• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Finally made the switch over to a 1700 yesterday, so far I'm happy with the sidestep / upgrade from a 4770k. Got the 1700 running at 3.9 with my ram at 3200 and now it's under water behaving better than the bench test I did for prep work.

Soldato
Gotta figure out why 3200mhz is being a pain in the butt. Keeps resetting to 2133 grr. So much for Ryzen compatible. Will double check on the ICs.

That Geil stuff isn't B die is it?

Having said that if they market as Ryzen compatible it should damn sure run at the rated speed :mad:

Soldato
MSI tomahawk, R5 1600 and Geil Evo X 16gb (3200 MHz Ryzen edition memory)

I assume you're on the latest BIOS? Can you initially boot and run okay with the 3200MHz setting, but it resets to 2133MHz on cold boot?

Resetting to default SPD is more often than not, the RAM not passing initial training on POST. I have no experience with your motherboard, but on the CH6 there's the DRAM Boot voltage that can help, it'll apply the voltage as it POSTs which gives a better chance of the memory train succeeding. This will be replaced no doubt with the change in BIOS 9920 that POSTs with default SPD and then applies the BIOS settings to alleviate the issue all together.
Have a look in your BIOS for a DRAM Boot Voltage option.

Alternative things to look at are:
Bumping V-Core (yes, i know it's CPU voltage but increase in MEMCLK can require a bump in VCORE)
Increasing SOC voltage. I run 1.1v, this should be enough for most systems, but for testing purposes try 1.125v
Increase DRAM voltage to 1.4v
Play with ProcODT (start at 80 and work down, 60 is what i use with Samsung B-Die)
Set the Primary and Secondary timings manually.

Last edited:
Soldato
Appreciated - impressive given single tower/fan cooler.

I made the move back to quality air few years ago (but it's essentially a twin brick) - but considering a single tower/fan solution with my second PC - your results look really promising.

This hardly scientific but I'm happy with the lower noise levels and temps with moving to a decent air cooler. I also got a new notes app on my iPad so making use of that ;)

Quiet but cool is CPU fan at around 1000 rpm, the front intakes at around 1000 rpm and the rear fan exhausting at around 800 rpm. Air can escape from the top as I removed my 2 fans from there to test and I prefer the machine without them.

xtjjaqZ.jpg

Soldato
@Rossi~ Yes, it goes to 3200 in the BIOS, shows the correct voltage etc, but on reboot it does about 7 power cycles and defaults to 2133Mhz. Default voltage is 1.2v for anything up to 3000, a-xmp (3000 and 3200) is 1.35v so perhaps it tried to boot at 1.2v.

Yes, I installed the latest bios from the MSI download page.

Excellent info btw, very much appreciated

What a weird chip with this memory training thing.

Soldato
Looks like I was right about not getting more than 2666 for ram on 1600 matx build. Just testing ram a bit on that build now. 2666 won't really bother me on that box.

Currently testing the 1700 box ram at 3200. I didn't realise a) that super IO clock skew had such an impact on OC for ram, b) that my procodt settings would need to change. Generally, 53 has always worked for me with the 64Gb, but with the 32, I needed 60 to get to 3066 and 3200 is happier with 68...

Soldato
That Geil stuff isn't B die is it?

Having said that if they market as Ryzen compatible it should damn sure run at the rated speed :mad:

The GEIL EVO X for non-AMD systems is apparently B-die: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

I need to download Thaiphoon Burner and check if it is indeed Samsung B-die however.

I have read reports on the MSI forum that only v1.5 bios is working with 3200Mhz properly however, so I might give that a go. Probably gonna try the beta bios 1.72 first though.

UPDATE: I can confirm that the GAEXY416GB3200C16ADC GEIL EVO X AMD 3200Mhz Edition is Samsung B-die. I checked in Thaiphoon Burner.

Edit: will take this to the memory sub-forum. Tried beta BIOS v1.72 and released V1.5 and no change. Will load up v1.7 or v1.72 again and try the things you mentioned Rossi.

Edit2: I noticed that my uncore (soc) voltage was already showing as 1.15v in the BIOS. I haven't touched overclocking so I thought that was a little odd.

Last edited:
Associate
This hardly scientific but I'm happy with the lower noise levels and temps with moving to a decent air cooler. I also got a new notes app on my iPad so making use of that ;)

Quiet but cool is CPU fan at around 1000 rpm, the front intakes at around 1000 rpm and the rear fan exhausting at around 800 rpm. Air can escape from the top as I removed my 2 fans from there to test and I prefer the machine without them.

xtjjaqZ.jpg
Thanks for the info

Soldato
Well, the 1600 build seems to be running happily at 3.75. All I changed was the p-state. Passed several hours of occt linpack, temps were fine. no whea errors. Also 8 hour stpu memtest at 2667. So think that ones good to leave now.

The 1700, got the ram up to 3200 8 hours tpu memtest stable. But trying ot get the core clock up as high as possible. First attempt at 3.95 wasn't successful. Was hoping this would be easier with less ram.

Currently trying small bclck adjust to run 3950 with lower multiplier. That leaves ram at still respectable 3150.

Soldato
The worst thing I could have done is get the taste for overclocking again. I don't feel like the BIOS for my ASUS Prime-Pro isn't there yet and it's gonna get mucho annoying reapplying overclocks each time ASUS release new BIOSes but at the moment all I can think of is overclocking again. :rolleyes:

As for voltages this is what I want to try:

1700 at 4Ghz set to 1.41v. I know it can boot to windows at 1.4v but workers stop during Prime 95. So maybe depending on temps I start at 1.41v and go up to 1.45v untill I hit 75c.

SOC set to 1.1v

---

For RAM:

I want 3200Mhz. So set dram voltage to 1.4v put timmings in manually and set procODT to 60.

Does any one know what procODT is called on the ASUS Prime-Pro mobo as I couldnt find it when I looked.

---

For stability testing my target is 8hrs Prime 95 small fft and 8 hours hci for memory.

Last edited:
Associate
This time around ive used aida, realbench cinebench and gaming. More fun than watching your timer tick up to x hours!

only downside is when you get an occasional crash, just bump up the volts by 0.05. generally though cinebench will not run unless its at least moderately stable. In my experience

Soldato
When using Prime, Blend is good for general high load on CPU and RAM. But if you want to really stress Ryzen CPU with Prime, It's suggested to run 28.10 or latest BETA with custom FFT config (Min & Max = 128, with run FFTs in place selected.

That and Realbench, HCI Memtest and gaming is what I tend to use.

You can also try a custom AVX IBT using as much RAM as you can give it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom