Sound interference (very strange) [sorted]

Associate
I have transponders running simcom4 in chassis mode under my seat.

I have problems with interference on one rear channel, which seems to be related the rift. Moving the headset around makes a huge difference to the level of interference. Closing Oculus software almost entirely eliminates it...

Anybody else having strange sound related issues with Rift?

Associate
OP
OK when the lenses engage and produce a picture the interference increases massively...could this be a power issue and related to my gpu powering up for vr load?

Associate
OP
No, I have an Asus Xonar DG PCI card for the transponders. Onboard Realtek HD won't produce sound from the rear speakers for some reason....

I use steelseries headphones via usb for sound (Rift headphones removed and disabled)

Soldato
sounds like some kind of EMI issue. I mean I always have an issue with graphics interfering with on board sound - just not enough isolation.. though when I had a xonar on my old build I didn't get any interference. Is it possible to move the transponders away from the rest of the pc and keep any cables as far as possible from each other?

Associate
OP
Transponders are fixed under my race seat, well away from the PC, routed through a couple of LEPY 2024 Amp

It's weird it's only through the one unit, and it's the sound channel. If I switch cables to my front units the interference follows the sound channel not the physical hardware setup...

I think this points to something inside the PC case / software .

I can't wait for the new coffeelake to be released so I can get my new build...I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket...so hard not to pull the trigger on my wishlist lol

Soldato
No, I have an Asus Xonar DG PCI card for the transponders. Onboard Realtek HD won't produce sound from the rear speakers for some reason....

I use steelseries headphones via usb for sound (Rift headphones removed and disabled)

hmmm, Can you swap the front and the rears and see if you get the same interference on the front channels?

Associate
OP
I've been asking in the sound section too and have a couple of ideas to try tonight...

It's the channel that's the problem, when I switch the hardware round the interference stays with the channel/connection, not the hardware...

Soldato
I've been asking in the sound section too and have a couple of ideas to try tonight...

It's the channel that's the problem, when I switch the hardware round the interference stays with the channel/connection, not the hardware...

:) Sorry, just after reading your post where you said that!!

Possible Faulty sound card.

Have you tried downloading the drivers for your onboard sound card from Realtek? There should be a option in the settings to change the ports to rear speakers.

Associate
OP
Yes updated drivers, reading around it seems its a fairly common fault...I'd never noticed before as I've only ever had 2.1 speaker systems...I think the warranty might have expired as I bought the mobo in 2012 lol

Soldato
Yes updated drivers, reading around it seems its a fairly common fault...I'd never noticed before as I've only ever had 2.1 speaker systems...I think the warranty might have expired as I bought the mobo in 2012 lol

Read your thread in the sound card section. Kind of a waste to buy a sound card now if you are planning to upgrade soon.

Associate
OP
I think I have one knocking about I can try...I'm not going to buy one, although I will still need a good soundcard to run the transponders when I build the new rig...

Associate
OP
Yeah but I use speakers too, so I need the second card for the transponders...

All sorted now, I've fitted the alternate soundcard in a PCI-E slot and moved some power cables. No interference at all...happy times :)

Back
Top Bottom