• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X - Working, Sold Now Faulty?

Associate
These days said auction site sounds like it's turned the old adage Buyer Beware into Seller Beware. I'm surprised that the sheer number of horror stories haven't had an impact and caused them to take some form of action. Surely it can only hurt the business in the long term by driving people away?

Soldato
And this is why I have not used ebay in years..........even then I got hacked last year via it and money stolen from my paypal account, which was a nightmare to get back - I have all but cut off ebay completely now, I have my old account but absolutely everything is changed in it and I use password managers now for unique passwords.

It's horrendous OP, as you have now found out.

Soldato
Sold the RX480 on eBay no problems, however my main go to selling site is Facebook now. Just add it on to the marketplace so it reaches a wider audience.

Recently bought a GTX980 to replace the 480 off the facebook site no problem.

los

los

Associate
I know this all too well, I could prove that the card I sold on Ebay was fine before I shipped it and they had lifted the wires deliberately to cause it to hit the fan, as could be seen in the pictures and they weren't interested, didnt even want to look at the photos. They even tried to sell it twice then ended it early to return back to me!
Then paypal are just as bad, had a dispute elsewhere and was settled in my favour as they had removed the cooler and the serial number, therefore voiding the warranty and caused the fault. Then they started a paypal dispute and got it all back!
Hence now I will generally favour selling locally or on a forum such as this

Associate
I've got a few spare parts that are still good lying around bit never had the balls to stick them on eBay for this reason.

Can't find out how to get MM access so do places like cash converters and CEX take computer parts?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've got a few spare parts that are still good lying around bit never had the balls to stick them on eBay for this reason.

Can't find out how to get MM access so do places like cash converters and CEX take computer parts?
You probably need to just activate your TRUST

Members Market?
The members market is provided as a free service to active and contributing forum members. OcUK are not liable for any deals that are done in the Members Market, you are free to buy and sell at your own risk. Please read the rules of the Members Market before you proceed to make your first sale.

Access to the Members Market forum requires two things. Firstly, you will need to have over 1000 posts and have been signed up for at least 180 days. Please note that this does not mean you spam the forums simply to increase your posts, as this action will result in posts being deducted, and if you continue this behaviour, your account will eventually be banned/suspended. Once you reach 1000 posts, you will need to activate your trust.The Trust system is for Members Market feedback only and not to be used for general user comments. Abusing the trust system will not be tolerated and such abuse will result in your account being suspended/ banned. Trust activation is either found in your UserCP, or you can press the trust button that appears at the bottom of all your posts.

Once you satisfy both of these criteria, Members Market access will be granted within 24hrs. Please do not post on the forums asking why you cannot access the members market, if you have any queries, email one of the forum Dons/Admins. The contact addresses are available in the FAQ. There is no buying, or selling allowed outside of the Members Market.

Soldato
I sold two 290x on eBay.

They arrived in India in bits.

Customs kept them for 2 weeks.

Sigh
When I was selling stuff on ebay (around early 2000's) the one rule I had was I wouldn't sell to anyone outside the UK. Back then there use to be loads of horror stories about people buying stuff from abroad and ripping of the seller by making false claims against them.

Associate
I got lucky selling my 290x on the bay didn't have any problems , did the usual take pictures of serial numbers etc.
What i did end up having problems was selling PC fans i sold them at 2 quid each with 1 quid postage .......and had 4 that were returned and i had to pay postage back ended up costing me more than i sold.....and i only ever received one back!!!!

Now i've become a hoarder of 2nd hand pc parts as i just don't see the value in selling them only to be screwed over!

Associate
I thought i'd just sold my Fury pro tri-x on the bay this morning, paid the buy it now price. Then messaged me saying he thought it was a Fury X and cancelled :/
Now I need to relist it again, how long does this usually take from cancelling, refunding(all done) and it going up again? Still showing in my account as sold.

These stories are putting me off however. Never sold on there before, usually gift to a mate, but need to make some money towards my 1080ti.

Associate
When I was selling stuff on ebay (around early 2000's) the one rule I had was I wouldn't sell to anyone outside the UK. Back then there use to be loads of horror stories about people buying stuff from abroad and ripping of the seller by making false claims against them.
Same here, no sales outside the UK ever. But that doesn't always help. A few years back a friend of mine listed a piece of machinery for sale, as collection only because it was heavy. He got it sold and the buyer, who's address was listed as some place in Kent, sent a courier to collect it.

The buyer then had the courier re-direct the package to a rent-an-office in Germany and opened a complaint against my friend saying the item hadn't been available for him to collect. In the end the auction site decided in favour of the buyer even though he eventually stopped responding to messages and vanished. My friend lost over £3000 in that incident.

Associate
IV started selling anything 2nd hand of value (normally PC parts) on the well know auction site with a no returns policy just because all of these scams going on at the moment.

As I don't access to the MM here due to the post count lock (silly it's that high imo). Iv started selling old components on a well know social media site beginning with F (dunno if name drop is allowed). Sold quite a few bits (almost full Z97 PC and parts from an X99) with no issues and very nice transactions. Just need to be part of a good selling group on there. :)

Man of Honour
IV started selling anything 2nd hand of value (normally PC parts) on the well know auction site with a no returns policy just because all of these scams going on at the moment.

your own personal "no returns policy" cant trump Ebays law on returns im affraid,
if someone claims it arried broken, or not as described you WILL be refunding them

Back
Top Bottom