer more I guess, and if you do any colour-sensitive work like photoshop/video editing.

Associate
OP
The ViewSonic XG2703-GS could be an option. - A review

Unfortunately, basically all 27in 1440p IPS G-Sync monitors suffer from 'IPS glow' and often bad backlight bleed. The Dell S2716DG you have linked is probably the best gaming monitor, in terms of response times, implementation of ULMB, but it is TN and therefore has worse colours than any of the IPS monitors.

I don't feel TN will be much of an issue for me so I'm happy to deal with that. The monitor that I've spotted is this below. Any thoughts?

Edit: The Dell I'd linked was wrongly advertised so I'm outpriced. I think 24" is going to be fine based on what I'm looking for against budget

AOC AGON AG241QG 24" 2560 x 1440 TN G-Sync 165Hz Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor - Black/Red
= £428.99

Associate
If you were going for 24in TN, I would go for the Dell S2417DG instead (found for £429.30) over the 24in AOC.

Reviews for AOC and Dell show the Dell clearly coming out on top. Also, Dell offers probably the best support/returns/repairs policies in the monitor industry.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you were going for 24in TN, I would go for the Dell S2417DG instead (found for £429.30)

Reviews for AOC v Dell show the Dell coming out on top. Also, Dell offers probably the best support/returns/repairs policies in the monitor industry.

I've also found the 27in Dell S2716DG for £479.00

The 27in Dell S2716DG I'm guessing is from JL. That monitor is probably the best bet so I'll make my decision tomorrow or not on getting it

Associate
The 27in Dell S2716DG I'm guessing is from JL. That monitor is probably the best bet so I'll make my decision tomorrow or not on getting it
The £479.99 is from a seller I have never heard of, on a large online only retailer, and they only have 1 in stock. Yeah, I'd probably spend the extra £20 and get it from somewhere more well known.

Last edited:
Associate
As it's for gaming your priorities in order should be,

1, Refresh rate
2, G-sync
3, Resolution
4, Depending on the type of games you play would determine if you would be better off with a slower response time IPS panel for better visuals or a 1ms panel for fps gameplay etc.

Personally this list changes for me depending on the game I'm playing at the time.

My advice would be to just look at what's available for your budget and get something that at least fits the first 2 box's if your going for 144hz and g-sync you'll be looking at 1080p not 1440p for your budget.

But as always its personal preference, I love gaming at high refresh rates but some games, tomb raider or the witcher 3 for example, I prefer to play at 4k @60fps, just for the amazing visuals.

If your limited to a budget, compromise as best you can :)

I could never go back to 60Hz. It's very much a pandora's box, once you open it cheap monitors will never suffice again.

So true...I remember making the jump from 60hz to 165hz, and its insane how much better it feels and looks, and looking at a 60hz screen again after that is painful...but I've found that looking at a 4k maxed out 60hz screen for gaming is still awesome in a different way :)

So now I have a RoG swift pg279q and an Acer Predator XB321HK because pfft...why compromise :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
So true...I remember making the jump from 60hz to 165hz, and its insane how much better it feels and looks, and looking at a 60hz screen again after that is painful...but I've found that looking at a 4k maxed out 60hz screen for gaming is still awesome in a different way :)

So now I have a RoG swift pg279q and an Acer Predator XB321HK because pfft...why compromise :)

You only have TWO Gsync monitors? Pfft. Jimmy O'Connell down the street has four :p :p :p lol.

If you can afford it definitely go with the Dell. I have the 27" version and I honestly have no complaints. Zero motion blurr, instant response, good quality of color for a TN panel, I have not seen any backlight bleed. I'm happy. Zero issues really in 9 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
As it's for gaming your priorities in order should be,

1, Refresh rate
2, G-sync
3, Resolution
4, Depending on the type of games you play would determine if you would be better off with a slower response time IPS panel for better visuals or a 1ms panel for fps gameplay etc.

Personally this list changes for me depending on the game I'm playing at the time.

My advice would be to just look at what's available for your budget and get something that at least fits the first 2 box's if your going for 144hz and g-sync you'll be looking at 1080p not 1440p for your budget.

But as always its personal preference, I love gaming at high refresh rates but some games, tomb raider or the witcher 3 for example, I prefer to play at 4k @60fps, just for the amazing visuals.

If your limited to a budget, compromise as best you can :)
If you can afford it definitely go with the Dell. I have the 27" version and I honestly have no complaints. Zero motion blurr, instant response, good quality of color for a TN panel, I have not seen any backlight bleed. I'm happy. Zero issues really in 9 months.
Well I've decided I'm going to get the 27" Dell S2716DG for £500. 144Hz which is a big upgrade for me, 1440p and G-Sync so overall, perfect for what I want and at a good price

Associate
Well I've decided I'm going to get the 27" Dell S2716DG for £500. 144Hz which is a big upgrade for me, 1440p and G-Sync so overall, perfect for what I want and at a good price

If you like it half as much as I do, you'll be a happy man.
Some people don't like the color out of the box, go to the Dell SD2716DG thread and have a look for some workarounds if you have that issue.

And remember to go into the Nvidia control panel, set GSync to on for both windowed and fullscreen, set the refresh rate to 144Hz in windows display options, and always play with Vsync off, which overrides Gsync.

Man of Honour
There aren't any 27in, 1440p, 144hz monitors directly within your budget. But there are a few free-sync 27in 1440, 144hz monitors for around 450. These monitors use FreeSync, which won't work properly with your 1080. I have linked 1 g-sync monitor which would though, but it is 24in not 27in.
Iiyama GB2760QSU is under £400 delivered - freesync but cheaper than those other freesync options.

Associate
OP
If you like it half as much as I do, you'll be a happy man.
Some people don't like the color out of the box, go to the Dell SD2716DG thread and have a look for some workarounds if you have that issue.

And remember to go into the Nvidia control panel, set GSync to on for both windowed and fullscreen, set the refresh rate to 144Hz in windows display options, and always play with Vsync off, which overrides Gsync.
Could you link the thread for me, thanks

Back
Top Bottom