Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
Got my brother on Huel now as he's 3 stone overweight and very depressed. His girlfriend left him last week and he's taken it badly.

Thankfully this time he's going down the get fit route instead of heading to the pub.

Man of Honour
Just grabbed 7.5kg of the MP Whole fuel while they've got 50% off, need to start getting some stability back into my diet which is a pain living between mine and my other halfs and having to cram everything onto a motorbike so hopefully this will help get me back into some eating structure.

Fingers crossed she'll be a fan as well as she's desperate to lose weight but completely flipping useless at not eating muck :rolleyes:

Plan is to use this while at work and for breakfast then I can still smash in a massive meal at dinner time.

Man of Honour
Whole Fuel arrived on Saturday, got a bag of chocolate and a bag of vanilla.

Tried the vanilla so far and tastes almost the same as the Huel I used in the past, not too sweet and not undrinkably thick in a 1L shaker. Will try the chocolate in a bit when I have breakfast.

The only downside I can see compared to Huel is the lower protein per serving but again using it for breakfast and lunch gives me plenty of calories to have a big dinner and a snack or 2.

Edit: Chocolate is quite nice, pretty much just the malty flavour of the ingredients coming through will a hint of chocolate not the sort of overly sweet or overpowering flavouring that you may get fed up with.

Last edited:
Thug
Soldato
I reckon I need 1800 calories of food whilst losing my weight, and then back up to normal amounts after that.

Question: does it "fill" you up? My job is kinda stressful most times with pretty long hours. I find that I get pretty hungry (source of the problem!) and def don't do as good if I don't eat. Would Huel hit this spot?

Soldato
I reckon I need 1800 calories of food whilst losing my weight, and then back up to normal amounts after that.

Question: does it "fill" you up? My job is kinda stressful most times with pretty long hours. I find that I get pretty hungry (source of the problem!) and def don't do as good if I don't eat. Would Huel hit this spot?

It fills me up and my energy levels are fine. I have Huel then a large cup of tea straight after and that works for me. I have 3 scoops in the morning, another 3 about 2pm. I have meat and veg with spuds for tea.

I drink quite a bit of water and tea throughout the day which fills me up, pee stops can be an issue sometimes.

My brother is 3 stone overweight and he's on Huel now. I know he's struggling as he was used to eating everything and anything.

Man of Honour
I struggle with the not having something to chew feeling, I'm fine and full once I've drank it but sat at my desk leading up to lunch I start to crave something to chew :o

Soldato
Huel is abit expensive isn't it? If they recommend 4 meals per day then it's 28 meals for £45 would last a week :eek: that would be £180 per month would it not? A good Whey protein and buying decent food would still cost less than that per month.
I was looking into it as I need to shift 1 stone to get back into good shape while weight training.
Is Huel something that most of you use say twice per day and still eat normal food or is that defeating the object?
Is there any good alternatives to it?

Caporegime
I'm happy with Whole Fuel. It's a fair bit cheaper, and does the job as far as I can tell (just has a higher sugar content than Huel).

I only supplement meals with it though, not 100% shakes. So I'll have normal noon lunch, 2 scoop shake around 3pm, then a normal dinner or 4 scoop shake for dinner around 7pm.

Soldato
OP
Huel is abit expensive isn't it? If they recommend 4 meals per day then it's 28 meals for £45 would last a week :eek: that would be £180 per month would it not? A good Whey protein and buying decent food would still cost less than that per month.
I was looking into it as I need to shift 1 stone to get back into good shape while weight training.
Is Huel something that most of you use say twice per day and still eat normal food or is that defeating the object?
Is there any good alternatives to it?

I go through a bag a week at the moment, which is about £18.50 with the subscription. That's two Huel meals per work day (4 scoops each) and one on the weekend. The rest of the meals are normal food - so roughly a 50-50 split. Seems like great value to me! You could eat clean for less, but you have to factor in the time spent on meal planning, shopping, prep, cooking ect. Each to their own. I've done it, but don't have the discipline to be consistent day in day out. I've no experience with alternatives.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies ;) how long is the subscription to get the cost down to £18.50 per bag? As that is quite abit cheaper than when I looked. I think if I was to try it I would still want one proper meal per day I wouldn't just go 100% drinking that.
I'll look into how much cheaper the MP whole fuel will be aswell

Associate
I've just started trying Whole Fuel and I'm not sure I can get on with the taste. The vanilla tastes vile and the chocolate, whilst not as bad, is super sickly sweet, that is coming from a man with a very sweet tooth.

Any tips on what to mix it with to make it a bit more palatable?

Associate
Just bought a load of whole fuel. Mixes incredibly thick ! Also find it very sweet. Might be less sweet if mixed with some ground up / powdered oats that myprotein offer

Caporegime
I've just started trying Whole Fuel and I'm not sure I can get on with the taste. The vanilla tastes vile and the chocolate, whilst not as bad, is super sickly sweet, that is coming from a man with a very sweet tooth.

Any tips on what to mix it with to make it a bit more palatable?

Weird, I have a very low sweetness threshold, and I find the chocolate WF fine. What ratios are you using? More water will help dilute the flavour I guess.

Last night I blended my choco WF with a handful of frozen blueberries, YUM.

Back
Top Bottom