Indian woman divorce husband because dem no get toilet

Caporegime
I am and I generally support the allocation of funds to further Britishness across the globe and bring stories and opinions to far flung regions which have access to none.

I cannot quite get behind this specific folly if I'm being honest.

Well this new service has been enabled by increased government funding (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...8933/52309_Cm_9161_NSS_SD_Review_web_only.pdf), if it isn't achieving the objectives then I wouldn't expect it to stick around. The reasoning behind it is sound though.

Soldato
Caporegime
Sheesh; as per the quoted comment. I support the strategy. I just question this specific effort!

You guys are tough.

I understand that, but this specific service is funded as part of a national security review. I'm not going to pretend to know the specifics behind it, but there's definitely a reason why the UK Government want people in West Africa who cannot read English to have the BBC as a news source, rather than (or in addition to) social media.

Soldato
I understand that, but this specific service is funded as part of a national security review. I'm not going to pretend to know the specifics behind it, but there's definitely a reason why the UK Government want people in West Africa who cannot read English to have the BBC as a news source, rather than (or in addition to) social media.
Neither do I. I would have hoped there would have been a greater benefit in promoting an education for English as opposed to researching this archaic form of it and then in turn developing and seemingly then promote a written form for it!

Soldato
Which seemed to be contingent on whether these people were paying the licence fee or not.
Not contingent on the part of the target audience of such a site. More a consideration for the funders for this site. Of which both UK tax and BBC licence fee payers are accountable.

It was a flippant comment which does not warrant further energy.

Man of Honour
Women's safety and discomfort is a key reason for the investment, as many are forced to travel to the fields during the hours of darkness.

What this quote does not make clear is that the reason that they go after dark is they are less likely to be spotted by men who will then rape them. Women being raped while outside going to the toilet is a huge issue in India. Communal proper toilets are pretty much the same. Only inside toilets are likely to be the solution.

Man of Honour
I never even knew Pidgin was a thing!

I don't quite get the beeb's angle though. Surely if someone can understand that then they can stretch a bit further to English? Or am I missing something here?

Pidgin languages (there are lots of them) are much simpler than a normal language. That's pretty much the point of them. They're a cut-down mashup with very basic grammar and syntax and limited vocabulary. The point of them is as a second language for simple communication. Some people speak language A, some people speak language B, both sets of people can quickly learn AB pidgin to communicate with each other. Pidgins are never meant to be proper languages - if one does evolve into a proper language it's not really a pidgin any more. Pidgins are useful, but they have low status and should do.

There are a bucketload of English pidgins because English is so widely used. The more they are encouraged, the more English will fragment and the less communication will be possible because different versions of pidgin English aren't mutually intelligible.

Soldato
To be fair, an outside toilet and just going squatting in the street are both very different.

I was talking to an older guy at work about this yesterday. He says he can remember when inside toilets were becoming the norm and the older generation at that time viewed the idea of pooping inside their home as pretty much disgusting.

That actually makes sense when you think of how outside toilets where used and particular how they were emptied at the time, and the people probably didn't have a proper grasp of how the modern sewage system would work. However, as you say, pulling your pants down in the street is another step entirely from using a purpose built privy closet!

Soldato
The old family home in Finland has no running water, though we have a well and a lake, and the toilet is still a long-drop hole in the old cow shed. You just do your business and chuck some sawdust on it. In the Winter, if there have been lots of visitors, the poo mound can get quite high as it freezes and you have to hit it down with a stick. :D

Associate
Well you learn something every day, had no idea there was such a thing as Pidgin English or that BBC has its own section. At first I thought it was an old April 1st article!

Back to the topic - how on Earth has India managed to develop a nuclear and space exploration technology, countless skilled doctors, thousands of Microsoft technical department experts to call you and yet still not have a decent sewage system in place.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom