• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Well, after a few benches (3dmark, unigine, etc) everything seems to be rock solid stable on stock. And it does look very nice.
JI5XrVOl.jpg

Does the 1600X have the 20c offset as well? I'm seeing the CPU peak to 80c on HWMonitor and the Spire cooler is pretty loud. Going to try repasting it after work with some Kryonaut and hopefully that will drop some temps. I should've gotten a cooler with an AM4 bracket, been about a week since I requested one from Cryorig :p.

Soldato
She lives!!! I put my Ryzen 1600 system together last night. Still a few things to today but she is running.

Currently decorating the office, so could only hook it up to the TV and use a keyboard. Windows recognized the system just fine even though not connected to the network, and my ssd being used in my 7850k system and with an old intel wolfdale system.

Geil evo x (amd version) 16gb of RAM seems to be working at 3200 using profile 2. The system did restart like 6 times or something on a bios reboot though which is weird. Running this from the MSI Tomahawk

Haven't done any drivers updates or anything yet and probably won't until I get the office painted. No bios updates either yet, this is fresh from the box.

Defo need to replace the 4870 currently in there though.

Last edited:
Associate
Ryzen 7 1700
MSI Carbon Gaming Pro x370
Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz
Hyper Evo 212 Cooler

Trying to overclock my Ryzen 1700 & RAM but struggling to get anything stable with low temps

The best I've done so far is 3.7Ghz at 1.28v (VOC +1.000), spikes to 1.30v on stress test, Idle temps around 35c - max temps 71C ish.

If i try push 3.8ghz, I have to increase voltage to 1.37v (VOC +1.000), which spikes to 1.4v on stress test, max temps hitting around 89c at times... too high

3.9+ is out of the question

RAM will not go past 3066mhz either on 1.38v, or if I change Command Line to 2T I can get it running at 1.35v

Have I got a poor Ryzen chip here? was hoping to push 3.9ghz, or even 3.8 ghz, on lower volts with max temps around 70c max

Soldato
Sounds like the chip is capable, what is your idle temp? Seeing as the 212 isn't a bad cooler, have you tried re-seating/re-pasting it to check that's not the issue?

Soldato
I would be checking the cooler (for seating, dust, paste) and if the fan is running full speed etc. Hyper EVO 212 is budget to mid level cooler though. You can always add a second fan to it btw. Just make sure they are both blowing in the same direction, and not into each other.

Soldato
To get my 1700 to 3.7 I used 1.22v manual voltage. Using the stock cooler the highest temp I get is low mid fifties. Used realbench and cinebench to test, as well as BF1 which is very sensitive to unstable machines. Not tried it with any other tests as machine is completely stable for my needs. 3.8 or higher needs much better cooling.

If you have the corsair lpx 3200 ram the most it do is 3066 or 2933 completely stable as it is hynix based. Samsung b die based ram works better on ryzen but it's limit without a lot of testing and tweaking is 3333 cl4 generally if you get good quality. Mine boots at 3466 but crashes with an hour under any real load.

Soldato
Wow, the oc options on this asrock matx b350 pro are incredibly limited.

Can't even set soc voltage. So probably will be lucky to get ram up to 2666 on this board.

Associate
Anyone else get crazy overclocks at standard settings. I have a 1700x and after trying some overclocking returned it to stock settings. Got hwinfo running and its had core 0 running at 4050 and core 1 running at 4300 an the max settings. I know this was probably instantaneous, but should it even do that. it took 1.525 v to do it

Soldato
So I found out the 1600X does indeed have the 20c offset, but HWMonitor is showing the correct temp when comparing with Ryzen master and HWInfo. Took apart the cooler, and it does look like it was making full contact. Replaced with Kryonaut and tweaked the CPU and case fans to run a little higher and now I'm seeing 70c peak on prime, which is far more reasonable.

Soldato
Well I knew the 1800X and 1700X does, didn't know if the 1600X did. I built a 1500X system a month ago as well but the temps looked fine so didn't really check if all X chips had it :p.

Was just trying to find out why the Spire cooler was performing badly for me and was hoping the offset was the answer... which it wasn't anyway.

Soldato
Decided to go from a 120mm AIO to a Noctua NH-U14S and when removing the pump from the CPU it came out of the board stuck to the bottom of the pump. I thought "**** sake that'll be a new processor and maybe a mobo" but everything looked OK on both. Once all back together with the Noctua installed everything booted up fine and all is well. Thank **** for that :D

Soldato
Decided to go from a 120mm AIO to a Noctua NH-U14S and when removing the pump from the CPU it came out of the board stuck to the bottom of the pump.
Glad to read you're system survived - must have been a gut wrenching moment... And a worthy '**** sake!'

If you have the data already - what are the temp comparisons of the Noctua NH-U14S to your 120mm AIO?

Soldato
Done a little testing and with all the fans set quieter than the sound from the 2 AIO fans, quite a bit quieter as the Noctua fan is great quality, I had a 2 degree lower temp after a 15 min Realbench stress test.

More testing during the day tomorrow when the ambient is warmer.

Soldato
Done a little testing and with all the fans set quieter than the sound from the 2 AIO fans, quite a bit quieter as the Noctua fan is great quality, I had a 2 degree lower temp after a 15 min Realbench stress test.
Appreciated - impressive given single tower/fan cooler.

I made the move back to quality air few years ago (but it's essentially a twin brick) - but considering a single tower/fan solution with my second PC - your results look really promising.

Soldato
Ryzen 7 1700
MSI Carbon Gaming Pro x370
Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz
Hyper Evo 212 Cooler

Trying to overclock my Ryzen 1700 & RAM but struggling to get anything stable with low temps

The best I've done so far is 3.7Ghz at 1.28v (VOC +1.000), spikes to 1.30v on stress test, Idle temps around 35c - max temps 71C ish.

If i try push 3.8ghz, I have to increase voltage to 1.37v (VOC +1.000), which spikes to 1.4v on stress test, max temps hitting around 89c at times... too high

3.9+ is out of the question

RAM will not go past 3066mhz either on 1.38v, or if I change Command Line to 2T I can get it running at 1.35v

Have I got a poor Ryzen chip here? was hoping to push 3.9ghz, or even 3.8 ghz, on lower volts with max temps around 70c max

If your hitting 89c, what cooler do you have? That's way too high. These chips run cool up to about 1.4v.

My NH-D14 at 1.4v 3.9Ghz was only hitting 71c. It wasn't stable my chip can probably only do 3.8ghz, but temps wasn't my issue. I didnt want to go above 1.4v.

Associate
If your hitting 89c, what cooler do you have? That's way too high. These chips run cool up to about 1.4v.

My NH-D14 at 1.4v 3.9Ghz was only hitting 71c. It wasn't stable my chip can probably only do 3.8ghz, but temps wasn't my issue. I didnt want to go above 1.4v.

Sounds like the chip is capable, what is your idle temp? Seeing as the 212 isn't a bad cooler, have you tried re-seating/re-pasting it to check that's not the issue?

I would be checking the cooler (for seating, dust, paste) and if the fan is running full speed etc. Hyper EVO 212 is budget to mid level cooler though. You can always add a second fan to it btw. Just make sure they are both blowing in the same direction, and not into each other.

Update: reseated and repasted the cooler completely, seems better now,

Reset my overclocks to default & started again, got it to 3.9ghz at 1.36v (spikes to 1.39v under full load) and temps are maxing out at 76c with Small FFTs on Prime 95,

downclocked my RAM to 2933mhz too & this seams to keep the build stable now, around 34c idle, and 76c max under stress test with 212 Hyper EVO cooler

Do those temps sound better now? I might upgrade my cooler to a better one, ideally would like max temps under stress under 65c, but tbh I just want gaming & streaming temps to not go above 60-60c

Soldato
Update: reseated and repasted the cooler completely, seems better now,

Reset my overclocks to default & started again, got it to 3.9ghz at 1.36v (spikes to 1.39v under full load) and temps are maxing out at 76c with Small FFTs on Prime 95,

downclocked my RAM to 2933mhz too & this seams to keep the build stable now, around 34c idle, and 76c max under stress test with 212 Hyper EVO cooler

Do those temps sound better now? I might upgrade my cooler to a better one, ideally would like max temps under stress under 65c, but tbh I just want gaming & streaming temps to not go above 60-60c

Yes. Those temps now sound normal.

Back
Top Bottom