1980's board game, it had orange pieces and was a Dungeon Crawler style

Soldato
So I am trying to remember a game I played when very young, I think as long ago as 1980's. The pieces were card board and you would put them together randomly to create different situations.

The idea was as each dungeon piece was turned over it would create a path with a situation (whirl pool, or meeting some kind of beast).

Anyone remember this kind of thing? All I remember is that the card board map pieces were orange.

Soldato
I'm a massive fan of Hero Quest, Fighting Fantasy game books and anything that falls into the British fantasy realm of the 80s.

One of my friends growing up had parents who were Evangelical Christians. One day during the summer holidays his mum returned home to find us playing Hero Quest on her kitchen table. She took one look at it and said to my friend "You better finish your game because this is the last time you will be playing it". The Hero Quest board was tantamount to a Ouija board in her mind. She knew about "Dungeons & Dragon"s and how it had warped the minds of christian children in the US, now here it was on British soil in here own kitchen!!!

The solution was fairly simple however, he used to play it at my house instead. Simpler and fantastic times.

Soldato
I loved hero quest too. I threw my mint condition set away about 20 years ago. Stupid really, they sell for a quite a few quid now.
I played it a couple of times at a friend's house when I was about 10. It was awesome.

My son is now 7.5, and I've been weighing up whether to get one of the old sets - it's about £100 for one on Ebay.

Are there any modern equivalents? I forget what made it so great, having only played it a bit, but perhaps some of you can remember better and have played something similar?

Caporegime
I played it a couple of times at a friend's house when I was about 10. It was awesome.

My son is now 7.5, and I've been weighing up whether to get one of the old sets - it's about £100 for one on Ebay.

Are there any modern equivalents? I forget what made it so great, having only played it a bit, but perhaps some of you can remember better and have played something similar?
I think it was just that it drew you into a fantasy world. There was no powerful consoles back then, so computer games like Skyrim and WoW were still in the realms of science fiction. It was an escape from the often humdrum life of a normal 12 year old. Don't you remember how popular the tv show Kinghtmare was? Same thing really.

I liked all games that required setting up to create a location. Some of my faves were Heroquest, Ghost Castle, Mousetrap and Escape from Atlantis. There must have been others too.

Back
Top Bottom